What compels a person to believe in spirituality?

Since I've been cursed with the inability to produce Faith I can't think if answers on my own. I'm not asking "why do people believe in religion". I'm just asking in general why people believe in things like karma, spirits, ghosts, deities, magick, etc.

I am not demanding "proof" or "evidence" or anything like that. I just want to know what it's like to believe in something you feel is true without the need ( really, the shackles ) for proof.

I imagine it's freeing!

Most Helpful Girl

• I dont look for hope or reason to live through religion but my spirituality is sort of based around not being so small, alone and isolated on earth. For example i lay on the roof and talk into the sky and say everything i wouldn't dare tell anyone else, like there's someone up there. And sometimes i believe i really am talking to the people im thinking of. Also I've worn the same necklace i made for myself when i fell sort of feel in love in January and haven't dared to take it off even though were not really together because i feel like if i do, he won't be with me again even though he never actually was. I feel like im being watched by some upper power but just watched i dont think they have any effect or power on earth just a silent presence.

Most Helpful Guy

• The question of what I believe or not is really irrelevant. I lay down in bed, and shit starts happening (err, metaphorically speaking). In addition, I understand why people don't believe (because their personal experience doesn't match mine, everyone will seek evidence to flatter their personal experience, we aren't objective beings).

What Girls Said 4

• I have a strong belief that the part we refer to as the soul is something which then goes on to inhabit another form. I see it as energy, I see us as energy and for me it is only logical that the spark that seems to give humans their... humanity (?) goes on to do other stuff... just kind bumming around the universe, taking this life, that life... being a part of a meteor belt... joining forces with other stuff and becoming a moon or a star... I dunno, but to me it makes sense and it makes death something exciting. You get to know what is next...

"We are stardust... billion year old carbon."

• You don't have an inability to have faith you just simply choose not to. For instance I'm sure you believed in Santa, monsters, tooth fairy, etc at one point so that says right there you have the ability to do so you just also have the ability not to which is what you rather do.

• No, actually I never did even as a child. It's not a choice. But thank you for your psychoanalysis. :D

• Because there could be more than what we can only detect with out 5 senses but we don't think primitive savages from thousands of years ago were able to comprehend it any better to others (let alone try to coerce others into believing their experiences).

• Because its quite obvious. And I've experienced a lot of those things. Life forces you to pay attention sometimes lol
    There are some people who believe and some people who dont. But I do believe in karma and spirtuality. I mean it all boils down to how to treat yourself and thy neighbor

What Guys Said 3

• I personally believe in the 'metaphysical' because I've experienced it myself which is the sole purpose people turn their beliefs to spirituality.

I don't think at least right now, science can prove the existence of the metaphysical because they're on separate planes they don't interact with each other.

• Irrational fears and hopes

• Do you believe in even common notions like luck?

• @bromartie

• Understood. Pragmatic to the end!

• Indoctrination from birth and a combination of psychological effects. All spiritual feelings and beliefs can easily be explained by science.