Have you ever written an actual letter/postcard to someone?

Most Helpful Girl

• To myself when I was in middle school for an assignment. I'll receive it from my teacher when I graduate which I'm actually excited for. I'm pretty sure I put money in there 😂💰

• Aw that is actually a very good idea! I'd also make for a funny memory, once you see what you wrote. ^.^

I'll probably steal that idea for the children at my work.. ^.~

• The children I deal with is a bit younger, from 2yr-6yr, from 6yr-10yr and from 10yr-14yr It'll make for a fun/cute surprise at their respective last days there. Thanks for the idea. ^.^

• No problem 😛

Most Helpful Guy

• When i was young my girlfriend at the time and i wrote love letters to each other, at least 1 every week and often 2.

• That's how a relationship should be, at least early. Myself, we were forced to have/find penpals in school, writing to each other.. though in time, it was actually quite the experience.

• Yeah. I remember i always liked to write those letters. And to receive them. Smelling of perfume...

• Thanks for the mho 👍

What Girls Said 16

• My daughter is really into road maps and such (just like I was at her age... frightening, the potential nerdiness).

So, when I'm on the road without the kids -- like, just on a 1-2 day trip to visit a client or go to a trade show -- I'll stop at totally random places on the way, buy postcards from gas stations/drugstores/whatever other places, and send them off back home to her. <3
    She saves them in a scrapbook, and marks off the locations in a road atlas. It's SUPER CUTE OMGGGGG
    Let's just hope she still wants to hang on to that stuff when she hits the teenage years.

__

Also:

One thing I've done since I was a teenager -- my father got me started doing it -- is try to follow the "Send a thank-you to one person every day" rule.
    Sometimes this might just be a friend who did me a favor the week or day before; other times, it might be someone I haven't spoken to in 10, 20, even 25 years, but whose influence I recognize in my life and am thankful for.

When I have the time, I try to write these out by hand. Because I think they're more special that way. (And I even do corny shit like putting a wax seal on the back of the envelope... and, if we're being totally honest here, I *love* my own handwriting hahah)

These are usually appreciated, so, I guess I'm doing something right.

• That does so sound adorable. And I agree, even though I don't exactly send letters every day myself, what you're doing is a very good practice, and more than likely garners significant amounts of positive energy in your everyday life. ^.^

• The positive energy part, *unbelievably* much so -- and in return for such little effort, too (between 2 and 10 minutes a day, generally).

If you don't do this already -- the "thank one person/day" thing -- then, you should start doing it.
      I mean... I'm good at networking, but, honestly, just doing this one thing is probably 75 percent of "being good at networking". It's SO EASY (and so fulfilling) to do.

Also, it definitely keeps me humble, too. If I'm ever getting too full of myself, I can just sit down and think about the fact that I've written thank-you's to literally over a thousand people just in the last few years. That's over 1000 people without whom I'd be missing (or missing out on) *something*.

(And, last but not least, if you write a simple thank-you note to a marketing or PR person, you will get more free stuff than you had ever dreamed was possible ahahahahahah)

• Yes, I've done that several times. Written way too many letters in Polish to both sets of grandparents in Poland when I was a child. I even wrote one to them about a month or so ago.

I used to send postcards to a couple friends when I'd be in Europe for the summer, too. I once met this guy who was a hotel employee when I was just 13/14 years old and though our interaction was super limited in person, we stayed in touch via snail mail for a year or so afterwards.

• Sounds kind of like a penpal, that is adorable. ^.^

• Yup! When I was younger and people or I guess children didn't really depend on e-mails lol.

• Yes I have, we had this thing in high-school where everyone would send a postcard to everyone on festive occasions. Tbh I still keep those..

• I have written messages on other peoples post cards when hiking o/s, purely because they asked me too.

• Nope, I haven't.

• Yeah, it was for a class project and we were supposed to write a letter to each other and mail it off.

• Yes I have and still do. I send postcards and letters (fun) to a friend in Germany. He loves it!!

• Yes, there was a time that I did... Pre-internet/-smartphone years.

• Yes! Its so much fun to write letters to people and I've always wanted a pen pal so I had a reason to write.. Is that wired?

• Not weird at all. Communication is part of us. ^.^

• Yeah when I was younger

• Yes, to my SO.

• yes, when I'm in vacancy I always send a postcard to my family who can't come

• What is vacancy? :o

• @nfigure vacation, or being away/off somewhere.

• Ahh okay! I've never heard it used that way where I live, so interesting to learn something new. :D

• To my family

• I had to when I was a kid for school.

• Yes all the time.

What Guys Said 14

• Honestly the first time I wrote a letter to someone was to a person I met here and I'm happy to say we are still good friends.

• what the fuck, is this really such a strange concept now? I know most things are digital these days but surely letters aren't obsolete yet?

Im not having a go at you, im just surprised this is an actual question.

I was in a long distance relationship a few years ago and I would send her hand written letters once or twice a month. I know its the natural evolution of things and it makes sense for things to be digital but it is kind of sad to be honset. with how fast technology is advancing, give it a few hundred years and i doubt the average person will know how to use a pen, it'll all be touch screen or holograms.

anyway, I've shown how old fashioned I am so i'll stop there :p

• No no! Not at all! I'm questioning this, because wherever I go, people nowadays in their teens all have either phone or Ipad, and with E-mails it's diminishing the need for written paper.. sadly. We wrote letters back in school too. I'm feeling sorry for our children who may or may not experience actual books.

• ah, i see what you mean. we share the same sentiments.

there will be a day when hand writing is an obsolete art which is very sad but its the way things are going.

• In the early - mid 2000's I did. I think they are actually more fun than emails. Can be more creative and do it by hand.

• Yes, I wrote a letter to a friend once, and I wrote a few letters to a judge and a senator for Boy Scouts.

• Yes multiple times, including to my one of my girls I was with years ago.

• Not in a long time.

• Yeah, but meh

• Yes i did.

I actually wrote a love letter to a girl when i was 6 years old... ^_^

• Yeah, but that was forever ago.

• Once

• Yes.

• Yes. When I was little I sent my Dad a postcard telling him I broke the garage window.

• The good old days, children playing around. ^.^

• I did so, in ye olde times when animals still spoke to humans and dinosaurs ruled the Earth..

• Yes to relatives from vacation with postcards showing the location