Are guns the problem or are people the problem?

This poll is regarding the controversy around gun laws. It was also inspired by the death of Christina Grimmie a couple days ago! RIP

• Guns are the problem - if people didn't have access to guns, there wouldn't be as many murders
    25% (9)24% (16)25% (25)Vote
  • People are the problem - even if guns were banned, people would still find a way of killing
    75% (27)76% (50)75% (77)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
Omg just pick one or the other.. stop whining about the fact that "both" isn't an option like it's just an online poll it's not life or death.

0|1
12|39

Most Helpful Guy

• I wouldn't say that guns are per se the problem, HOWEVER what most Americans don't get is that A CULTURE OF GUNS is a huge problem. For anyone having ever travelled outside of the US, this becomes more than obvious. Let's take Japan as an example. Yes, Japan has murderers to, no doubt about it. The question: how many? The result: The murder rate in the Japan is 1.02 per 100,000, in the US, it's 5 times higher. Japan has 0.6 guns per 100 citizens, America has 88.8 per 100 citizens. America has ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY EIGHT times MORE guns than Japan. It's hard to completely grasp how much that even is.
    America is BY FAR the most violent country among all developed countries. And it gets even more insane: in America, more people are killed with firearms every year than in Iraq. In other words: the US is more violent than a failed state in the middle east that used to be a war zone until recently. Conservative Americans don't know this but several foreign countries (such as Greece or Australia) issue official warnings to their citizens traveling to America to watch out because the gun violence in the US is a serious threat to these foreign tourists. America is a very violent place and it is also by far number one in gun possession. Anyone who claims this is pure coincidence is either very stupid or tries really hard to remain ignorant.
    Psychos exist anywhere, even in the most peaceful society. And yet, gun crime rates in western Europe, east Asia or Oceania are nowhere close to what they are in the US.
    Perhaps the best example of how culture/mentality makes a huge difference is my country Switzerland. Switzerland is very popular among conservative Americans because it's apparently a proof for how gun possession doesn't necessarily lead to crime (Switzerland is currently the 5th safest country in the world). The problem is that these conservative Americans know very little about the status of guns here. Yes, Swiss people have a lot of guns - but NOT because we like them. Contrary to the US, Switzerland's army service is mandatory for all men. After your service is completed, you are REQUIRED to keep your rifle at home, in case a foreign country attacks us and there is little respond time. This system is called "armed neutrality" and it is based on a militia-style army. No Swiss person would consider it "fun" to walk around with his/her guns and feel all proud about it. Guns are something we keep in our closet at home and the only time we take them out is for

0|0
    0|0
    • the annual, mandatory practicing at the army base. Most Swiss guys find this practice rather annoying because it takes place on Saturdays and they can't meet their friends. It's not something we enjoy. Although Switzerland is number 2 in gun possession, our culture is very much anti-gun. In America, people treat firearms like drugs. You need them to be happy. In Switzerland, most people don't give a rat's ass about guns. This is also why Switzerland has NEVER had any school shootings in its 150-year history and only one single public shooting. America has several of them every month (sometimes even every week). Conservative Americans claim that guns don't kill people... and yet, when is the last time you've heard of somebody killing 50 people in a night club with a kitchen knife or slingshot?

Most Helpful Girl

• Let's just say, it's harder to do a mass murder with a knife. A gun sprays bullets in every direction within seconds. Mass murders would drop considerably without guns.

The UK has had 7 mass shootings since 1849 and America has 7 since Monday. America had 1000 mass shootings in 1260 days. It's unheard of in my country. Removal of the guns would be a good decision.

1|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 38

• People with guns are the problem. Keep them apart and there isn't much of a problem.
    Guns just make killing too easy. That's the problem. Flintlock muzzle loaders can not be used to shoot up 50 people in a club.

http://oi63.tinypic.com/33lh4l5.jpg

This is the REAL problem:

http://oi61.tinypic.com/2yydo9e.jpg

0|3
    0|0
  • I say option B. We can't ban EVERYTHING that can be used a weapon, that would be impossible. A brick is a weapon and I can buy a brick at a hardware store very easily.

Gun control would mean only bad guys have guns. Trust and believe that if someone was carrying in that Orlando scene where that shooting took place, that shooter wouldn't have the chance to kill 50 and would 50+.

He'd be dead way earlier in the incident and way less people would have been hurt.

There is a reason why these shootings don't occur in heavily conservative states where more people are into the gun culture, and open carry more often. These shooters target places that are way less likely to have armed citizens.

2|1
    0|0
  • "The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    - Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776
    www.buckeyefirearms.org/gun-quotations-founding-fathers
    "What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
    - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, December 20, 1787
    “They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759
    "Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops."
    - Noah Webster, An Examination of the Leading Principles of the Federal Constitution, October 10, 1787

1|0
    0|0
  • Guns don't kill anybody without a human pulling the trigger, but people kill people without having guns.

0|1
    0|0
  • Well just replace people or guns and see if you can get a different result.

Like replace people with AI. Other AI will probably abandon the guns in favor of the much more destructive instrument. Replace people will dogs and nothing changes because dogs can't use guns. So it's not really the guns problem.

Replace guns with chopsticks and see those incidents fall into minor tavern brawl. Replace guns with grenades and see the casualties rise. Replace guns with nukes and see end of the world. So there is something wrong with people here.

0|0
    0|0
  • Everyone just needs to shut up and get laid. World would be a better place lol

2|2
    0|0
  • People and the media are the problem to be honest, especially when the media glorifies these people and basically turns them into celebrities overnight so why wouldn't a kid who's invisible to the world want to commit a mass shooting when he knows he'll be known throughout the world?

Also a interesting bit of information is that a lot of these mass killers are people without fathers who didn't have a role model in life growing up or male attention growing up.

1|0
    0|0
  • People will always kill and fight each other over something and even sometimes over nothing at all. This is a terrible and cruel world where people can never be able to tolerate each other before their time is up here.

0|0
    0|0
  • Hasn't anyone heard about the black market or the Silk Road? Gun laws are for law abiding citizens

1|0
    0|0
  • I think people who keep asking this question are the problem. It was cool the 1st 400 times 😑

2|2
    0|0
  • It's humanity in the sense we naturally have the desire to mindlessly kill each other, and guns are available to these people because we don't have systems in place to sort who the bad guys are and who the good ones are.
    A gun in the hands of a good guy never did any wrong, but the bad guys look just like the good ones unfortunately.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't know that we have a problem with people or guns. The percent of Americans that will die guns is 00.01% and only 00.003% is actually from homicides. The other 00.006 is from suicide or accidental discharge. You have a higher chance of dying in a car crash than in a criminal shooting, but I don't think anyone is arguing to ban cars because we have a “car problem." And you'd have to multiply the number of all gun related deaths by 16 in order to reach the number of deaths a year from tobacco, but that's still legal.

0|0
    0|0
  • People are the problem. Cain killed Abel without a gun. Hitler killed people with manipulation and gases (granted guns were used as a threat)... People have been killed with (rat) poison), knives, arson... You name it. If it can kill, it's likely been used for murder.

0|0
    0|0
  • Personally, I blame the dolphins.

0|1
    0|0
  • People. I have more firearms than most small town police departments (which is pretty common in my state), and I haven't shot anyone. Hell, I haven't even shot a deer. Mostly because I simply don't feel like going hunting.

People that are intent on hurting a bunch of other people will find a way. Look at the numbers who drove their SUV's through crowds, or the turds that bombed the Boston Marathon.

0|0
    0|0
  • The people at Charlie Hebdo probably thought gun control was pretty great. the ones at the Bataclan, too. And at Brussels.

1|0
    0|0
  • Honestly it's both, but primarily the people who have the inclination to kill

0|1
    0|0
  • When you know that there are people out there hell bent on hurting your citizens and you're like "nope, lets not make it any harder for them"... it only makes an outside observer like me ask - why is this even a question?

0|0
    0|0
  • Automatic weapons should be illegal for citizens to have, background checks should be stricter, and something has to be done about weapons that have been illegally brought in

0|0
    0|0
  • People, but I believe that guns should be banned. People will still kill, but guns make it easier, especially assault rifles.

0|0
    0|0
  • People because they pull the trigger. Guns don't create themselves and don't pull their triggers by themselves.

0|0
    0|0
  • i dont understand why it has to be one or the other. Can it not be both? Clearly, both play a role.

1|1
    0|0
  • True people are the problem but if we dont reduce the ways of access to guns then murders will still happen as frequent. Not everyone should have a gun. It should be a privilege not a right like driving

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not that complicated. Having a gun makes it easier to kill. A lot.

It's impersonal, remote, clean, takes little time and energy, in comparison to using a knife, or a baseball bat for example.

0|0
    0|0
  • Both. Crazy people have easy access to guns. That's a bad combination.

0|1
    0|0
  • Both are troublesome. Of course, it makes sense for people to have something to protect themselves with, but when you let people buy high-powered semi automatic rifles and shotguns, it's dangerous to say the least.

0|0
    0|0
  • I can't stand bilateral thinking... "Both". Reducing things to just two states is so ignorant.

1|0
    0|0
  • people are the problem but guns don´t exactly help either xD

0|0
    0|0
  • It's the nutcases that own automatic weapons not people or guns

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 11

• Guns being so accessible to people is the problem.
    Guns wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for people who have completely delusional interpretations of various scriptures, or even perceptions/obsessions with various individuals. As seen in the case of Christina Grimmie. 😇

1|0
    0|0
  • Guns and people are the problem. You have eliminate one. If guns are taken away, sure people will still be able to kill others, but there would be less. Most killings are by people with guns, they're easier to use than other weapons.

3|1
    0|0
  • Guns aren't the only way people kill. Everyday objects can kill too. Baseball bats, kitchen knives, hell those people who set off the bombs in Boston used pressure cookers I believe. People are the issue, not the objects used.

2|0
    0|0
  • People are the problem, obviously, it's our decision to murder but at the same time, if they didn't have access to the weapons, it would be harder to carry out ideas.

0|0
    0|0
  • I went for the second option because people kill people but guns make it way to easy. Guns give the user a certain detachment from the act of killing they can make it almost effortless. Take the gun away and they have to do it up close and personal this takes a lot more time, hate, energy and savagery. Access to guns needs to be restricted to stop this sort of thing and education

0|0
    0|0
  • "It isn't life or death"

Erm... that's EXACTLY what it's about...

People with guns is the problem. Your poll is wildly vague and useless which is why people are having an issue with it...

0|0
    0|0
    • LOOL nah my poll was considered "great" by the GAG moderator people so they featured it...
      And I said the POLL was not life or death. Please go study basic literature and figures of speech

• I will, I'll get to studying them right now...

• And they will have liked the question, the poll is shit.

• People are the problem. A gun on a table right beside me wouldn't do anything to me, it's just an object. Once it gets in the hands of someone who is about to press, then I'm dead. That's where the problem comes from, when someone makes use out of it. Same goes for all kinds of weapons, not just guns.

0|0
    0|0
  • People are the problem, people killed way before guns came into existence

1|0
    0|0
  • Guns don't just get up and shoot people themselves.. Even if there weren't guns we have swords, knives, machetes. People would find a way. I mean, guns do make it easier but... Come on, we can't blame it all on the guns.

0|0
    0|0
  • Both are the problem.

0|0
    0|0
  • Vote B x 10000000000000!!!

1|0
    0|0