How to stop loud chewers?

Almost everyone in my family chews very loud and its very annoying. I want them to stop, but I don't know how to say it. How can I?

Most Helpful Girl

• Ahhh YESSSSS I totally feel you. I cannot STAND the sounds made by mouths chewing food -- regardless of whether they're loud. I literally want to put my fist through a wall if there's total silence and someone is chewing food (even quietly) nearby.
    (And don't even get me started on people slurping soup... For some reason, this literally makes me want to throw up. I lived in Japan -- where slurping is actually considered proper etiquette -- for a little under 2 years, back in the day, and I COULD NOT STAND eating with people if soup was being consumed.)

aaahhhhhh

Anyway...

You might just have to try yr best to introduce some sort of background noise -- something that's loud enough to drown out the disgusting sounds -- into the equation.
    This might be music, it might be loud conversation, it might be an open window (if you live in a city with noise outside)... it might even mean leaving the vent running above the stove (if you eat in/near the kitchen). But, honestly, I think that's the best bet: Try to introduce NOISE into the situation, some way, somehow.

The bad news is, if this is a peeve of yours, it will probably stay that way forever. (I'm 2-3 times yr age -- and, as I stated above, I've lived abroad in places where loud eating is actually "polite" -- and, nope, it hasn't ever bugged me any less.)

The other bad news is that it's not yr house, and so it's not yr rules, and at the end of the day you really don't have much say in the matter. All you can really do is...
    • POLITELY raise the issue -- tell yr parents/siblings RESPECTFULLY that this is something that bothers you, and that you just can't seem to put a finger on why, but... yeah.
    • Try to introduce another source of sound or noise.
    • If a different eating arrangement is a possibility -- like, if yr family doesn't place too much importance on sitting down and eating together -- you may want to think about whether you might (at least sometimes) be able to eat separately or at a different time. If sit-down meals are a family tradition, then you won't get far with this... but, if they're not, then, sure.

What Guys Said 2

• Misophonia! I have it. It goes back to how my dad eats (chewing loudly while breathing heavily through his nose).

www.wsj.com/.../annoyed-by-loud-chewing-the-problem-is-you-1445277757

Apparently we just have to cope with it because any concessions others make to us is 'enabling' our behaviour. It kind of seems contrary to all the work that's been done to encourage support and understanding of mental health.

• You can't change them lol

What Girls Said 3

• Haha my sister does that, and I just stare at her and tell her not to be disgusting. Which without a doubt will make her chew extra loud.
    I think it's one of those habits that it's hard for the person doing to notice, so they probably won't remember to stop, even if you tell them.
    Maybe just mention in a polite/blasé way "everyone seems to eat really loudly in this family, do you think people think we're rude?" That might get them thinking about it and start changing their habits of their own accord.

• "do you need to make so much noise while chewing? It's not very polite"

• I feel like I'm the person who chews loudly but I really can't help it. I have a broken tooth and no money for removal so I can only eat on one side and I have to chew what seems to be a lot for one bite and it always seems super loud but I have my mouth closed and try to be quiet but it just happens