Why do you think people lie to themselves?

I understand the utility of lying to other people, but why do they lie to themselves?

Most Helpful Guy

• This could be for a number of reasons but all on the same boat. They refuse to accept reality for what it is and lying to themselves is them making excuses for something, ultimately laying out possibilities in their head as to why it is the way it is only because they do not want to accept what may be the case, to be the truth they'd rather make up another possibility as to why it is because that's a reality that they'd be more comfortable letting in.

Most Helpful Girl

• Because taking blame and facing our own flaws is hard for people. The other answer is they are sociopaths that see what they say as truth even when presented with concrete proof what they are saying is a lie.

What Guys Said 6

• The reason is the truth sometimes is too painful to face. This, people run away from it by lying to themselves.

• I think they do it to make themselves feel better but it just ends up making things worse in the long run

• Because the truth is too painful to face, so these people would rather delude their minds

• because they can't handle the truth

• Because the truth hurts.

• Because they're in complete denial of the painful truth because they're ashamed.

What Girls Said 8

• I don't think people intentionally lie to themselves, some people are just in-denial. They know the truth but refuse to believe it.
    It's easier to believe a lie because sometimes the truth hurts.

• people lie to themselves because they can't accept truths

• i think they need a nice WAKE UP call.

• the truth sucks sometimes, i lie to myself to make myself feel better lmfao

• To make themselves feel better about whatever situation their in

• They don't want to accept the truth. Sometimes it hurts tbh

• To make themselves feel better about whatever it is that they're lying about.

• Because they want to believe the lie.
    If you tell it to yourself enough, you will think it's true. And it will be... for you.