The sexualization of characters in video games. Good, bad or not important?

I was just watching some highlights from E3 (a big video game event) and saw 2 girls playing the new Zelda game. They were running around the game with a topless Link (the main character) and making mild sexual jokes about his body etc.

I have no problem with this at all, but it did make me think. if it was 2 guys playing as a topless female character joking about her body, people would be up in arms marching in the street and kicking off about it. so why is it these 2 girls will have nothing said to them about sexualising a male video game character?

The sexualization of video game characters has been a hotly debated topic in the past and will continue well into the future and i just dont get it. In my opinion anyone who gets upset about game characters being overly sexualised (male or female) need to take a step back and remember they're not real. its just a bunch of polygons and it isn't exploiting or hurting anyone.

people will make the argument that the female chest is much more sexual than the male chest which is true, but its very rare to see fully naked breasts in video games as the characters mostly wear a bra by default.

I acknowledge that nudity/partial nudity doesn't belong in any game that may attract a younger audience as its not appropriate, but in games that are targeted towards adults there shouldn't be an issue. The argument that kids may see it is utter nonsense as its down to the parents to control what their children are exposed to.

Video games are an art form and have progressed so much in recent years some of them now resemble interactive movies. its no different to seeing naked paintings, statues and nudity in film.

One last thing as im running out of space here. Im not in favour for nudity in games, and im not against it. im about as impartial as you can get, but if the story benefits from nudity and its age appropriate (such as the witcher series) then there shouldn't be a problem. however not all people share this sentiment.

I ran out of space so I just wanted to add, were all adults so lets please keep insults to a minimum and have a rational discussion.

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• The only thing I take issue with is when guys are misogynist and will refuse to play a game with a female lead, I saw some misogynist comments in the E3 live chat and it just angered me.

• oh really, what game were they talking about? I've missed most of E3 due to work so only looked at highlights for games i was interested in

• i just finished watching some of the videos for horizon. It looks amazing. I agree, having a female lead character doesn't take anything away from the experience.

Some people are fucking idiots.

• It does look awesome, I'd like to see more of the weapons though they only showed like two weapons.

What Girls Said 2

• It doesn't matter. It's just a game, a fantasy. I like games the way they are. People make too much out of nothing.

• I have no problems with it. If you don't like it, then don't buy it. That's something feminists and SJW's don't understand.

What Guys Said 3

• Go outside. Look at a fashion billboard. Go to a grocery store, look at the magazines. Turn on the TV late night, look at all that sexual characterization!

It doesn't matter. Sexualization of the masses is an agenda that's long been in play. Bringing up the issue and its relevance to video games is about as pointless as telling a feminist that she's a slut. No it doesn't matter, because with society nowadays, sexualization is everywhere.

• The sexualization of video game characters doesn't bother me at all. It's the hypocrisy that bothers me (as you pointed out).

• I have no problem with it if it fits the world presented. It's just jarring when it doesn't fit the media.

Also, most sexy girls in games are made for cosplay.