Heavier people, do you get offended when someone says "you would be so pretty/ handsome if you lost weight "?

- Others: Have you ever told someone they would look better if they lost weight?
Did you say it to offend or was it as a form of compliment?

Personnaly when I used to be younger and chubby it didn't bother me one bit when family and friends told me I would be pretty if I lost weight. It actually used to boost my confidence and make me want to lose weight even more. Which I did.

• Heavier people: No one ever said this to me
  • Heavier people: I have been told this and wasn't offended , took it as a compliment
  • Heavier people: I have been told this and it's offensive
  • Other: I already told someone this
  • Other: I have never told someone this

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• I've pretty much always been thin. I've never told anyone this. I feel it's very rude kinda like "you're pretty for a Mexican", and I know that's offensive to me so I've never gave anyone a backhanded compliment like that.

What Guys Said 11

• i'm not heavy but i would certainly be offended if someone told me that

• Well being thin I'm the opposite, but if I were told I'd look better with more weight, I'd just be more motivated.

• I was once morbidly obese and no one ever said this to me. But since I'm not fat anymore people remark on how much better I look so I they may well have thought it at some point, nowadays I think it about girls all the time. I know there's an obesity epidemic so it must be the case that there would be a ton (derp) of people that would be dayum fyne if they were skinny, I just don't think many people would say it to someone's face.

• Lmao
      I'm glad they said it to me tbh

• I don't think people would generally say it but it's kind of a wash, it does actually have a positive aspect to it. Many might be triggered my the 'micro-aggression' though.

• Tell them to get their shit together bc you love them and don't want them to die

• It can be offensive for some people, like my brother. It's like saying I don't accept you the way you are now. It's a pretty awful thing to say

• Im a bit on the heavy side and i can't remember if anyones ever said that but i wouldn't be offended, my thoughts would be more like ok, good to know and i still get looks from girls

• Of course, if you ask and want an honest answer. Then the answer obviously is if you lsoe weight you will obviously be more attractive. Its never in anyway to offend anyone.

• I'm not really offended if anyone tells me that, I'm pretty much confident about my body shape.

But there are some health issues.

• I've never told someone this but I've thought it multiple times.

• Sometimes

• I've only said this when directly asked to assess someone's appearance (and I think only online).

What Girls Said 24

• I've never told someone this. I never comment on other people's weight, I think it's extremely unnecessary and can be very rude as well. I'm very skinny myself and I know how uncomfortable it makes you feel when someone points something out about your weight, regardless of whether it's a backhanded compliment or just flat out antagonistic. People have told me that I look anorexic, or that I'm "omg so skinnyyyyy" and it makes me really uncomfortable and unhappy. So I'd never do that to someone else, I know how offensive and rude it can be so it's best to just not even go there.

• I remember being in an office, and some guy said, 'you should put some weight on'. I think I said something like, 'you should go and fuck yourself. Can you imagine how rude it would be if I made comments on your weight'. Soon shut him up.

• @Levin I really don't get how some people think it's acceptable to comment on skinny people's weight but rude to comment on overweight people's weight. It's rude regardless of what the person weighs.

• More unconscious behaviour I suppose. Many are asleep!

• Honestly, I think I'm already beautiful at my weight. Given my (and my family's) medical history, I'm not going to be at a "normal" weight for my height. Telling me that I would be so pretty/beautiful if I lose weight ignores the fact that I'm already beautiful, if not in a socially acceptable way.. So yes, I get offended when people say it.

• I'm not horribly overweight but I am overweight still and my boyfriend was the one that said it. It didn't offend me since I know he's right and I want to be thinner as well. Which I've made progress but for a bit now I've been stuck. At least I'm still toning up a good bit. :)

• Yeah, I usually tell that to people who see a necessity to tell me I would look prettier if I gained weight.

• I was overweight when I was in High School, and people would tell me that. I lost all the weight, and it turns out they were wrong. I'm still ugly. Now I get told I'd be better looking if I wore more makeup and dressed up. I do that and still look bad.

• If I was fat, then yea I'd take offense.
    Or if someone says "Oh you're pretty for a fat girl"
    Offense willl also be taken.

Just say you're pretty and move on.

• That's a backhanded "compliment"... and it is rude. Who asked you? Ya know...
    People live their own lives and they should probably mind their own business...

• I'm curvy. I'm not super overweight but I am fatter than I should be. I wouldn't be impressed if someone said this to me, especially if I wasn't asking.

• I've been told that, I don't find it offensive but I do think "Well just for that I'm staying fat so you don't think I'm attractive".

• When i was fat i was told i had a beautiful face my friend whom was a Red model used to tell me if i lost weight i could model. Hell even my undergrad teachers would tell me. it wasn't ever a compliment in my opinion just like o. k. lol But see i needed to get over and deal with childhood problems before i was able to loose the weight then i did. It wasn't a boost of confidence its like telling average face people to get surgery they will look better. Like mind your own business.

• only to my family, if my brothers got fat i'd just tell them straight up. tough love but i'm watching out for them. i'd never say that with other people, it's none of my business unless they ask me directly.

• yea I tell people this.
    when I say that, it s because I care and not to offend him.
    I want the best out of a person I care for.
    or else I wouldn t give a shit

• I used to get hassled when I was in high school by one of my teachers lol. Nowadays that would be a lawsuit!

• I feel like I wouldn't really be offended as such. I would think that their character is kinda flawed for saying that but it's not like I don't see that I'm fat and that I'd be shocked if someone told me that.

• I have been told that a few times, and I don't feel strongly about it either way. My reaction is "meh". I already know I'd look better if I lost weight. I've accepted that by being this way, I'm settling for less.

• I would never say that because it's a backhanded compliment. When I was younger and I had started wearing glasses for the first time, people would say I look better without them. Looking back I should've said they look more attractive when I am not wearing my glasses.

• I have never told someone this but I have thought it many times. I've seen some really gorgeous women and men that were big and I just feel they have so much potential and are wasting it.

• What an awful thing to say!

• Yep because I can't lose weight lmao but I'm happy where I'm at lol

• Who wouldn't be offended lol, what if they love the way they are. So rude.

• I never told someone this

• Other: I already told someone this

• People have said it to me, i don't care either way.

• As a heavier person, I know for a fact I would look prettier if I lost weight. It's not really a compliment but I don't think I'd be offended since it's something I have already told myself and accepted.