Why do we die? Why can't we live forever? What happens after death etc?

Why do we die? We should live forever... is death painful? I'm so scared of dying. I always think bout it. Too many people are dying! what happens after death?

Most Helpful Guy

• We die because our body is weak. Living forever would mean we, or evolution, would have to find a way for organic material not to age.

What happens after death depends what "you" believe in, since nobody could truly know.. however science would tell you that death is the absolute end.

According to me, death is indeed the end, and a dead person won't come back.. However, life's energy (or soul if you like) that inhabits everything, will leave once the host/body loses it's function and look for a new host.

• Death results from the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics right? That we are moving toward disorder?

• @JRICHARDS1996 That is correct. The cells in our body is constantly changing (what we see as aging) and expends energy by doing so.. Once they run out of energy, the body begins to die/wither.

• Oh yeah, Asker, death is not something you should fear. I mean, you should cherish the life you have, but fearing death only limits the life that you do have.

Most Helpful Girl

• Life cannot exist without death and vice versa. If we lived forever, the planet would become incredibly overpopulated within just a couple of years, and that wouldn't be good for the planet. Also, the fact that we die, makes life so much more meaningful. If we could live forever, everything would become mundane and pointless. Yolo and all that.
    Whether death is painful or not depends on how you die. Many people die peacefully, as if falling asleep. And at the very end, your body releases endorphins (a feel-good hormone) that actually makes the process feel good, and like a relief.
    What happens after death is a mystery. I think death is like when before you were born. Just nothingness.

What Guys Said 15

• Why do we die? Our bodies age and thus slowly break down eventually ceasing to function anymore. Or we are so badly damaged that a vital organ completely stops and it ends our life.

Scientists are slowly working on stopping the aging process. Some other creatures such as jellyfish, turtles and tortoises age incredibly slowly or are basically immune from age based death.

Is death painful? It depends on what caused it. One can die peacefully in their sleep or very violently. Or cancer and other disease can slowly sap all of their strength until they can't function any longer.

Everyone dies. It's not worth worrying about. It's a basic function of life.

Nothing happens after you die. You simply cease to exist.

• I think the better question is why would you want to live forever? and well whether or not death is painful depends on how you die, but death is not something to be feared, it's something to be accepted. Birth and death are natural parts of life, for every child that is born a person dies, and for every person that dies a child is born, the cycle becomes and the circle becomes complete.

Instead of focusing on death try focusing on life, make your life worth living so that when the time comes to die, you can look back and know you lived a wonderful life.

• Except that is completely inapplicable to most of the world population and even many impoverished people in the West. Nobody can look a starving African kid in the eye and tell him to make the most of life. This life sucks whether we want to admit it or not. Frankly 'Christ is risen' is the only thing that even remotely brings any consolation.

• Everyone experiences these fears. But over the course of your life you come to see things a little bit differently and the fear lessens.

Could talk for ages about specifics (message me if you want me to), but I always found it comforting to look at it as something that all humans have or will experience. It's natural.

• In a way, we do live forever. Matter and energy are never destroyed, they are just transformed. When we die, our bodies decompose releasing the energy inside them and eventually we return to cycles of nature.

It's a comforting thought for most people that a God of this religion or that will take you into his arms after your death, and if you must believe in this to get through the day then so be it.

I personally find much more peace in purpose in knowing the truth and accepting it. We will not live forever, the electrochemical transfers in our brains will cease, and the sensation of being dead will be as null and abyssal as the time before our birth.

I could be wrong, I'm not sure if I hope I'm wrong, but if I am there damn well better be stripper factories and beer volcanos awaiting me.😂

Everyone comes to the same realization you just have, and everyone is afraid at that point and many others. You'll grow out of it and other things will occupy your mind.

• Singularity. That would make us live forever, so it is believed. Not too many people are dying, there are more people being born.
    Though when you think of it, we all are already dead, we all were JUST born, and we all at the same time are here on gag. Both time and dimension work in strange ways. All time happens at the same time, yet our consciousness sticks itself on one dimension. Where did you think deja vus came from?

• Death just means you stop existing just like when you were not born

• Stem cells! :D

• nobody knows what happens after death, if you are willing to know just kill your self and see what happens and if you come back let us know, also I fear death too but I'm trying to not think about it.

• If people would not die the earth's population would explode and the Earth could not sustain all of the population. Resources, food and water are limited.

• Can you imagine the overcrowding issue if we didn't?

• 1. biology 2. rebirth anywhere else

• Death is the ultimate truth

• Your cells burst open. The process in which the human body decomposes starts just minutes after death. When the heart stops beating, we experience algor mortis, or the “death chill,” when the temperature of the body falls about 1.5 degrees Fahrenheit an hour until it reaches room temperature. Almost immediately, the blood becomes more acidic as carbon dioxide builds up. This causes cells to split open, emptying enzymes into the tissues, which start to digest themselves from within.

You turn white — and purple. Gravity makes its mark on the human body in the first moments after death. While the rest of your body turns deathly pale, heavy red blood cells move to the parts of your body that are closest to the ground. This is because circulation has stopped. The results are purple splotches over your lower parts known as livor mortis. In fact, it is by studying the markings of livor mortis that the coroner can tell exactly what time you died.

Calcium makes your muscles contract. We've all heard of rigor mortis, in which a dead body becomes stiff and hard to move. Rigor mortis generally sets in about three to four hours after death, peaks at 12 hours, and dissipates after 48 hours. Why does it happen? There are pumps in the membranes of our muscle cells that regulate calcium. When the pumps stop working in death, calcium floods the cells, causing the muscles to contract and stiffen. Thus, there is rigor mortis.

Your organs will digest themselves. Putrefaction, or when our bodies start to look like extras in a zombie movie, follows rigor mortis. This phase is delayed by the embalming process, but eventually the body will succumb. Enzymes in the pancreas make the organ begin to digest itself. Microbes will tag-team these enzymes, turning the body green from the belly onwards. As Caroline Williams writes in NewScientist, “the main beneficiaries are among the 100 trillion bacteria that have spent their lives living in harmony with us in our guts.” As this bacterium breaks us down, it releases putrescine and cadaverine, which are the compounds which make the human body smell in death.

You may be covered in a wax. After putrefaction, decay moves quickly to turn the body into a skeleton. However, some bodies take an interesting turn on the way. If a body comes into contact with cold soil or water, it may develop adipocere, a fatty, waxy material formed from the bacteria breaking down tissue.

• Well if we're looking at this from a religious point of view, I think we are put on earth as a test to see if we're good enough to go to heaven.
    But if we are looking at it from a non religious point of view then science I guess. But I don't believe we just stop existing after death. I think our energy converts to something or our spirit goes somewhere

• We die because our cells die. If our cells can reproduce fast, there's a chance we can live forever

What Girls Said 6

• We die because after a certain point our bodies cannot produce cells as fast as they die. We should only live forever if our rights to reproduce are stripped. I do not believe death itself to be painful, only the cause. After death our body decomposes and we cease to exist. I don't believe in souls or the afterlife.

• People perished because of their neg beliefs. This is one spoken many many times in here by almost every body here.

Life is short.

If you buy into it because mass consciousness dictates it in your face everyday. You are already conditioned.

• But be realistic, not everyone is gonna want to live forever because of the shit they spout to themselves, born with bad dna coding or they secretly knew their body cells were preparing them for an exit. they feel it literally.

It doesn't matter if death is gonna come but most importantly, what do we take out of living? Some of us are passionate enough to want to enjoy life and see it through they fulfil their goals. Others live a medicore life.

• If you decide you want to open up your mind on something that is totally opposite of death. There is a lot of dialogue opened up on immortality or just living much longer in the future by famous visionaries. Look up Peter diamondis and ray kurtzweil. Some scientists are predicting this will eventually happen but not in our time.

• we stop existing. Although if you're religious, you tend to believe in some sort of after life. Nobody can really say for sure what happens though

• Get religion if you are concerned. It'll help put your mind at ease.

• Do you want to live 120 and look so old 😱
    For me for example 65 is enough 😁
    Let the new generation come ✌️

• Eternal life or eternal punishment.
    Depends