I found an old suicide note from someone I know, what do I do?

I've always known this person was a chronic depressive and had suicidal thoughts. They've never attempted suicide but I've been aware of there mental health state for a long time. Right now they are in an upswing and doing fine but a little while ago they were in a very bad place. I found a suicide note that I think is from that time but I am not certain and I have no idea what to do with this information.

Anon internet is one way to figure it out

I'm not sure if this changes the answer or not but this person is one of my parents.

Most Helpful Guy

• I wouldn't worry about it, just leave it in the past. But if there are signs that the person is falling into a real deep dark and unhappy depressive moods again, then you may have to notify someone such as their parents or someone close to them about that note. But right now, just leave it where it is, as you said he's doing fine now and maybe his depression is over and it's best to not bring up his past, on what he had wrote and remind him or trigger all of those unhappy feelings again as to why he had wrote the note in the first place at the time he had wrote it.

• Thanks, I definitely won't confront them about the note. That particular episode is over I think, but this person has been depressed and getting professional help for decades. Honestly I'm weighing throwing it away or telling one of my siblings, but is prefer not to just because its hard to face and I don't want to freak her out. We all know they are depressed and suicidal but its hard to talk about.

• Just keep it archived an confidential, like I said, if there aren't anything strange about him that is really noticeable don't bring it up. But if he's starting to act really weird and appears to be in a really depressed and unhappy mood chronically and for a long time like he had before then you may need to bring it up and have him get help again.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think confronting them and holding the note in their face and saying don't do it is the thing (not that you would), but I think knowing this information now, you as a friend have more of an obligation in the future when you see them going down to be much more hyperventilate about them and being there for them and involving others in trying to help them seem professional help and bringing up the note to a professional if things get dark again for them.

What Guys Said 2

• It's old so whatever right?

• How long ago was "this time"?

• I'd say a few months ago like at the beginning of the year, but it was a downward spiral for at least a year and a half

• His medicine was changed recently and some other events happened that have had him so much happier than he's been the past year or so. But I'm just not sure what to do, I found it in his car which I am borrowing for the summer. So I don't know if I should pretend I never saw it or throw it away or tell somebody. We all know he is suicidal and he is getting help and is doing mucch MUCH better so I'm not sure if telling someone would be helpful

• Well generally it is the severity, not the happenstance, of these items and letters that matter the most; after all if there was a medication change knowing the effects of the prior medication would be more than helpful since it may mistakenly get represcribed without anyone knowing of the side-effects (but you) since as I said there are no "100% always and forever" SSRI treatments. Often you either have to change dosage or drug at some point to maintain the same effect.

But I'm just a kid. I really don't know.

What Girls Said 5

• I've written suicide notes and it's obvious it didn't work out because I'm still alive. I don't think there's much you can do, I think if you mention it to them. You might actually be reminding them of that time in their lives, I think the best you can do is just don't treat them differently, don't pity them. And just be there whenever they might need the support.

• Talk to them

• I wouldn't bring up the note but I would reassure them that you'd always be there for them even if they just needed someone to listen. <3

• let them know that you have the note, and they have 2 choices, come to you to talk when they are feeling that way, or 2 you will turn the note into a hospitable so they will have to go and get help.

• They have been on suicide watch at the hospital, I wonder if the note is from that time. They've always sought out the right treatment when they have these episodes. I really just want to throw it away but I feel like I have to tell someone just to get it out of my system. It's just really messed up, I found it in a car that I'm borrowing from them for the summer. I know I'd they knew I had seen it they would hate themselves but I so r think I can pretend I didntt

• Tell their parents