Is/was your school strict about dress code?

My school did not give a shit about dress code. There was a dress code but they would not do anything about the students breaking it. So there were girls walking around with booty shorts, and mini dresses. And guys walking around with naked women or guns on their shirts. They never got a single person in trouble for it.
But in middle school they were super strict about it. I remember Halloween in 8th grade my friend came in with cat ears and whiskers painted on and she got in trouble for it because "costumes weren't allowed"
it was BARLEY a costume but okay. Plus it was Halloween, let the kids have fun like wtf.

Most Helpful Girl

• It wasn't so bad, then one year we had the dollar bill rule, a dollar bill placed over the knee, anything higher than that was against dress code. Personally, I thought it was terrible. And I had a super devout science teacher who wore skirts down to her ankles and once she got me for wearing a skirt that wasn't too short, she was just a prude.

Anyways, it was followed depending on who you were and who saw you. Regularly, (as a cheerleader and as a bystander) cheerleaders broke that rule ALL the time with our short skirts. And also, some girls wore really short shorts and never got written up.

Also, my middle school had a rule on sleeves, ok, I get spaghetti straps can be bad, but we HAD to have sleeves, you couldn't wear a top like this

ak1.ostkcdn.com/.../...ated-Neck-Top-P16287851.jpg

or these

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...4f3e26425c.jpg
    Now excuse me, but if my shoulders are distracting boys, I think those guys are future perverts of America.

Most Helpful Guy

• High schools in my country Switzerland are quite different from US high schools because they treat their students like young adults who can take care of themselves and who have the right to be treated as mature beings, rather than being treated like little kids. Hence, there are no dress codes in Swiss high schools. The teachers and principles rely on the mental maturity of the teenagers to know what's okay and what's too much. Like... you might walk around in public with a lot of cleavage but nobody needs a law to understand that showing up at a funeral in the nude is inappropriate. 99% of people possess common sense and they will use that common sense if you only let them.
    Plus, some of the things that are considered very inappropriate for teenagers to even know about in America aren't really a big deal in Switzerland. For example when I was in America as an exchange student, my American high school was really uptight about showing affection. One time I gave my girlfriend a peck on the lips in the hallway while a teacher passed by and she (the teacher) immediately yelled at me, saying that's very inappropriate. I was really stunned and surprised. In Switzerland, you can French kiss right in front of the principle and he won't really give rat's ass. If he's a nice person, he might just think "oh that's cute.. mmmh I wish I was young again".

What Girls Said 18

• My high school was, any girl that dressed sexy got a huge ugly burgundy shirt put on them. They had to wear it for the entire day.
    I swear the shirt had to be 2XL.
    When you saw a girl come into class with that shirt, you knew she was dressed like a slut under it lol

• It was strict, we had to wear uniforms. We were obliged to wear the school's shirts and coats with the logo on it. For bottoms we were only allowed to wear two colors, beige or navy blue. Even if we wore scarfs, they had to be either of those two colors, same goes for the turtle necks under the uniforms, they had to be beige or navy blue. No jeans, no flip flops, no high heels, no colorful bra that's visible under shirt, no short skirts or shorts, no large earrings...
    Towards my two last high school years, dress code got even more strict. There were additional rules. On top of the rules we already had, for bottoms, we were obliged to wear the school's pants and during my last year, Ugg boots weren't allowed. Signs that stated 'Ugg boots not allowed' were everywhere in the hallways. I understand that Uggs aren't everyone's cup of tea. A lot of people hate them, but I fail to see how they're inappropriate for school, lol. Each student gets a detention for disrespecting dress code policy after the third warning. This quote is from a student who was me in class, "our school cares more about how we dress than our education 😂 " Hm, it's quite true, lol.

• Yes they were. All my schools I had a uniform and we were inspected before ever lesson that we were wearing it correctly. Our teacher would stand at the doorway and we were only allowed in once our top buttons were done up, our tie a proper length, etc etc. Yes the girls wore ties as well.

• Not strict, but bs.
    I wore 2 days ago a pair of longer shorts and I got tons of shit for it from my form teacher and the next day a classmate came in shorter shorts than I did and our form teacher didn't tell her anything. 😑
    Or I wore a tank top in 7th grade and got shit for it while a smaller chested classmate could wear them all the time because no one was bothered by it. 😑

• yes!

• My old schools were but the one now isn't at all. I wore a strapless dress (which is usually taboo at most schools) and no one said anything.

• My school was really strict about dress code. It's was so boring.
    Jeans, shirt, all sporty clothes (like hoodie, sweatpants, etc...) were forbidden. The only shoes acceptable was classic boots and loafer.
    We should wear a dress or a skirt or a leggings and a button shirt / polo shirt / sweater or a leggings. All of this should be in natural color. (like blue, grey, black, white, dark color and nothing too bright).

• My schools enforced the dress code, but I think most people followed it pretty well anyway.

• Yes it was... super strict

• ... VERY!
    Even on mufti days which we had to pay for.

Ex private girls school girl right here.

• I went to Catholic school, so it was pretty strict in certain ways. God forbid you didn't have your dorky sweater vest, but your kilt could be as long or as short as you wanted it to be.

• Some what but it was reasonable.

• My previous schools didn't have any dress codes. As long as you didn't wear something offensive (like a nazi symbol or something), then you could basically wear what you want

• 2 of my old schools wore but the one im in now i go to school every day in my pjs lol

• Strict and unfair.

• Not at all

• We had our school's uniform everyday but other than that the school wasn't partciularly strict about it. For example our skirts had to be a certain length but some of the girls especially some of the taller ones would wear extra short skirts and the teachers never really reprimanded them in anyway.

• My school was really weird. First it was really strict, but this year, the rules were bent so many times it wasn't even funny.

What Guys Said 6

• Middle school was likewise strict. We had to lift our sweatshirts every morning so that a classmate could make sure we were all wearing belts. It was bad given that most of us had morning wood.

• Very, we had a zero tolerance policy. If you were wearing, red, blue, yellow, gray, out any other gang color you got suspended, no questions asked.

• I really tried to be, but didn't stand a chance.

• Not really, the rules were reasonable for the most part.

• there were only 2 women in my school. we did not even have female bathrooms.

• Yes...
    They didn't even let us do the hairstyle of our choice