If you don't believe in souls what do you believe in?

The soul, the mind, and the body are a trifecta as old as trifectas come but some people don't believe in the soul and some don't believe in the mind leaving only their body. What do you believe in? How does it work? How doesn't it work? Are there any conflicted feelings?

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• Just biological machinery. I'm an engineer so I frame it in the context of programming. I see consciousness as something experienced, derived from sensory inputs and internal processing.

I also don't believe in free will. I don't think I'm capable of making any truly autonomous decisions. I simply think the near-infinite number of variables driving the decision gives me the illusion that I'm in control of it.

• There is one special quality to this machinery. I'm able to understand some of the internal logic and processing. I think that helps weave the illusion as well.

It's like if an android was not only programmed to make certain decisions based on certain inputs, but had an extra layer of meta-programming that allowed it to evaluate its own decision-making process and branching.

• "I'm able to understand some of the internal logic and processing." Perhaps "experience" is a better word than "understand".

• Last but not least, I think my consciousness ends forever when I'm dead or suffer massive brain trauma, like a dreamless sleep.

What Girls Said 2

• People believe in the soul. They just have different words for it

• I believe in souls

What Guys Said 3

• My belief is life itself. Whether you call it souls, spirits, ghosts or other, is up to you. I call it "Energy".

• We're does the light go when a bulb burns out? The light ends.

• I think the soul is what makes up your personality, and when you die, the essence of your personality is all that remains.

No fragile body, or vulnerable mind - just your pure essence. Still not sure where it goes though...