Does your level of wealth dictate how honest you are financially?

Most Helpful Girl

• No. We're poor but I'm not gonna say exactly how poor. Same if I was middle class or rich.

Most Helpful Guy

• There maybe anecdotal evidence for this but I would be of the belief that you could have a scrupulous very kind person and a morally bankrupt poor person and vice versa. To paraphrase "Its actions not words that define a person" - "Its actions not their bank account that define a person".

What Girls Said 6

• No, I don't believe in lying about these things. It would just backfire, if during the lying I've met someone awesome (friend or a relationship) then I risk loosing that person and regret it.

• nope

• no i dont disclose my financial information.

• Nope.

• Nope

• Definitely legit

What Guys Said 10

• Hahaha. I thought you meant like cheating on taxes or loan/credit applications, etc. You mean just disclosing how much you make?

Interesting question. I recently read one of those buzz into quotes on some business article, something to the effect of, "Americans feel more comfortable disclosing their intimate and sexual preferences and experiences to complete stranger, but are extremely ashamed and hesitant about disclosing their personal financial details."

I don't know, my opinion on this doesn't matter, because I'm an outlier. If someone asked me about personal medical details, I would tell them. If someone asked me about how much I got paid, I'd tell them. Whether it was $10 an hour or $158,000 a year.

Most people I know, however, are very secretive about how much they make. Low income persons are just ashamed and embarrassed. Middle class persons don't want their friends to think they have loads of money, so play it off like they're barely making it and struggling. Upper middle class and lower upper class... they are probably the most actively and consciously dishonest people I know.

I once had a client who was worth about $18 million in "net" worth (not just assets). He had 5-10 "idea" corporations or LLCs that had zero history of any meaningful revenue. I remember him getting into an argument with his CPA as to why the CPA would not sign off on the statement of net worth that he was worth $3 billion. He wanted to find excuses to include his CPA-approved $3 billion statement of net worth to random people on email chains. So, when his CPA deprived him of this fantasy, he was pissed at his CPA for forcing him to cope with the reality that he was not a billionaire.

Then again, I know wealthier families that are on the "barely made it" list accompanying the 400 wealthiest lost; social with the Bush and Clinton family, Bloomberg and Cuomo. Where they can drop $1 million on fundraisers to get the judges they want elected, because they got it like that. You would never know it. They have their OMG car, but they drive a Prius on the regular. They dress casual and normal, nothing fancy or flashy. They want to blend in and feel accepted rather than excluded or admired.

So, I think it fluctuates.

• Not necessarily. I've known some sketchy fucks that were loaded, and others that were so squeaky clean it'd make me sick.

• No, Oprah is an honest woman and rich. Donald Trump is a lying sleazebag and rich.

• In my experience, if you have made your wealth from business, there has to be a degree of ruthlessness and a bit of dishonesty, particularly if that wealth was made quickly. Or you are just brilliant and had a great idea that worked.

• Are you saying if I was broke, Would I say I make at least upper middle class income to get friends or girl? than nope.

• Yes.

• I don't discuss my finances.

• What that even mean

• I don't see the correlation

• What do you mean by "honest" ?