Is it rude to blow your nose while others are eating?

I personally think it's rude, but what do you think?
Some people even think it's rude to blow your nose in front of others, no matter what situation, which I agree with if that person is constantly blowing their nose.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes! Omg, when I was at boot camp, the stupid girls would blow their noses in the middle of the meal! I'd get so grossed out, boogers are like the #1 thing that'll make me lose my appetite, that I could not even finish my meal.

And this was always the hardest thing about boot camp. Not getting up early, not them yelling in your face and insulting you, not the IT because I was belligerent, not the hikes and the fact that you never just walked anywhere - it was either running or marching, not the 30 second showers or whatever with all those people, it was the fucking meals! And it's not even that you only get like 5 minutes, at most, to eat.
    You only get THREE measly meals a day. THREE. And "dinner" was at 4ish pm. So if you didn't eat because some inconsiderate ass person blew their nose and made you lose your appetite for that moment, you were fucked. I was always starving, my stomach was like eating itself half the time lol

• The meals and trying to keep your sanity while disgusting people blew their noses during the meal, and missing the hell out of my family (including my babies - cat and dog) were the hardest thing ever during boot camp.

• Sorry, I was always give a life story with my answers lol

Most Helpful Guy

• In some countries it is a big offense.

My question to you, would you rather sit and watch snot drip out his nose?

• No, but they can get up and go to the bathroom, there's no need to do it on the table where we're eating.

• Well, at least you do it discreetly, I know of people and that are loud... really loud, and it bothers me soooo much. At restaurants I kinda feel embarrassed cause I'm with them and everyone is listening and looking.

• I can understand you not liking that. I am never loud like that. It is like some people have a noisemaker in their handkerchief. And the very thin mucous that I am talking about is very easy to quietly blow out and get rid of.

What Girls Said 19

• The sooner you blow your nose, the better.
    Even worse to have it dribbling out.
    Or if you can hear the boogery person snorting back their mucus for 30 mins when you're trying to enjoy your gravy.
    Bad stuff, man.

• Well I think it depends; I have this weird "condition" where whenever I get full, I get an instant stuffy nose. So I often have to blow my nose during meals. If it's with friends, I don't worry about doing it in front of them. But with others I'll do it in the bathroom.

• Yes, it is.

You should keep your nose clear of debris at all times. It is terribly impolite to wander around sniffing all the time. There are some people who constantly scratch or rub at the base of their nose to dislodge dried nose particles.

They think they are clever and look like they are scratching an itch and that others are oblivious to their semi-passive nose picking.

To those of you who do this: We know what you are doing. Do you think we're totally ignorant?

I'm from Estonia, by the way.

• It can be rude. I think if you can quickly excuse yourself to grab a tissue, then you should do so and then blow your nose.

• For me as long as it's not close to me, or doing it in my face. That won't bug me at all, though I won't do it in front of others since most likely they will think it's rude.

If they make a sound like my sister does when ever she blows her nose. I will be laughing my head off because that would mean they sound like an elephant. XD

• Yeah, it's disgusting, they should go to the toilet and blow their noses there...

• Yuck, yesss, it's rude...

• Yes, it's very rude in my opinion.

• It can be gross, yeah. I always excuse myself to blow my nose. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ just how I was raised.

• Yeah, I think they should go to the bathroom or something, it's annoying and gross.

• If it's just dabbing at the nose that's whatever. Full put blowing your nose like it's a trumpet is disgusting and kinda rude. I would just exude myself if I felt the need to

• I don't do it but it doesn't bother me if someone else does its better than snot running down there face lol but I refuse. Do that I tend to excuse myself

• letting it run down your face would be rude

• lol how is that rude? what if this person can't help it?

• Why can't they get up and go to the bathroom?

• Yeah but hearing the boogers coming out of their nose is kinda disgusting

• hahahaa then I don't know what people you're sitting next to, people around me are polite and I don't hear their boogers.

• I mean not necessarily, I probably wouldn't, but it's better than snot running down there face

• It's disgusting especially if you're in the middle of eating and it's not that hard to excuse yourself to go to the bathroom.

• Yes it is, unless you are sick and can't help it

• Vote A = Absolutely & also in front of others. I ALWAYS walk away from people.

• No it is better than dribbling, not rude if you have stuffed nose then you have to, otherwise it would leave you gasping for breath.

• No as long as it's not obnoxious

What Guys Said 14

• Yes I think its rude.
    Also, I'm a consistent perpetrator of said rudeness.
    I have fairly severe allergies, and although I try to be discrete, I'm do clear my nose at the table.

And yes, I'm appropriate ashamed. Though I'm still going to do it.

• Maybe yes but... if it were an emergency I'd do it anyway though I'd turn my head as far backwards as I could :o

• It's very repulsive, yes, I consider it rude.

• So long as you're polite about it, it's not rude. Like if you're eating and you have to sneeze so you say excuse me, turn your head and blow your nose in a handkerchief or Kleenex that's not rude. But if you're eating and you realize you're about to sneeze so you just let it fly, yea that's probably going to be seen as rude.

• What the fuck? No. If you're sick, there's nothing you can do about it. I'm not going to constantly leave the table because I suffer from hay fever. Seriously, there are so many more things you can be disgusted by.

• Precisely.

You can't be expected to leave the table every 17.6 seconds.
      Mb it's the dry versus humid climate, but, when someone's sick around here, it's literally almost a constant flow.

• @redeyemindtricks Yes. Right now, when I do sneeze, it's for two minutes straight because of all the damn pollen in the air. It doesn't make sense to leave and come back only to leave again.

• i not really care, so no, as long as it doesn't get in others food, but if im sick with a cold than i go to the restroom

• Not at all take care your business brah

• I personally think it's totally normal

But I also know the Japanese people think it's rude because they prefer to sniff around instead of just blowing their nose

It's weird because NOT blowing your nose when it's flowing is unhealthy. This is yet another one of those cultural phenomena that just contribute to our inevitable death.

• Yes, its very rude to blow your nose when people are eating. That actually has to be told? Kinda disgusting.

• Yes and it disturbs me 👿

• Generally speaking most people don't enjoy it.

• I think it is

• I would see them bowing their noses 5 times rather than seeing them breath in 50 times.

• Yes, if I absolutely have to try to turn away from everyone and low.