If you leave your car parked and unlocked in a bad part of town and it gets broken into or stolen, who do you blame?

The thief or the victim?

• Victim
  • Thief
  • both

Most Helpful Girl

• Your the one who left it unlocked in the bad part of the town so it did not get broken into, it was you responsibility to have your car locked, so the blame can not fully be left on the thief as the car was already unlocked so there for it was not broken into and that of you knowing it was a bad neighborhood you should have known better to have had it unlocked, he/she is just a thief who had easy access of the vehicle to have stolen the objects so if without any evidence of the sort it would be hard to prosecute the thief at hand so in this case hopefully the person left some kind of dna behind so that he/she can be identified and arrested.

What Guys Said 18

• Well the thing is, like insurance wise for many, you would be at fault if did that. So it wouldn't get covered. Can go for house stuff too, or at least was in the past anyway, not sure anymore how it is now about that one. Morally, in a way. It would be a mistake on your end, but fault would be the thief. But its kinda sad/funny how people bring up victim blaming a lot sometimes, like yeah for example rape then. But not by law in any civilised country its the fault of the victim if they get/end up in a situation like that, which fair enough of course. But at the same time we would have laws that screw you over for other things, where you get blamed for then example not locking your hourse or car. Like "How is it stealing, if the car was open with the keys in it?". Which yeah, may not be considered theft.

I just think regardless, same rules and principle should apply to more things, if things are "Never the victims fault" it should apply to everything really.

• Probably the thief. Even if I leave it unlocked it's still my car. A lock is like an extra layer of protection. Leaving a car unlocked does not mean it's not mine anymore.

• vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/.../latest

Ideally, I would blame the theif because it is not their property.

Realistically, I would blame myself because I am giving people an easy opportunity to steal my property and I should expect people would do so if such an opportunity is presented to them.

• Your both at fault the thieve for being a thieve and criminal and you for being stupid enough to leave your car unlocked.

• Well obviously the thief because you should be able to park your car anywhere and leave it unlocked what they did was the illegal part however you should feel stupid for leaving the car unlocked as you could have took caution to stop it, is this an analogy about rape and victim blaming because I've heard it used a lot.

• i blame the socialist system for not giving enough free shit to people, because they resort to stealing.

• Obviously, the thief.
    The victim could be from out of town. Or the victim could be forced into it out of necessity. There are dozens of situations like those.
    Even if none of the situations were the case, the victim could potentially be an idiot, but that doesn't mean stealing from them is right.

• The thief. It's my car; my property.

• Myself for leaving it unlocked. Myself for being dumb enough to not see what sort of neighborhood I'm in.

• Both. A person can never be right for stealing another persons belongings. But at the same time, a person has to be stupid to not lock their car

• Always the thief.

"If a woman wears revealing clothing in a bad part of town and gets raped who do you blame? Rapist or victim?"

Same logic.

• Both. The their was gonna break in that car no matter what. The victim just made it easier for them.

• both yeah

• Both

• its both fault

• Depends on what was stolen...

Some people leave their car unlocked, so they won't have to pay $200 for a smashed windows... For $1.50 in change...

But if you leave your car unlocked and leave your phone and laptop in it... then it's the owners fault...

• Both. The thief should not take advantage of an unlocked car and the person who owns the car should know there are bad people in the world and lock their car.

Your insurance provider would not pay out because they would say that you did not take reasonable steps to prevent it from happening.

• blame the black thief

What Girls Said 6

• People should be careful and take precautions, but the responsibility for committing the crime of theft lies squarely with the thief - they can't pass that off onto the victim and justify what they did by saying the victim had it coming. The thief's the one who decided to break the law and take someone else's property.

• The thief.
    I mean the victim was stupid for letting it open, but still, the Thief is the main one to blame.

• Blame the thief, but tell the victim they should take better responsibility for themselves. But it was not their FAULT it happened. It's sometimes complicated to word it though in which you aren't victim blaming.

• I'm sorry but if you're stupid enough to leave your car unlocked period, the it is at least partially your fault. It's like trusting your baby in a bear enclosure with trained bears. But if the bears get hungry and eat such child, oh dear it was all the bears' faults

• The thief is still the thief even if the victim is an idiot

• A thief who wants to break in will break in even if the car is locked.