Do you think that most people believe that they are smarter than they actually are?

• Yeah, seems like it
  • Nahhh, I don't think so
  • Other

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm not going to generalize and say it's true but I have seen a lot of people who think they know more then they do when it comes to certain subjects or experiences especially when they have never been in such experiences or situations or when it comes to certain subjects. But there are also a lot of people who aren't like that either.

But you also have to remember being educated doesn't necessarily make you smart and defiantly not universally smart. A guy could be a the next Albert Einstein but he still won't know how to fix, service or even do maintenance on his own car and will still take it to a mechanic to do all of those things.

How smart you and your fields of knowledge are limited to the fields you went to school for and the experiences you've been through. As I've seen quite a few people with fancy degree's but yet they are woefully ignorant and stupid when it comes to things like politics.

But with all those things being said we all have the capacity to be incredibly smart individuals just remember to be humble and accept defeat when you know your wrong or something similar.

• Politics can be time consuming to learn about and for most of us the knowledge isn't of much benefit.
      I prefer to admit I don't really know witch side is best and focus my time on other things admittedly not all productive.

• @sedrftvgyhujik Decent policies I'd say.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's hard to measure intelligence to begin with.

I say yes, but there are people who underestimate their abilities and I'm like "but you're a genius!"
    So I don't blame people because as I said, how do we measure intelligence? It's easy to get it wrong as most people aren't exactly sure.

What Guys Said 22

• i don't really consider my intelligence versus other people. i believe i'm intelligent and that's as far as it goes

• Other:

"As circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." - Albert Einstein

I feel people who know a small amount about something feel like they know a lot. This happens because they don't know more than basics and therefore don't know about any complex issues or problems with whatever the thing is.

If all of the math you know is addition and subtraction, you'd think that being good at those functions makes you good at math. However, despite you not knowing about it, you wouldn't know about quadratics, Fibonacci sequences, or even exponential powers.

Since everyone has some amount of knowledge about many things, we all have subjects that we are, usually, unknowingly uninformed about. That general lack of knowledge we all suffer from makes it common for people to seem ignorant.

So, do i think people think they are smarter than they are?
    No, I don't think people overestimate their knowledge, I think we, more often than not, underestimate how much we don't know.

• Not really, I actually think people underestimate themselves most of the times.
    There's lots and lots of people that do awful in school and automatically believe they're dumb, when in reality, some are way smarter than those with good grades.

• What does it mean to have knowledge?

Gettier laid grounds for showing that a justified true belief could be separated from knowledge - a coincidental occurrence.

The ability to recall is what many people pride themselves on, but the inability to forget creates mental unease.

Analytic Knowledge comes from unifying details to form an underlying concept, to see the intention of others, to understand some beauty they see.

Lao Tzo would say a smart man discovers something new everyday, but wise man forgets something that had previously impressed on him.

• Most people rally are smart. I think it's human nature to think we're smarter because we disagree with their opinions or we look at things differently.

• Not most people, only some.

There is no arguing that someone with a doctorate is smarter than the average guy, so he has every right to think he is (at least in his field). They still take their cars to a mechanic to be serviced though.

• I would have to say, no. I believe that most people actually underestimate how smart they actually are. They have a limited scope, have been educated in a specific way and I believe that we all do not use our intellect to its full capacity. Plus, I don't think that 'educated' = 'smart'.

• Majority of people think they are exceptional one way or the other. Very few people think of themselves as average.

• Many with marginal intelligence do; if they believe intellect is important. They are usually of average or less intelligence and think they are smarter than they are.
    Those who don't pro-port to have a superior intellect, usually do, and they don't feel the need to engage with those who believe they are "smart", because it's obviously clear they they are not.

It's tough being a genius. ;-)

.

• I'd say I'm smarter than average because I do make an effort to read, expand my view points, and I try to be objective as well as open minded.

That said, there are a ton of people (particularly those in grad programs) who are way smarter than me.

• a lot of dumb people think they know it all. Just talk to me :)

• Americans are the worst when it comes to this. (I'm american) When they polled Americans teenager all them thought they were smarter than other countries even though they are not. Confidence can get u far though. lol

• 10000000000% yes

• Yeah, when in reality they're not even one 32nd as smart as they think they are

• Pretty much all of them... 'Cept for me of course!! :p

• No. Most people are actually down on themselves.

• Not me though I'm probably smarter lol

• I read the summary of a study that found people with high IQs underestimate their own intelligence and overestimate others' intelligence. Low IQ folks do the opposite.

The world snapped into focus.

• Yeah, this site shows that, everyone here seems to think they are smart or at least average intelligence but 80% of them are thick as planks

• As someone who knows people from all levels both college educated and not. Just because a man is not college educated does not make him stupid nor classless, or unsophisticated. As much as people have been educated many for all of their supposed intelligence are crude unsophisticated, and down rite idiotic. Intelligence doesn't always mean you must have a formal education... Sometimes education is self attained. I Know many smart people, lots are self educated because even college educated people didn't know so they learned on their own and now are pioneer's in math , science , biology, etc. just a thought for all the know it all's. Like I say never judge a book by its cover the story inside could captivate, and inspire..

• I hope not

• Feminists for instance and old people.

What Girls Said 12

• depends on the person. some do, some dont. i wouldn't say 'most' think they're smarter though. i believe the world is in shortage of confidence.

• There are people who think they are smarter than they really are, and there are people who are smarter than they think they are.

• No doubt. Just like most people rate themselves as much more open-minded than they actually are.

media.giphy.com/media/12lrEary0erJpS/giphy.gif

• Yea a lot of people I know are morons who think they're smart as fuck.

• yeah and it can be irritating at times >:(

• All the time. Especially on here.

• I'm pretty sure most

• I hit the button accidentally.

I'm pretty sure most people positively evaluate themselves more highly than is actually correct in various areas. For example many seem to consider themselves above average in looks but statistically speaking most are average. Average isn't bad - it's the majority.

• yea for sure, everyone judges themselves on their best subject.

• I would view highly of myself for a second but, let's just say there's a lot more people who are really smarter.

• I can't speak for everyone. Myself I'm barly average

• Some people believe that

• Many do. Im not that smart but i like to believe i have some common sense.