Should I enlist into the Navy?

Background first. I'm 24 and trying to put myself through school but I'm now running out of money as I'm in a 4-year uni and I'm not making enough to pay for my classes as well as support myself. The job economy here is still very bad -- especially for young people. I want a way to get ahead and everywhere I turn, all the doors seem to be shut in my face. I have my associate's degree and need help going for more as well as having benefits and extra income. I've fought going for a while because I was hoping things would improve but they haven't and I don't know where to turn.

Most Helpful Girl

• Why the Navy, as opposed to one of the other branches?

Curious, because you seem to have *that* decided, even though you're still on the fence about actually enlisting.

Most Helpful Guy

• If I was American and I wanted to join the military, I'd only consider the Navy if I had a realistic shot at becoming a SEAL. Otherwise, unless you get into Delta or some other special forces, Marines get so much more recognition even as a grunt. Third pick would be air force because, well, Top Gun.

• Why are we assuming American?
      (Americans don't say "uni")

• The "Top Gun" pilots were actually Navy, carrier-based.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 8

• Have you tried the Air Force?

• I think
    beside salary you should consider welfare. In my impression, Soldier still got paid after leaving troops. Although it is citizen's tax but I think they would understand.
    And there are benefits on military business you can catch if you want to take the risk. However, you can learn something during it in peaceful time.

• I say yes. People in situations like yours are the type of people who serve the military as a way to better their own life opportunity wise as well as financially.

• Depends on what you want to do, all branches of the military have pretty good educational applications.

• I would do almost anything before I joined the navy. I would even take out a student loan and finish my education. I used to respect the US military back in the 40s when they actually did something necessary, but now, they're just being used in an imperialistic way to occupy places. I wouldn't be proud to be part of the military these daya

• Do you see Navy as your only option, the last resort. If you're hearts not in it, I doubt you would survive long. If training to be in Navy was that easy everyone would join. So it depends on what exactly are your reasons. A means to hopefully finish your degree or actual interest in joining the Navy itself.

• Why enlist.. go NROTC and get commissioned dummy

• Well if you do just make sure you get all their "promises" in writing before signing.