Advice vs Advise. Why don't you know the difference?

It really upsets me when I see people using these words incorrectly.

Advice
ex: "I asked my friend for advice today."

Advise
ex: "I would advise you to get started on your project early."

Is this clear now?

Most Helpful Guy

• Do you not understand that words are but placeholders for underlying concepts?

The word advice could easily be gluby.
    It's the relationship the words have together that attempt convey (at least a portion) of the concept.

I could easily introduce nonsense words that have no meaning into a sentence but you could still understand.

Ex1: Gosh I was driving down the road and this glimbo boshed my crumbish I had to swerve to avoid a serious accident.

It's really all nonsense. All air vibration. No reason to be upset. Especially if you the person meant advice when writing advise.

Most Helpful Girl

• And this is causing you some kind of pain? It must be for you to get this upset.

• Yes it is. The pain radiates from the depths of my soul.

• Of course I knew it was a joke. But why joke about something so... stupid.

• Hm, a lot of jokes are stupid.

What Guys Said 13

• I hate how so many fck up the simple Homonyms!! Your, Yours, You're and so on!! Then there is the less common there, their, and they're, which are also frequently mis-posted!!
    Are you an English teacher? :)

• Haha, no I'm not. I guess it's just that I understand the difference and I read it correctly. I get the message they're trying to say but I'll read it the way it's written and I'll notice that it's wrong.

• Oh, yeah, that is assumed, that a person has to 'interpret' the wrong words for what the writer meant!! :)
      My brother, his wife, and my mom were all teachers, so I am like 'OVERWHELMED' all the time with them correcting just about everything anyone says!!! It's a terrible habit, and I don't know how I picked it up!! Kind of like stepping in dog sht, with shoes that have a tread, and you just can't get it all out, so you keep smelling it!!! :)

• They're is a problem with this. I don't know if their different ways to use words.
    There so hard to understand...

:)

• Advice - a noun
    Advise - a verb

• Their all stoopid.

• Advice is a noun
    Advise is a verb

There's the difference for anyone confused.

• Are you looking for advise or something?

• I advice you to stop asking for advise.

Am I doing it right?

• Sort of like raping vs rapping
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NARxgXEdlzs

• This was never really a problem

• It's an obvious difference. Lol. Not hard to grasp.

• I know the difference former is noun.

• I know the difference OP

• The reason might be akin with why you aren't working for NASA, or writing 600-pages novels rivalling Hesse's.

As simple as that it is :)

What Girls Said 7

• I know the difference! Lol. My husband occasionally mixes up words like that, but English isn't his first language.

• I didn't know people could mix up those words. They're so different, I thought that was obvious. I do think it's really annoying when people mix up other words like affect and effect, than and then, their/there/they're, etc.

• Oops I never noticed if I'm mixing them up.
    English is not my first language in my defence.

• I already knew that advise is said like advize and advice is said like advice

• It could just be a typo or a mistake. Relax...

• If this upsets you then you dont have enough going on in your life.