Have you used a typewriter before?

Have you used a typewriter before?I haven't.

I think it's cool for a person to experience using typewriters just to have a feel of how it works like. After all, they've been widely used before laptops and printers came along. 😂

I've only seen several of them at museums and one at my elementary school's library before and they aren't even allowed to be touched.

If you have used one, how have you dealt with typographical errors?

If you haven't used one, would you want experience in using it?

• Yes, I have
  • No, I haven't
Wow I have learned that applying whiteouts on mistakes was a true struggle back then xD

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, I have. I'm a couple of years older than you, so back when I was your age, they were still more common. I actually learned typing in the 10-finger system on a typewriter, back when I was 9. After that, I used my typewriter for a lot of different things in school that other kids wrote by hand because I am almost blind and my disability makes it very exhausting for me to write by hand (I have to write large letters and that makes me slow). For example I wrote in-class essays on my typewriter because this way I was much faster than by hand.
    Having to correct small mistakes such as spelling-errors was actually the smallest problem. Applying some white-out isn't too big of a deal. However, the reason typewriters were truly annoying is because you couldn't edit your text anymore. Once you started to write a new sentence, you had to dead sure that this is exactly what you want to say. If you later figured out that you don't like a certain paragraph and you want to change it, you had to re-type the whole page. You can't imagine how much pain and what a waste of time that is.

My mom tends to be quite hostile towards modern technology, so she has actually been using her typewriter until very recently. She has to write a lot for her job and she only started using her first computer about 4 years ago. Before that, she didn't even know how an email program or Windows word functions. She just wrote everything on her typewriter.

• Take care of that typewriter; it's a gem
      I guess typewriters aren't for me because I love to edit my works all the time

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 22

• Annnnnnnd I officially feel old. I learned how to type on a typewriter😂 We had a class in 8th grade called Occupational Exploration, and typing was one of the major things they taught. That was 1993, so I'm sure we were some of the last kids to not learn on a computer. Getting even one computer was a big deal for a school back then, they were so much more expensive then and couldn't do even a fraction of the stuff modern ones do. I think we had one computer for our entire grade😂 It was also a broke ass inner city school system though, I don't know if they were already doing computers in suburban schools.

• I envy your experiences
      One computer for the entire grade must've been fun hahaha

• If you hit a wrong key and realized it immediately, then you could use either a correcting ribbon where you held that over the error and retyped the wrong character and it but white over the black to make it disappear, or use white-out, a liquid that you dabbed over the character. The correction tape made it very flat and ready to type the correct character immediately, but the white-out raised it up and took a while to dry.

If there was a mistake that involved to many letters or too few, there was no way to adjust the space.

In any case, resumes and scholastic submissions did not allow any mistakes, even corrected ones.

• Whoa that sounds a lot of work and typing must've been very careful before unlike today; we have the backspace and delete keys for correcting.

• True, but speed was still important. So one had to be extremely proficient while ensuring that no mistakes occurred.

• i believe people in their late 20's and older might have used them. computers weren't a popular thing back then.

• my parents had one in the house when i was younger so i used it a few times for fun.

• I have actually, and would love to get a personal one to write my poetry and stuff on.

• Yep! I used to do my book reports on them! Kids are so spoiled these days! They don't know the struggle of having to use white out when you make a mistake! Haha!

• I didn't realize that xD

• I was at the edge of typewriters and computers. I'd seen one, but I don't think I ever used one. Computers were used when I started going to school. Although, I definitely remember white out. Even if we didn't use a typewriter, my mom would use it when writing with a pen.

• I'm not sure. I'm quite certain I've seen one in person, but I'm not sure if I ever used one. Computers just about became mainstream when I was going to school. Otherwise, we did a LOT of writing if there was no typewriter or computer.

• 1|0
    • Hahaha I don't think so
      But that was badass! Those turning heads though

• Graduated my University with only a typewriter for term papers, essays etc. No word processors with "delete" buttons or ""backspace". It made me know what I was trying to say long before I typed it. Because with a typewriter, bro, if you start typing crap that is going nowhere or in the wrong direction, you gotta tear up the page and start again.

• Yeah. My mom use to have to type legal documents before computers caught on... So I logically played with them as a kid because they were around...

• yeah as a little kid at my grandma's home

• My parents used to own one years ago, yes I've used it a few times. You're shit out of luck if you make a mistake because theirs no backspace.

• yeah i have

• Yeah, it was a pain. Give me a text editor any day.

• Oh yeah, many a book report for school typed out on one back in the day.

• Yeah typing was not as carefree as it is now, whiteout and ribbon cables to correct typos were both sloppy and a huge pain in the Arse!

• Lol yes they're too much work
      And you have to spend money for whiteouts

• a woman in the US invented typex for dealing with errors of type writers.

• Yes but i broke it pretty quickly so I wasn't allowed to use it after, (this was in school).

• Yes i have. It's the ultimate machine of frustration.

• Yes, we had one when I was a kid. I'm not sure what ever happened to it though.

• Back in the day.. that's what we had :)

• no..

• Yes. The one in your picture (manual) you almost needed muscles to push the keys hard enough for it to hit the ribbon & leave a mark. Electric wasn't too bad.
    Typos were a problem to deal with.

• Wow that's awesome :O
      I didn't know they come in either manual or electric until now.

• This link not the previous one.

www.google.com/search

What Girls Said 9

• Gahhh. Back before desktop computers became a big thing, I use to play on my dad's typewriter. It was such a headache typing something and then you had to start completely over if you hit one wrong key. I'd have to say that computers are way better because at least you can hit the backspace if you misspell something or leave a word out lol.

• i can't tell you how badly i want one. I'm so excited to get one someday.

• I haven't but i would like to have a one like that
    img3.etsystatic.com/il_fullxfull.298579487.jpg

• Had to do once in an African country when I was updating a computer for my job. The computer did not have a word editor, so I had to type my final report on a typewriter using carbons. I felt like living centuries ago.

• sadly no. But i love hearing stories about how my parents use to write with them. Hopefully one day soon.

• I've tried it from a 2nd hand store and it was slow, musta been broken

• Own one

• I love typewriters 😊

• If you make a typo, you can backspace and it would type it over the wrong letter, but you'd have to whiteout the mistake first. At least that's how I did it :) It's quite fun but you'd have to practice a lot to make less mistakes