Should I move to South Africa?

I'm a senior in high school. I was born and raised in Canada. My dad is a white South African but he immigrated to Canada in the late 80's. I recently traveled to SA and fell in love with the country. I loved the country’s climate that was beautifully warm and sunny without being absolutely roasting. have traveled all over the world and have to say that Cape Town is the most beautiful of anywhere I have ever been. It has gorgeous mountains, beaches, and wine farms. Should I move there for university? Is it safe for white people?

Most Helpful Girl

• SA is a relatively safe-ish country IF you stay away from townships and the bad parts. You'll also have to realize that safety precautions is a must. Walking alone at night is something you can forget about for example. So is walking around with a phone in your hands a no no. I study at Stellenbosch uni not too far from Cpt. There's a lot of political unrest between black and white at our uni but it hasn't impacted me or my studies at all. The other thing is our goverment is very corrupt and economically our country is on a downward spiral. If you plan to only come for your studies then I say go for it But for permanent residency I wouldn't advise you.

• Are you there on an foreign exchange program or you live there?

• I have recently been thinking about taking a year off to travel after graduating from high school. I might move to SA and go to uni there for few semesters. I can only speak English. would that be a problem?

• Nope that won't be a problem. English is still the primary medium for correspondence :)

What Girls Said 1

What Guys Said 5

• There are a lot of good (and some bad) things to be said about South Africa. However, the most important point is this: don't let yourself be fooled by what a country looks like while you're there as a tourist. Being a tourist and actually living in a country are two VERY DIFFERENT things. Some countries seem awesome if you're there on vacation but that doesn't necessarily mean they're a good place to settle down at. Many South American fall into that category. Of course, the opposite also exists. Some countries seem very boring when you travel there as a tourist and you can only see the charm once you actually live there (one example for this would be my country Switzerland). So the bottom line is this: don't just move somewhere, do a lot of research first. And even if you decide to go there, don't just cut off all your ties and move to South Africa forever. Instead, maybe try to go there for a longer but limited period of time. For example go on a study abroad exchange year to South Africa. During such a year, you get the opportunity to not just see the touristy sides of the country but also some of the darker aspects. This helps you making an informed decision.

• No, Absolutely not. Apartheid is a regular thing over there. Just because it's safe now doesn't mean it will be safe, later. At least move to Arizona. You can have guns here to protect yourself.

• Definitely research it fully! It's a pretty poor country if I'm not mistaken. Consider health care and things like that also. If you've traveled there already then you might already know but get to know their laws as well. Some of those countries can have some pretty messed up laws and you could get into trouble very easily if you don't know them. I would be reluctant to do this but that's just me, I've never been there. Just do your research.

• Im not sure about safety, but the country has come a long way. It's economy isn't doing so well atm though since commodity prices have been falling, but if you're just going for university, you should be fine

• Its not as safe as Quebec, but it isn't as dangerous as Port Morsby