How to raise a kitten?

I may be adopting an 8 week old kitten and just realized I don't know what I'm doing lol. I've owned adult cats in the past but have never raised one from kittenhood. Any tips for me?

If it changes anything: I live in a house with an adult cat and two adult dogs who are friendly with cats (the younger dog can be a bit over-friendly, but if the cat "corrects" her with a bop on the head, she is respectful of that).

Most Helpful Guy

• Usually they need feeding every 2 to 3 hours, by this point they are just learning to regulate their own body temperatures, so you may have to keep an eye on if their cold or hot by the feel of their bodies, if too cold you'll need to get them to a warmer area and hold them to warm them up and if too hot get them to an area of cooler temps roughly about 80 degrees Fahrenheit, also by now they should have learned how to poop and pee on their own, if they haven't you will have to take a lightly damp rag and wipe their tummies and pelvis in a motion that simulates licking, for mother cats lick them to help them go until they learn how to on their own. Also they can dehyrate easily in warmer areas so keep an eye on them. To be honest there is a lot to do, but once you do them a few times you get the hang of it pretty quickly, kittens as all baby animals and baby humans require time and attention and can be a handful but its worth it. Oh also hold them every so often because they need the love to help them grow mentally and helps make them calmer and helps them enjoy affection down the road more so then if they werent held much. Also if the baby is still nursing by bottle, you'll have to get a baby animal bottle with a thin nipple because they work best, also when they get older every so often they will suckle on your fingers and earlobes and such if they were seperated to early from their mother. So ask the person you get him or her from if they know how to going to the bathroom on their own yet and if they are still bottle feeding or if they have gone to soft solid foods and if they were seperated early from the mother. When they get old enough they will need their shots and neutering or spaying, it seems like a lot but once you start you'll realize it doesn't take too much to do those things and help him or her.

• Thank you for the mho, whats funny is shortly after replying to your question we found three newborn kittens that the mom couldnt care for so we had to, one thing I've forgotten was they cry a lot and at 3 weeks to a month their legs are strong enough to walk and old enough to start weaning

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't know if this works with a kitten or only when introducing adult cats, but smear anchovy paste on all of their faces. They may growl and hiss at each other, but they'll also be more interested in licking the anchovy paste off each others' faces than in fighting. :-) This would only work if the kitten is weaned, though.

What Guys Said 7

• I took in a mom cat who had 6 kittens 2 days later. I still have 4 cats (all outdoor).

yes, realize it is a baby and will do baby things... they are all individuals and different. The kitten will take to the other animals, probably easily if not traumatized, but the others will need to adjust.

Don't give kitten free reighn of house, mine did a lot of damage. Do socialize the kitten with the other animals slowly... like lock kitten in bathroom until the two cats are comfy. Socialize with your pets and possibly others if you can.

Train it... how you want... like not to jump on the table and such, scatch furnature, etc.. play with it with toys, not your hands... leave the claws on if you can so it can go outside. I think they are healthier that way... but some will dis agree. My cats and seriously tough critters and I like them that way!!

all I can think of at moment. take videos:)

• Haha I will take lots of kitten videos :)

So the house I live in is pretty big. Should I confine the kitten to one or two rooms at first (like my bedroom and adjoining bathroom)?

This is all really helpful, thank you!

• definitely in a bathroom... and see how it does, give them a box and socialize, but don't let them just roam. When I got my first kitten (no other animals), it couldn't stand that, so had to allow into a bigger space and sleep with me. You gotta really pay attention to the cat, they are all different.

My favorite kitten I found starving off the road. brought home put in a cage... cried for hours. so I let him out and he slept on my head... for quite a while until he was comfy! We were so bonded, and he never caused a problem (other than serious medical bills... no such thing as free kitten..:).

The others I got (the 4 ) caused a lot of damage competing for space and territory and just weren't as intelligent of cats (mom was starving). But all individuals...

start with a smaller space and see how it goes... you don't want those two cats fighting for space or attention.

• Pro Tip: Make sure that the kitten doesn't die

cf.girlsaskguys.com/.../...5-8c96-3084de77c375.gif

• Oh boy haha, good goal to have!

• definitely, pro tips are for pro gamers only. Seriously though at first you want to keep it in a small room. Put everything the cat needs in there. Bed, sustenance, litter box and it'll be good. Keep the cat with you when you take it out at first then for the rest of the time stay with the cat in the room until it sleeps (if you want)

When it gets older open up some more space and see how it goes, eventually it'll hit the stairs milestone (might need encouragement) and at that point it owns the place

• A general rule with any animal will be part of the solution: when the animal does what you want (for example pee in the cat's box) you give the kitten attention and maybe something to eat.
    When it does things you don't want, no attention and no food.
    Hope some other GAG'ers will be able to add some other tricks :D

• leave it with its mother and father duh

• One thing fo sure is tk take pics! Lol I think you just have to show them the litter box, where food and water is.

• Pretty much the same as an older cat. Might need litter training and will need to be watch a bit more.

• Well, don't yell at it. That's the first thing I wouldn't do.

What Girls Said 2

• A must: buy the kitten a laser pointer. It's their favorite toy ever!

It's not hard, just litter box training which is thankfully very easy.

• Probably will need to house train the kitten some and teach them how to use a litter box.