Found a baby bird? Did I do the right thing?

I found a black bird nestling on the floor in a pile of leaves. It was uninjured but my dogs were going crazy trying to get too it so I thought it would be safer inside. I fed it little pieces of hard boiled egg (i looked it up, its safe for them) since it was gaping at me and chirping. I went to look for its nest, I saw its mother around where I found it looking distressed. I ended up finding a nest, it looked like there was another nestling in there but it was hard to tell. I put it in the nest I found. Did I do the right thing? Do you think the mother will find it/care for it?

An egg isn't another bird... It would only be another bird if it was a fertilized egg, which it wasn't.
Its not cannibalism and blackbirds are omnivores. Eggs have the perfect amount of protein to help birds grow, clearly, if a bird can be made from those proteins. Chickens lay their eggs whether they are fertilized or not. Humans eat unfertilized eggs, so even if you incubated an unfertilized egg, a bird would never hatch from it.

Most Helpful Guy

• I read this article on National Geographic's website that says if the chick is indeed still a "nestling", and not yet a "fledgling", then it is okay to put it back into the nest:

phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/.../

I'm not sure how close a bird parent would build its nest to another bird's nest, but it seems to me --- although I could be wrong --- that you most likely found the right nest; I mean, how many nests could there be at that location, right? :o Maybe keep an eye on the site and see what the mother bird does. If it tends to the nest, then you probably saved the day. :)

• Yes I'm sure it was a nestling since it couldn't hop and was still pink. I found two nests in that same shrub but one of them was empty so I put it in the one that looked more used and from what I could see had another bird. I can see the nest from the window in my room, so I will be able to keep an eye on it. Thank you so much !

• Yes ! He's all grown up and still comes back sometimes for seeds :)

• Hooray! You are a life-saver -- literally! Haha.

What Guys Said 5

• I'm sorry but that was a bad move. Once the mother smells the scent of a human on the nest it will usually stay away from it and just abandon the offspring, not always it depends on the bird but usually. It might be fine but as I said it depends on the species and I think age of the bird. It was a good thing of you to do but the question is will the mother bird know that.

• Apparently the fears about smell are a misconception, according to National Geographic and also the Audobon Society, which say:

1) "parent birds do not recognize their young by smell. They will not abandon a baby if it has been touched by humans.”

2) "Birds have a poor sense of smell and very strong parental instincts, which means they will usually continue caring for their young. However, adult birds are cautious after any type of disturbance and it may take several hours before they approach the nestling. During this period it is essential that humans not approach the nestling."

So the real question is whether the activity (not smell) around the nest scared the mother or not, and if so, whether she will come back and tend to the nest.

phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/.../
      http://audubonportland.org/wcc/urban/babybirds

• @nfigure OH good. Thast what I had always heard I guess I should have researched that better. Thats why you take everything with a grain of sand.

• I dont know. But never feed a bird another bird that's cannibalism

• Its not cannibalism and blackbirds are omnivores. Eggs have the perfect amount of protein to help birds grow, clearly, if a bird can be made from those proteins. Chickens lay their eggs whether they are fertilized or not. Humans eat unfertilized eggs, so even if you incubated an unfertilized egg, a bird would never hatch from it.

• Hahahaha wow, you clearly don't know what you're talking about. Your'e also saying that anyone who swallows sperm is a cannibal, since sperm is what creates babies? An unfertilized egg will never turn into a baby. Just as an unfertilized chicken egg will never turn into a chicken.

• I refuse to talk about human you know what with you. It was a fertile egg until they destroyed that part of it. Buy its still an egg and you knew where that egg came from. So you clearly have no idea what your talking about. All you want to do is just try to win a debate for the fact of just winning a debate. Again Do Not feed any more birds an egg.

• Isn't feeding a baby bird, unhatched baby bird, considered cannibalism to the bird if the bird isn't a carnivore in nature?

• What the #Asker said. Most types of regular eggs you buy at the grocery store are unfertilized. Chickens just produce and release them similar to the way that human women have their periods every month, and farmers just collect them.

Plus, most of the substance inside such eggs are meant as "food" for a developing baby inside of it (if the egg is fertilized and thus contains a baby), which is why it is also nourishing for many animals that are already born (including humans) to eat that same substance within unfertilized eggs.

• @nfigure as the saying goes, you learn something new everyday!

• People are blaming you for feeding the bird eggs?
    Well screw them you did the right thing love you're amazing and it's rare to find someone like you 😘👍

• They're probably going to die now and the mother will probably commit scuicide because she lost her babies

What Girls Said 3

• A lot of birds will raise the babies of other birds. It should be fine.

• Of course you did the right thing. Hope mama bird takes care of it now. 😊

• Yes ! I saw him/her today flying and everything :)

• It did? =DDD Hooray lol! I'm so glad. :D

• The mother won't have anything to do with the bird now that a human has handled it.

• A myth and a completely false one at that