Are these common myths about cell phones really true?

1) Shouldn't keep it plugged in to the charger when it is 100%
2) Should not use it while it is charging
3) It is good to let your phone die once in a while
4) It is good to turn it off every once in a while

Are any of those true? I sometimes hear people talking about these topics but they never agree on anything

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• One of my jobs is for a cellphone company, I also have a degree in electronics, so here goes:
    Some chargers and cellphones do not have overcharging protection. The good ones do, so if you have a high end phone, and/or an expensive charger then you are fine to keep it plugged in, otherwise no, not a good idea, as an over charged battery can burst.
    2 the reason you shouldn't charge a cellphone and use it at the same time, is because the charging port is a weak link in the phone, and putting stress on it, by moving it around with a cord in it, can eventually break the solder connection between the port and the board. Forcing you to either have the cellphone repaired, or buy another one
    3 battery memory is not the issue that it once was, but it can't hurt to completely drain the battery once in a while.
    4 turning the cellphone off does refresh it's connection to the network, and kills programs that are running in the background, so it's a good idea.

What Girls Said 5

• I know with old phones (when they got a bit old), if you don't turn them off then on again every once in a while you stop receiving messages and calls, I don't know about smart phones though.

• #1, #2, and #3 are true that I know of. The first 2 for sure since when you do that it ends up weakening the battery and so you end up having to replace it sooner.

• I'm not sure if th

• Sorry, my phone went crazy! Trying to say: not sure but I've heard all of the myths.

• Not sure, but I know that with old phones you shouldn't continuously charge them.

• I think so. Apart from the one about using it while charging.

What Guys Said 8

• All of those are true except for number 2. Nowadays though if you are using the cords that came with the phone then number 1 is not a problem. Number 4 prevents system errors and it is essentially like comparing your phone to a computer. Do you turn off your computer once in awhile? Then you should do the same to your phone. I shut my phone down daily.
    Number 3 allows your battery meter to stay accurate so that is also important to allow it to occur once and awhile too!

• 1. No.
    2. No.
    3. "Kinda". Cycling a battery a few times is good for new batteries. It has no effect on the phone or any other device.
    4. "Kinda". It depends on what you do with it. If you're not running apps and such which could have memory glitches or take intense resources that need to be cleared, no, it's pointless. Just like a real modern computer, say Linux OS-type, which doesn't need to be defragmented, if you leave it on a basic word processor it benefits nothing from you shutting it off.

• smartphones have software which manages the battery when the phone is 100% it will prevent the cellphone from blowing up much like a laptop.

it is only required that you sometimes let the battery go under 20%. but thats not true anymore with lithium ion batteries, they dont have what is called battery memory.

• So then why do iPhones, after a certain period of time, just start dying at random numbers other than 0 or start skipping numbers? Is it just the battery simply getting old?

• Got you. Thanks for your input man. 👍🏽

• no problem.

• # 3 and 4 are both without a doubt true. my phone slows down and starts to act weird if not reset every once in a while as any computer will. #2 is false it has no side effects at all. #1 is debatable some suggest it shortens battery life though I have only had that problem only with laptop batteries

• No
    It knows when to disconnect the charger internally

Many researches done if cell phones are harmful or not
    And scientists didn't agree on something yet, so don't believe anyone who says weather if they are harmful or not , scientists still don't know

• 1) but if you don't that the battery life could last longer
    2) false it's okay to do that
    3) false it makes it unstable
    4) true and at least once a week is recommended

• I'd say number 4 is true. Let it reset itself. Its a computer it need rest lol.

• no they are not. and with 3 you do more harm than good