Do you believe in zodiac?

Explain, why or why not.

Most Helpful Guy

• Not at all.
    Why?
    1.) Barnum Effect (personal validation effect): "the tendency to accept certain information as true, such as character assessments or horoscopes, even when the information is so vague as to be worthless." Horoscopes, zodiac sign traits, psychics... all of those things are fake. I can tell someone information that is true to about 80% of the population and make people go "wow, they really understand me." However, all I'd be doing is generalizing info and cleverly wording it in a way to fool the person (all for a pretty penny of course).

Here's a video of it in action:
    https://youtu.be/haP7Ys9ocTk

And here is the text from the "personality examination" in the video. It is a vague description fit into a cleverly worded and seemingly detailed one.
    micro.lonegunman.co.uk/.../derren-browns-forer-experiment-text

2.) Confirmation bias. Confirmation bias is the tendency to accept the actions that match your theory while ignoring the actions that go against your theory. From a practical standpoint, it is where the stronger a believer is, the more likely they are to accept the true statements a psychic or whoever tells them while ignoring all the false things that were mentioned about them earlier.

In action:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NNjseYUnNM

The zodiac, fortune tellers, astrologists, and the like actually upset me a bit because I know there are people out there paying top dollar for a total scam. I also know there is probably nothing I can really do to convince many otherwise (probably because of confirmatory bias again).

And, if you think about it logically, it doesn't really make much sense. I think I was born like a few days earlier than expected. My birthdate is January 18th. If I was born on January 20th though, I'd be an Aquarius. So... my personality would have radically changed based on a 2 day difference.

I find that if I tend to disagree with anything though, I always get at least one believer saying something along the lines of "but the fact your doing _____ proves it, because that is a capricorn trait." But, like mentioned earlier, zodiac traits are so vague. I probably fit into a bunch of 'traits,' but if offers no validity. Generalized traits may not be able to be proven false, but they are so vague they are worthless.

The zodiac is impressive in only the sense of a clever criminal-- a scam artist using psychological phenomenon for financial gain. Totally fake though.

• When I was 13-14 i read all of those shit about zodiac and i knew really many about it. But then i guessed that all of it was just a basic psychology. These days i read about it quite rarely. I don't believe in horoscope, I don't believe in zodiac. Even though it is an ego-boost to read those infos about Scorpio lol , but I've found out that, not only Scorpio's but other sign's traits fit me as well.
      That's exactly what I've thought about. If i was not born in an natural way but laparotrachelotomy, I could be another sign.
      I knew about Forer effect but that video is really great and thanks for sharing.
      Haha agree with your last sentence.

• Yep no prob. I didn't really understand the why everything was bogus forawhile, but then I spent time and researched it to open my eyes more. Crazy stuff, but I think it feeds off the natural human desire to determine our fate.

What Guys Said 20

• I think it is a bunch of rubbish. The only reason those people maybe correct with 1 or 2 things is because they are so vague with what they say that what they say can be applied to basically anything.

• Yes. I am a Capricorn. This is my perfect description:

dictatorial
    inhibited
    conceited
    distrusting
    unimaginative

Absolutely; I have no imaginations, I am very into myself, and I like to control others and rule everything.

"Capricorns are very independent because they know their capabilities and therefore they rarely trust others to finish details, they like to do it all themselves. Capricorn is the longer of all zodiac signs."

I don't know what the "longer" bit means but I do know that I am very independent because something about not trusting you.

"The Capricorn is the strong friend, they will always be there to help, they are very sympathetic, caring and helpful to a friend in need. A Capricorn will get someone back on their feet again with a steady plan for success and for all this, they expect nothing in return. The Capricorn friend is deep and mysterious and full of intrigue, there always seems to be something going on in their mind."

I am the best friend you can ever have.

"The Capricorn personality is geared towards that of leadership and achievement, they always want to climb the corporate ladder and be the best they can be. Capricorns have excellent sense of time and manage it very well, they are excellent organizers. Capricorns are very creative, not spontaneously creative but it is incorporated into their time management skills and their ideas for executing a plan. Capricorns make good, wise investments because they look at the long term and what will be the most beneficial down the road."

I read this as "obey the Capricorn".

"Capricorns might seem melancholy and stern because they live by self-discipline and responsibility. They evaluate everything and they don't take daring chances without weighing the advantages and disadvantages first. To the onlooker, they might seem boring but it is the serious drive and structured way of life that the Capricorn feels safe with."

See? I am something... boring? Waaaaait. Shit.

"Capricorns have this sense of melancholy and necessity for structure and work because inside they feel they are unworthy and need to continuously prove their worth."

Wait, fuck, what is this shit? I... goddamn it.

(http://zodiac-signs-astrology. com/zodiac-signs/capricorn. htm)

• hahah well... I'm a freelancer who despises corporate rigor, I kinda just throw shit out there without many inhibitions, and just about all of my major life decisions have been taken on a whim, with little or no weighing of the pros and cons.
      (:

DOB 1/1/1975

Well, there goes that. Was nice while it lasted. hahaha

__

Srsly, though, I once made the mistake of joking about the zodiac with some Indian business contacts... Never again. #awkward #learningmoment
      Apparently, the zodiac is taken with the UTMOST of gravitas in India, even in the most educated/formal/businesslike contexts.

(I learned this again when I went to an Indian friend's wedding a couple of years ago -- the ceremony had to be held between 2 and 5 AM in order to square up with the zodiac. Intense.)

• @redeyemindtricks I hope it was at a reasonable hour...

• Haha yeah it was (for everyone except me, ironically)

• Zodiac signs are studies of the stars. It believed that any effect that happens in on earth emanates in the spirit world. And the stars shows these signs before the happen.

• Lol it is 150% bogus

• Hmm i used to but Pisces just doesn't fit me any longer. Perhaps when i was young sure i was a dreamy-eyed little boy but now i am a straight edge, almost to the point of nihilism, though not quite there yet still working on it.

• Hmm that would explain why we understand each other 👀
      Working on it? Pm me about it.

• Nope I don't believe in it, it's nonsense but I admit fun nonsense that's interesting to read.

• I don't.
    Why? just read what @dangerDoge said, it covers the important points #lazy

• The definitions change constantly, can't even keep up with current lore, much less try to believe in them, lol.

• He's probably dead

• No, I've never seen any evidence showing proof of an astrological schedule that predetermines our disposition and personality. Why would it? That's silly to me... sorry.

• I don't care tbh 😶
    Though I have no idea if it's right or wrong
    What about you?

• Not in the slightest. Why? Common sense.

• Sometimes but usually not.

• No. I'm not remotely superstitious.

• NOOOOOOOOPE bullshit

• no, never did

• I don't but it's cool to learn.

• I believe in zodiac. I think the characteristic feature is matching with your zodiac.

• Nah its just false estimation

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 10

• I find it to be interesting, and like many things in life it holds some truth to it and I believe it CAN have an impact on the way people act etc. but I don't focus my life around it etc.

I'm a cancer and my traits very much fits those of a cancer, but there are many things where the cancer is incorrect in the reaction or thought process of things.

• No, I don't.

Following that, any change up there, in the sky that is, if there’s a change in you as well, then why is that not every astrologer believes in that? Every time you go and visit different astrologers, they will have different views on you.

No two astrologers will think on the same track. This proves that whatever movement they’re talking about, isn’t making any change in your life. Nope, not happening.

That's totally non-sense.

• Nope. I don't see how the stars affect your personality.

• No, I don't. They're fun to read, but I don't put much weight into them.

• It doesn't really make sense to me, so I'm going with No.

• No.. It's superstition

• I believe in it as much as I believe in the tooth fairy or the Easter bunny.

• I believe in the zodiac killer, so if he's at my door I'll believe whatever he wants me to, including zodiacs

• I really don't tbh...
    But apparently my personality somehow matches my zodiac for reasons I can't explain..
    Other than that, I think it's bullshit.

• Not really. I used to but then I started to realize that these descriptions are made in such away that almost anyone could apply them to their life in one way or another.