Do you think 'Fake it until you make it' works to gain real confidence?

Fake confidence until you actually become confident. does it work?

• Yes
  • No
  • It depends (please explain)

Most Helpful Girl

• lmao I believe I'm the one who mentioned this earlier lol... YESSSS it does! I'm living proof of that silly rabbit.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 17

• It depends on what your faking. Is the person dealing with depression and self doubt or are they just a bit insecure?

In my practice I recommend all my clients work on self love and confidence. Self love is a continuum, if you can respect yourself more than 50% of the time you are doing great! I recommend using meditation to increase awareness.

We need ten positive thing to balance one negative. Sadly we are the most negative to ourselves. If you can build awareness and change your internal dialogue you can see more of the positive in everyday, and feel more confidence in yourself. It's a long practice, but works MUCH better than just faking it.
    Faking it can just make you good at wearing a mask and isolates you more from those who care and could support you.

On the other hand if you are just having one bad day, faking it might help you get back to your norm sooner.

• If you're putting yourself in situations that are painfully stressful, no.

If you are speaking your voice more, yea :) I think it works. For me, I was always super shy in class and rarely spoke up. But then I was in this English class, and I worked really hard on the notes so I wanted to speak my mind and make my ideas known. And so, in other classes, I spoke up more and more.

I think taking is slow but being deliberate is totally good for most people :)

• It depends on who utilizes it; for me, it worked because I realized that most people won't mess with a confident person.

• Well technically I think if you fake it then you can begin to believe it's real, thus gaining real confidence however small it is.

• i dunno, depends on the person. i guess it can, but it would probably take a lot longer than actually trying to build confidence forreal.

• It works partly, but not completely.

• I don't need to fake it.. never did.. 8)

• 50/50 it can to some and won't for others

• It can depend, but I voted yes, because it worked for me. xD

• Meaning I faked confidence until I actually really did feel confident. =)

• Some people it does and others it doesn't.

• It's like a placebo effect, it works if you fully commit yourself to it and believe it's true and will help you. But it's difficult because confidence takes courage, which takes practice.

• Yea it worked for me 😝

• It's true in some cases. It depends on the person

• it has not been that way for me but it may work for others

• Yes It works and helps so much :)

• It definitely worked for me!

• duuuuuuuuuuude
    i did this crazy thing before and it worked for some reason im not even kidding

every morning i looked myself in the mirror... like got close and looked in my eyes
    and said "you are strong, confident and loved... etc" like things like that and i repeated the same sentence for a few times
    and then went on with my day

a couple of days later... it worked o. O
    my subconscious believed it lol

I don't know why i stopped doing that lol

What Guys Said 23

• How do you mean, by 'faking it'? as a supervisor, with people that look to you, they will know you are 'faking' and you will never get their respect!!
    Any place that 'fake it until you make it' is probably some BS sht company that anyone with integrity would want to work at!!
    I'm all for the school of HK!! Hard Knocks!! You learn by fcking up, and you move on, with those lessons!
    You can't be REAL 'Leader' without having served your time, fcked up and failed, and got back up, and tried, again!!

• Absolutely. Just look at these black lives matter thugs, they started off with a bs lie saying they were being abused by society. As time goes by, they're now starting to believe that lie, and to make matters worst... they use that lie as justification for them attacking police officers, breaking into businesses, and attacking non-blacks. They've even convinced some white's to feel guilty, guilty for stuff they haven't even done.

If you don't consider that "Fake it till you make it", then I don't know what is.

• No lol fake confidence is just as bad as no confidence, it's better to be true to how you are at that time while working on gaining confidence by putting yourself in situations that force you to get better at the thing your lacking confidence in by forcing yourself to get better at it and adapt.

As a true example.
    I used to be terrible at talking to people and then one day I was looking for a job and I noticed a job working the front desk at a gym a job that would force me to work on talking with people because my job would rely on my confidence, enthusiasm and ability to talk and communicate with others. And knowing that was a weakness of mine I took the job and it forced me to get better at it and adapt, and now I talk to people all the time am good at talking with and communicating with others and I enjoy it, men, women, hot, ugly doesn't it matter.

• It worked for me. I was never too confident in high school. I eventually just tried not to be like that in college and believe I am a funny and great guy people like. And what do you know, I'm now the life of the party when I go out. I actually weight 15 pounds more, and still have a way better self image than I did before and I'm more popular with ladies even. It can take years, but it works.

• You can learn to be confident yes, fake it until you do.
    I used to be the biggest wimp in middle/high school until I learned that socializing is actually quite easy when you go online and don't have to face the barriers of looks and reputation.
    I started hitting up people, adopted a flamboyant persona and quickly became popular.
    To further my confidence in real life I started working out, gained about 30 pounds and changed my wardrobe a little.
    In a course of a year I went from the weirdo who collects pokemon stickers to the guy who fucks people twice his age.

• I think it can. It could help one to, if you will, venture out a little bit and try to get a feel for what confidence looks and feels like.

• Depends on the person. When I was a teenager, I didn't have confidence but when I got into the real world and was working, my job required a lot of confidence and I guess you could say I did this. There was times I embarrassed myself but all in all, I learned I could do much more than I thought and I built confidence. I've very confident today and glad I had the opportunity to learn to be.

• Way too many people are caught up in "confidence", especially women. So much of it is crap especially in younger people. Work hard, learn, perfect your skills and blow the "talkers" out of the water. Many who are confident, shouldn't be. Learn the difference, look at their results.

• Yes it does, the positive results and feedback earned through "fake confidence " will plants the seeds for real confidence to bloom. 🌻

• Unless you are very good at acting no way cuck. But anything is worth a shot, it worked for me because i was in theater.

• I have no idea

• I've always had it so I don't know the other side.

I've never felt at any point of my life that I couldt do somthijg or didn't have the confidence.

I'm arrogant in that way. When I go on job interviews I say all the time I got it ajs what happens I get the job

• Yes: confidence comes from noticing you can actually do things you thought you couldn't. If you forced yourself into trying those things it still works.

• It only works downwards, not upwards. It will only work on people dumber than you. It's essentially just another form of predation, and when that's the norm, you will eventually become just another prey.

• It doesn't need to work if people think it's real.

• yeah i think it works to gain real confidence

• no, it is cringey and it very obvious.

• You can fake it but you don't want to get caught faking it.

• Sometimes

• You should not involve others, like in a fake relationship. That might hurt them.

• It can, to some extent. But mostly it's better to get self-confidence the old fashioned way.

• It's the reason why people wonder why their partner stopped being confident and became withdrawn after being in a relationship for awhile. They faked confidence to get the person they wanted to be with but after awhile they got exhausted of faking and went back to their withdrawn ways. So no in the long run it always fails unless you actually change.

• That's just some bullshit people say to make you feel better about yourself.