Manual or Automatic? Why?

So which do you like better and which do you drive? :)

• ManualManual or Automatic? Why?
  • Automatic Manual or Automatic? Why?
  • Doesn't Matter Manual or Automatic? Why?
  • I Can't DriveManual or Automatic? Why?
Am I one of the few ladies that drives/prefers manual?

Most Helpful Guy

• Automatic. If like to learn manual for the sake of knowing it, but I'm not gonna try and make driving more complicated than it needs to be. Like, the reasons for manual is because automatic didn't exist. Now they exist so it's fairly pointless. Kinda like a phone. We have cellphones and wireless house phones. Why use a corded rotary phone that's restrictive? Yeah, it's cool, but it's not really practical given the shit we have today

Most Helpful Girl

• Never had the opportunity to drive a manual, so automatic.

• Do many people only learn how to drive automatic in the US?

• @Dingsbums I don't know anyone who owns a manual. You are not required to learn how to use one in drivers ed either. The cars they provide are all automatic.

• Interesting because u learn how to drive manual here in Germany

What Guys Said 26

• i appreciate both.

i appreciate my automatic car because stop and go traffic.

i appreciate my manual motorcycle because enthusiastic rider

• I prefer manual... have had to drive an automatic gearbox once when I needed to visit one of my employers' sites. Goodness, it was an unpleasant adventure :-(
    It worked out eventually but you need to concentrate like hell if you're not used :o

• How do you need to concentrate? The fears shift for you 😂. Accelerate, break and steer

• @Other_Tommy_Wiseau the reason is simple: when you're used to a manual gearbox, the clutch is where the brake is in an automatic gearbox car.
      So you have to concentrate on NOT manipulating the clutch with your left foot or aaaaaaaaaah!

• I totally forgot about that. Good point 👍

• I prefer manual cause its the only thing I know. I've never driven automatic.

• I do like manual but for realistic purposes and me being lazy as a I drive automatic is much easier for daily driving. If I wanna have fun and do burn outs and shit I'll pick a manual for that any day lol.

• Definitely manual for me. More fun to drive and they are cheaper too. Automatic isn't common here anyway

• Its quite the opposite here in the US. Like 1 out of 23 newer cars is a manual. I think its getting less and less as our cars have become more advanced as far as sensors and self driving. I tried to do a burnout with my brother in laws new truck and it looks like shit cuz the new controls and sensors wants to straighten out the truck not like years ago where you had full control of the car lol

• If you're looking to have a little fun while on a track day or want to push your car to the limit and still have full control over it, manual.

For every other situation, which is 99% of the time for most drivers, an automatic transmission is way better.

• True. I love my automatic car. <3

• @Panay That fuel economy claim is disputable these days. With some automatic gearboxes that can go up to 9 gears or the CVT technology, fuel economy is very good and better than what most drivers can get on a manual transmission. ;)

• depends how good you are with the gears! but i agree they both have their advantages
      i generally prefer a manual just because its more engaging and satisfying to drive, especially on Britains windy roads.
      But for stop-start traffic and general commuting, an automatic is just a lot simpler, and why complicate things unnecessarily?

• Manual , automatic is shit

• Manual > Automatic

Automatic is for lazy people, it's no fun and requires little skill.

• There aren't any manual transmissions in the US anymore. Plenty of semi-manual (ie triptronic, paddle shift) though. I would say %10 of new cars are available in true Manual. Of that percentage most are unattainable.

I love manuals transmissions. Fine to drive and easy to repair. They last way longer than automatics and more durable.

• much prefer manual.

• Over the years I've owned and driven both automatic and manual. I love the ease of the automatic, but I've gone back to a manual, purely for the fuel economy.

• I voted manual but currently own an automatic

• Automatic, it's easier

• I prefer manual, but i killed the last one because of my driving style, used the manual to hard.

• Automatic... because why wouldn't I want more autonomy in my vehicle? The less I have to micromanage the better.

• I got my license today. Never tried automatic. Is it common in the US to drive an automatic in your driving lessons?

• Sticks are fun to drive. I'd just get annoyed of driving a stick in a bumper to bumper situation every day

• I prefer manual, but I drive an automatic.

• does it get me from "Point A" to "Point B"

• I grew up on automatic

• drive a manual but my next car will be automatic

• Manual is so 1960s.

• Since I'm a man, I have to say manual.

• dont care

• Stick! What's the point of having a sports car that's not manual? Paddle shifter is for wimps that can't drive stick.

• Don't care. I can drive either

What Girls Said 9

• I can't drive at the moment, but when I'll learn how to drive, I want to learn on manual because I want to own an old school car.

• 1|0
  • I can drive both

• It doesn't matter, since I am licensed to both automatic and manual. On the other hand, I drive an automatic car more than I drive a manual. It's much more easier and not that complicated.

I chose B.

• I can't drive manual so I have to go with automatic.

But this question is sexist.

• I can drive both.
    I used to own both.
    I prefer manual = a better performance + makes driving more enjoyable
    I now own an automatic Jeep Compass Limited 2013.

• Always wanted to learn to drive manual. But I drive an automatic

• I drive both but i prefer automatic. My car is automatic, It's easier.