Do you think its a good idea that I volunteer in a teen homeless shelter?

I have a Open Door Information Session tomorrow! Should I go?

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• Sounds as if you have passed the step to ask if you took the job. If this is where you are at, you can't bail.

Jobs like this, people depend on you. You could be the difference between an overdose and someone looking for a job.

I used to work next to a homeless and drugs shelter.
    Most of the time it was fine. I remember one day though, me and my boss saw this guy stumbling past at 10am, looking completely drunk.
    My boss went off on one on how he didn't understand alcoholics, alcohol and drugs are never an excuse,
    Blah blah blah. I thought he was a complete twat. He came from a wealthy background, a lovely childhood and attentive parents who showered him with money and attention. Coming from someone with the opposite I connected with the homeless more.

Anyway. This poor guy, about 2pm, he stumbled back past us. I said "is he okay? He doesn't look good" my boss said "he's drunk. Leave him. Deserves what he gets"
    Next think I know this poor guy stumbled into a wall and fell head first into the concrete floor. I jumped up "Boss, he's fallen, I think we should call 999"
    "No sit down. He's fine"
    "Umm... He's having a fit..."
    "Oh"
    Next thing, I grabbed the phone and I was out the door on 999 and giving help. My boss just stood awkwardly knowing his apprentice had cared more than him.

Turned out the guy had had no booze and because he was so addicted he had detoxed himself into a coma. I was disgusted with my bosses behaviour before but the fact I had to help someone with a head wound against his will just nailed the coffin. He kept saying about diseases. He was a human needing care...

Thing is, if you don't go,
    This the situation you could cause. The time to question it has been and gone.

What Guys Said 15

• Yeah, it's a good idea, JUST DO IT !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-sfG8BV8wU

you're gunna wake up and work hard at it

33.media.tumblr.com/.../...02zJfR1sxcftfo1_400.gif

• Of course, if you'd like too!
    Teens are not always the easiest kids but I'm convinced homeless who get some feeling of being welcomed somewhere will give you loads of friendship :D

• do you just go and click like on every opinion on your questions regardless of what the opinion actually says?

• Not always! Why are you mad?

• Oh I'm not mad. I just noticed that you click the like button on every single on of my opinions to your questions.

• What's with the question spree Apple?

If your working at Walmart, going to school and learning to draw anime, where are you going to find the time for volunteer work?

• it always looks good on your résumé. i think you should do it for that reason alone. also you can learn a lot and become a better person. so much benefit from that.

• Sure

• Sounds good to me, it'll look good on your resume.

• I think you should

• Thats certainly a very noble thing Apple

• Go for it as long as you're not over working yourself :)

• Yes. It's always good to get references.

• Yes.

• You might regret it. hahaha

• Why? Because?

• I've lived in a youth shelter for a little while and there are a lot of fights between residents and staffs. You'll have people cursing at you, and worse of all, being your co-workers bitch by doing the job they don't want to do. Who really wants to clean up puke? No one but they'll have you do it. I'm speaking from experience, based on what I've seen and know.

• Oh its horrible huh? haha! Meh I think the worst person I ever meet was myself. (:

• Yeah

• I wouldn't.

• why, so helping teenagers in a bad situation is a bad thing

• At what point was I trying to "psych someone"? I simply said I wouldn't. Keyword: I.

Also, you're a nobody to determine what's"right or wrong".

• @Waffles731 He can do what he wants. I know people who lived in homeless shelters (teens especially) and there are a lot of arguments and fights that happen between staffs. Staffs have been assaulted. You're coming off as ignorant, fuck off. I've lived in a youth shelter for a year and a half and I know what it's like. You don't. Fuck off.

What Girls Said 10

• That would be so sweet of you!

• Why not? See what you learn from the meeting. If you are still interested in the opportunity after that, then go for it.

• That's a really good idea. Employers love to see volunteer work on a résumé, especially if it has to do with people. It's good to have experience with dealing with all sorts of people, and because kids in youth shelters have such a vast difference in personalities, that's even better.

• Yes! Volunteering is great for good Karma & growing your personality

• "Volunteering is great for good Karma"
      I thought you were an atheist?

• Ah cool,
      Thanks for explaining, I try to understand peoples beliefs if I'm confused by them, I really do try to respect people's beliefs

• @Waffles731 Me too, but sometimes it's really hard, especially when people don't respect your beliefs in return. I had this muslim friend who would constantly tell me I was going to hell if I kept "denying" allah's existence..

• absoluteness girl!! it's the most satisfying feeling when you go in with the full intention to go and help someone!!

• Yeah, it's good experience.

• I personally wouldn't do it & would rather donate money.

• That sounds really nice. I'd be interested in doing something like that.

• I think it's a great idea.

• Yes.