If someone of the opposite sex compliments you, do you graciously accept it or cynically question the motive behind it?

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 11

• Accept it of course.

• I want to know the motive

• Graciously accept it

• I just accept the compliment.

• I cynically question the motive behind it.

• Of course I'll still thank them, but I also question why they made such comment.

• It would depend on the compliment & who it came from. Most times yes I would just accept it.

• Depends on who/when/what/where/why

• why should it?

I say this for if it is a drunken guy in a pub merely trying to get in your pants, sure

But, referring to normal settings

• You can never be sure based on looks, everyone needs time to earn someone's trust. If you don't know them very well, don't distrust them, but don't trust them very much either. Everyone is just trying to get by, and they might get by on you.

Peace, stay safe.

PS. My grandfather was a major creep but is the same kind of guy you described, don't ever just trust old people.

• @Gommers well I don't really trust anybody I don't know because you're right.. bad people come in all shapes and sizes. But yeah, thanks for showing concern :)

• I would definitely question the motive..

• Cynically question the motive behind as I know what they want

• I graciously accept. :)

I dot understand why some women are rude.

• It is not just women, men also question the motive behind it

• Asker, very true I don't understand it? Hahaha
      I'm never afraid to tell a guy he is handsome. Maybe people are not used to this behavior. I'm told I'm very attractive yet when I give out compliments people these days act as if you're supposed to act like a snot. @BuchitaBuchys why question a compliment?

"You're really beautiful"- a guy
      "Omg, what do you want my number now?"- rude girl
      That example? Or did you mean...

"You're beautiful"- a guy
      "Oh thank you, why would you say that?" -insecure girl. Lol like why can't people just take their compliments and move on with life.
      Arnt we all screaming for a better world and when it comes people still complain. I've learned you can never satisfy people!!! Ugh makes me so upset sometimes

• I agree, i am older than you young ladies meaning i grew up in an age where connection was more personal. Not like now with retarded things like 'texting'

We would say to a woman she looked beautiful or the like

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Guys Said 7

• I deny in order to get more compliments. #Fishing101

• I always assume they're just trying to be nice to make me feel better, which feels condescending to me, so I don't like it when they do that.

• I don't believe any compliment from anyone. I assume it's all manipulation and I'll compliment myself when I'm ready.

• I do question myself (i. e. not out loud) the motives behind that.

• I have always cynically doubted it, bit I respond politely.

• Depends who said it but would accept it and question their motive in my mind

• There's always something fishy behind it