If you were sentenced to time in jail, would you kill yourself?

I just seen a news headline about a man that killed himself in court after being sentenced to 4 years in jail. Would you do this? I'm not sure I wouldn't do that either. Hearing about what it's like in some jails, the conditions, diseases, drugs, violence etc, I think it would cross my mind also?

Most Helpful Girl

• Ironic you Should Say this, @GingerGuy... I was just saying to my Roomie last night While we Watched ID With these Women in Prison, that if I was Behind Bars, I would get So Oh... Anxiety Ridden.
    No, Never think about Doing myself In while Doing the Time of my Crime.
    Good luck and Great question. xx

• Thank you, dear, for the Vote of Confidence, and a new "Women in Prison" Tonite for my own Delight. xx

Most Helpful Guy

• Well... no, if I knew it was for something I didn't do... I'd just wait my time then sue the fuck outta the court and make sure it's a public affair. But I noticed they go easy on you when you have money or power... or both. The judicial system is pretty fucked up. But if it's someone that's being sent to jail for something they didn't do and was poor... I'm sure that would be on their mind.

Plus seeing the way things happen in America seriously I'm 100% sure it's on everyone's mind especially if you are innocent and found guilty.

What Girls Said 10

• i dont think i'd do it. it'd cross my mind, but i won't do it. breaking out would cross my mind first.

• No, I'd spend my time hatching an escape plan. It would provide hope and give me something to focus on.

• Nah, I would wait it out and make the best of it. Who knows? Maybe good behavior would help me get decreased time/

• Prison would suck shit, but jeez, 4 years isn't that much in the grand scheme of things. Depending on the sentence, you might get out on parole early too. I think although I'd probably get depressed as shit, it'd toughen me up shit loads.

• Nah, I'd just suffer through it. I'd try to kill myself only if it was a life sentence since that right there is a fate worse than death.

• If I were sentenced to life in jail without the possibility of parole then I'd try not to kill myself while I'm there just to get it over with and end the torture of being locked up.

• If I were placed into jail, it would have to be for good reason. I'd just deal with it and do my time.

• No I wouldn't kill myself.

• If I was ever convicted of a crime, it would be because I had been framed. So yeah, I would stick around until the corrupt DA was killed and the next one would hopefully let me out!

• I have actually said if I was gonna go to jail I probably would kill myself. Jails are not well controlled. Drugs, violence, diseases... I will pass.

What Guys Said 16

• I would become the jail librarian or book keeper or I'd escape.

• Nah, I think with my artistic inclinations, my love of classical music, poetry and beauty; I'd flourish in jail :D I'd be so revered for my sensitivity!

• It'd be little worse than how I've been treated at work. Only downside is, you can't quit jail.

• Speaking as to how I'd pass the time: I'd try to run the game night club. Or seize control of the dry erase board as much as possible. If there are classes and what-not, I'd try to be the teaching assistant as often as I could get away with it. I know most places don't have inmates printing license plates anymore. But if that program were still around, a little manufacturing experience could prove handy.

• It all depends on the prison. Here in Norway, prisons are hotels with walls.
    content.time.com/.../...07,1989083_2137368,00.html

So yeah, even beyond a decade, I'll stay there. No rent, free food, free education, playstation, doesn't get better.

• Nope, instead I'd do what any sane person would do, try to blend in and stay out of trouble. And if someone tries to mess with me well I'll do what I have to.

• For just four years? No. That's just silly.

• no i wouldn´t... i mean if it was life time, maybe. not 4 years... although life would probably a huge struggle after that, cause good luck finding someone hiring you after prison time.

• Probably.

• No lol. If it were life then maybe but 4 years? Stop being a pussy ahahha

• Depends on what I was convicted of.

• I likely would.

• No, lmao, what a pussy. If you fuck up, you take responsibility, you don't bitch out.

• no i would definitely not i have a friend who went to juvi and he said actually it wasn't that bad at all it is very dramatised in movies and tv

• No, that's stupid.

• if i was about commit a crime, i would extract cyanide from peach stones and make it into a pill. then i would put this pill in a little glass enclosure and put it in a rubber enclosure. i would swallow this and it would pass through my body safely. when i go to jail after the catch me i would break the glass container and let the cyanide do its work. if all goes well i should die under 2 minutes.

• Don't do the crime if you can't do the time
    I'd man up and face my punishment

• do the time, and get raped, and get aids and get other std's and get killed maybe. you are doing a whole lot more than time in jail.

• it may be, but more men go to jail than women. if more men kill themselves because they need to go to jail there is going to be population problem.

• They threatened me (but didn't follow through) because I didn't initially know the name of the orphanage that my parents adopted four kids from in Ukraine. Never mind I was on internship at that time, and was never in Ukraine. Also, because I made a web page to make answering the phone easier, and they were afraid that someone could steal my code and use it to make a virus or something. (It was crazy.) I'm super lucky nothing came of it.

Point being: they can put you in jail for any number of insane reasons today. Many of the surviving Benghazi witnesses were kept for months in solitary confinement, without a court date or even a charge, simply to keep them quiet.