Would you date someone who didn't speak your language?

Or isn't fluent in your language?

The other day I saw a couple who had a language barrier between them (she wasn't fluent in his language) and I wondered: "How the hell do they communicate?".

Most Helpful Guy

• the universal language of love of course! also google translate.

yes, i would date someone that does not speak my language, Belgium is so tiny and the part where that speaks dutch is even more tiny. the only people i would be able to date where people from the Netherlands and Flanders. i would this would make my group of potential mates very small, so i would date people from other languages yes, i intend on learning more languages, dutch is kind of useless anyway.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes I would.
    In fact, I'm 100% sure that I will end up dating someone who doesn't speak my language. But I will speak his.

What Guys Said 30

• I have a Korean guy as my neighbour, who has an Australian girlfriend. He is not fluent in English at all, and can only string words together to communicate. She doesn't seem to mind at all, though. She is really patient with him, and helps him with his English. And they seem so much in love!

To answer your question - Yeah, I would date someone like that. And we could find some way to communicate!

• Not fluent is quite different from not speaking it at all. I would have no problem with dating someone not fluent in my language. But if we did not speak the same language at all there is no point in dating.

• thats a good question. I'm not sure, as communication is a big thing for me and if I had a difficult time communicating with my significant other that might present problems. I mean I wouldn't try and hold it against them too much because its not their fault or mine that we aren't fluent in each others language, I just believe in good communication with your partner and that would be difficult to do if you don't both understand each others language.

• Depends on the language. I can do French, Spanish and Italian. Maybe Portuguese and German. But they have to be able to speak some English. Although, there are headphones that can translate and google translate has a sick feature that can translate signs and shit

• My wife's parents were speaking French, mine were speaking Dutch but we were both fluent in both languages.

• Yes I would if I really liked her

• No. If I can't communicate with her and get to know her, it's gonna be impossible to date.

• Hell yeah!
    Look at Trump and his Wife, when they met her English probably sucked! now it worked out!

• Nah cuz she's a gold digger

• Damn right son 😂👍👊

• @Mario21 @ModernDayCrusader
      You three are delusional. I am pretty sure that's what Trump tells himself when he sleeps right next to her at night. LOL

• I dont know.. maybe? It depends like if I lived in another country and had not learned the language I might I guess. Thinking about it I would probably not mind the whole "not talking" part and just enjoy the physical contact more.

• Some people can I'd find it a bit difficult and a bit counter productive.

• Isn't fluent? Maybe. Doesn't talk at all? Well, do I talk hers? If so, yes, if not, well, you asked the question yourself, how are we gonna communicate?

• Communicating between people is easier than you think
    I have a friend who speaks Arabic and weak English married to woman speaks only Italian
    They are happy , and speaking a new mix of a language

• I guess I could lol. As long as Google Translate is around :p

• Nope, not at all.

• I don't know why but that sounds interesting to me I wouldn't have a problem with it, and I can learn languages quickly anyway

• if i loved them i'm sure we'd find a way :)

• Lol no

• Yes , with my broken English , lol

• Yes, i would.

• No way

• did not speak my launguange then no cause there is no comunication on an efficient level

• Dutch is shit anyway. If they speak English (or at least some) it's fine with me.

• Yeah sure why not!

• Naw thank you!

• yea I would, it'll be fun

• No way José

• Bro that's what Google Translate is there for 😂

• @Mario21 nooo communication issues soo important in a relationship. You need that with a partner. Otherwise it will be hell

• Bruh 😂 jk

• Sure. I have nothing to lose.

• I had a Russian girlfriend who only had English as a second language

• It would be very interesting! I would love to share languages, and I think the best way to learn might be so that you can communicate with a lover.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 24

• As long as we could understand each other, I wouldn't have a problem with it. If I felt that we weren't understanding each other properly, then that would be a huge issue.

• Yes, I would.

Challenging, even if you have another (non-native) language in common.

I am Estonian and I once had a Finnish boyfriend. Even though we had several languages in common to different degrees, communication was not flawless.

I've also had a Norwegian, an American, A russian boyfriend, which the communication weren't that hard overall.

So, yes.

• if that person wasn't fluent am fine with it... but not speaking at all and having a damn language barrier... hell no

• I seen this in a couple. They didn't work out as it also shows the inability to speak each other's language that they have very diff beliefs and the chances of that relationship to be successful is nil.

So its a definitely no for me.

• I don't really care if someone doesn't speak Spanish too well. As long as he can speak my 2nd language, which is English that's fine.

• NO, unless I could learn the language fast otherwise thats just a big barrier for me

• If he didn't speak any of the languages I do, I probably wouldn't. However I'm sure there are ways to overcome this.
    Fluency really isn't necessary. Communicate level is more than enough and there are high chances it will improve gradually by interactions.

• which language, i know a couple

• the ones you don't know, lol

• i mean most people around know the languages ik and i wouldn't date a guy who was super foreign.

• It would be a little hard but I wouldn't mind.

• I speak two languages fluently (French and English) and I'd date someone who only spoke English, but it's never the same as speaking your own language...
    All in all, I'd prefer someone who spoke French lol.

• Guys will have sex with women who do not speak the same language

I speak English and Spanish fluently, so I would date a guy as long as he knows English or Spanish

• My native language? Definitely. I don't even need that language in my life.
    English? I don't think so. I wanna be able to communicate well with the person I'm seeing, and I have no time nor patience to be anyone's teacher either.

• In the world only 4 million people speak my language so yep.

• It'd be pretty difficult with little to no communication so no I wouldn't.

• Yeah, my ex was from Germany, so we spoke English to communicate

• I don't know how that would work. communication is key.

• It'd be an adventure 😄

• Yes, I would. In fact I currently am.

• no hah unless you just wana fuck

• Yes @mario21 @SlightlyCrazy @akadatank44 lol guys I'd date one of u 😂😂 @this_is_my_username look at this now😂😂😂😂😂

• I would, but I'd want my husband to know how to speak my other language, & English so I don't know.

• I dated a guy that wasn't fluent in English. We could still communicate. He taught me some Korean, and I taught him some English.

• I know someone just like that. This man couldn't speak a lick of English but he was married to his wife who was fluent in English for over 20 years. I'd hate to see their arguments 😂

• if we speak a third language and can communicate in it... why not

but no common languges at all or can hardly communicate due to language? I don't know... no