Would a guy have dumb friends if he wasn't considered to be popular by his peers?

This guy who is smart in University (straight A student) has friends who are not even nearly as smart as he is.

Anyways, I don't get it. Most guys choose friends who are equal in studies especially for this kind of program (business).

I am so surprised to see how close he is with them. I'm not being judgmental out of my own personality but I do have common sense to understand most people wouldn't really be friends with someone with much lower potential in University unless they didn't have a lot of friends to begin with.

Most Helpful Guy

• "but I do have common sense to understand most people wouldn't really be friends with someone with much lower potential in University unless they didn't have a lot of friends to begin with. "

I don't think you have any common sense at all. Who chooses friends based on their academic achievements, that's just so fake and pretentious. I am friends with who I am friends with because they are trustworthy, fun to hang out with, they have great personalities and they are good people. Are you telling me I should stop being friends with them if their IQ wasn't high enough? That's fucking ridiculous and you will never have real friends with an attitude like that.

• Actually in business school EVERYONE chooses friends based on their academic potential.

• Well I know his friend. He's not a jealous or petty guy.

But the problem is that people likely treat the two of them differently and at some point that difference in potential *does* come in the way.

By the way, if anything I'm not judging him. I think he's a good person for not being so stuck up that he thinks he 'cannot' be friends with a particular guy

• "But the problem is that people likely treat the two of them differently and at some point that difference in potential *does* come in the way. "

I have all kinds of different friends and that does happen, but it has never gotten in the way so you are just straight up wrong. As long as you treat your friends well and as your equals all friendships can work.

What Guys Said 4

• "Most guys choose friends who are equal in studies especially for this kind of program (business)."

This is where you go wrong. Most guys do not care about that, but stay with people they like, can have an enjoyable time with and are loyal.

"I do have common sense to understand most people wouldn't really be friends with someone with much lower potential in University"

You are just shallow, thats all. Intelligence isn't everything. And not everyone who isn't in University is necessarily dumb.

Not to mention that many high-intelligence people know that they will rarely be among same levels of intelligence since they are too far and between. Thus they are fine with their friends being less intelligent, because they put other priorities.

• Well the thing with business school is that it's really, really cliquey.

Only the best of the people have the authority to behave a particular way towards others.

I agree that someone who isn't in University isn't dumb. But his friend, I wouldn't say he's dumb either (my mistake wording it like that), he is just very different in potential.

I do agree that most high intelligent people don't mind being int he middle BUT if they had a choice between friends who are more like them or those other people, they would choose friends who are more like them.

Hence my theory that he likely doesn't have a choice.

• Or maybe he just doesn't like the people in business school exactly because they are cliquey. Because such cliquey environments are rarely every about actual friendship and rather are aquaintances at best.

• Literally none of that is true

• you become friends with who you like not just who will help you improve

• Well yeah, you're friends are your friends for all different reasons, you need People who you can kickback and have fun with and all that stuff as well, and most of my friends I go way back with prior to university and we are all going in our different directions and were still close

What Girls Said 0