Is being told you have a nice smile a real compliment?

Okay, so I work in a grocery store as a cashier. (And honestly, I flipping love it. I know it's not some ground breaking work, but I genuinely like it.)

But anyway, APPARENTLY when I'm at my register I'm very "smiley" and just seem super happy. I smile at all the customers, and ask how they're doing and what not. And well I just keep getting compliments from customers, and more than half the time, the compliment is "You have such a pretty smile". Not always those exact words, but it's the same idea.

I'm just trying to work out if they might actually mean it as a genuine compliment, or if they're just trying to be nice and make light conversation. And the compliment comes from both men and women (usually older women). I don't know if that makes a difference, but yeah. So when people say something nice about your smile, do they actually mean it?

• Yes it's a real compliment
  • No, they're trying to be nice
  • Other (explain pretty please in the opinions?)

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes it's a clear compliment but a really safe one. Much safer than saying, "hi there I'd really love to fuck your brains out"

• True, though I have had guys come close to saying things like that. See I work near a college. In the mountains. So you get both college boys, and rather brutish mountain men. (not that all mountain men are like that, most of them are the most gentlemanly people you could meet). But like, I've had a dude almost follow me into the bathroom on my break just to tell me I was beautiful O_o creeped me out, I was just like "um, thanks" and walked away.

Most Helpful Girl

• You must really have a genuine pretty smile, people can tell if someone is smiling with a fake smile i am guessing yours is warm and brightens the customers day, how lovely to see a smiling chashier than a sour faced one, you are a credit to your workplace.

What Guys Said 19

• A nice/great smile can draw people in, it's a good compliment.

• You are over analyzing this. haha, the only time I can think of when a person would lie about this is your dentist after they took off your braces and messed up.

• I think that is partly a youth worshiping thing. You youngans are less conditioned and dragged down, often. There's something quite breath taking about a *genuinely* open hearted smile, irrespective of age. Few have it. Many fake a smile to get through perceived social necessities and niceties.

• see I can't fake a smile. So what I do is I just think of something funny, and to me I laugh A LOT, like things are just funnier to me than anyone else. And so then I actually have to try and control my giggles at the register. But yeah, it's always genuine.

• You're the perfect employee :) Teach me how to be happy.

• Well like I said, just think of something funny! And eat Dark chocolate. Lots of dark chocolate.

• Its a real compliment. You must have a lovely smile that people like!

• I think they really mean it. And it sounds like you'd be a really nice person to have check out my groceries.

• I like to think that I am, but admittedly I'm pretty quiet, though I'm getting better about that. Sort of. But genuinely when you smile at people and keep like a light sort of expression and ask how they're doing, they leave happy enough. Except the assholes who check out but stay on their phones. They always stand there impatiently like you're personally offending them by not going faster than you can without dropping/breaking anything, and then they just leave really fast, no thanks or good bye.

• You can't do anything about the assholes. But I love it when I go through the line and the cashier is polite and smiling and friendly. I appreciate the fact that she's working hard and being a friendly person at the same time. You never know when your smile just might be the thing to make somebody's day! :)

• I know, I just really hate that. When people come to me on their phones... I don't ask if they want their milk in a bag. No, they can carry it. I am spiteful. xD

And it really does, it's nice making smile just by smiling at them, and Smiling induces happiness :D

• My question really is, why wouldn't it be considered a compliment?

• Well it's always felt like people just fall back on that one. Like for example, whenever I've gone somewhere with my sister and people compliment us, they always say to my sister "You are such a beautiful girl" and stuff and then they'll turn to me and be like "You've got such a pretty smile" So you see, it's seemed like a sort of fall back so they don't hurt my feelings.

• Only if they said you have nice boobs otherwise get the fuck out! lol jk yeah its probably sincere I mean its not like your paying them to compliment you that's kind of like prostitution its like they are paying for their food and really mean it either that or they are just happy they got their groceries and are just in a good mood. if you really want to know go to a sketchy dark alley and just stand around and see if anyone will compliment you lol.

• Oh yeah sure, a nice smile is the number 1 criterium to find a girl a lovely person :D
    Lucky you, you got THE compliment :D :D

• it's THE compliment? 8D

• Sure, it's much more important to have an attractive smile than any other beautiful body part... a smile attracts guys like a magnet :D

• if someone says you have something nice,
    it is a compliment

• For me it would be because 2 of my front teeth are missing. If someone still thought I had a nice smile it would make my day.

• It's what I get complimented on the most so I believe it since so many people say it.

• Hell, yes. It's a very damned nice compliment!

• Of course it is.

• It's an alright compliment.

• It's a genuine compliment, and reflects you wonderful. Personality

• Don't get much compliments do you that you even have to question it?

• Well before I started working I've been homeschooled and the only real interaction I've had with people has been from my family. Literally, before I started working I would go MONTHS without ever even leaving the house. I'm just not used to like, people. Much less compliments.

• I like that compliment, yes.

• When it's from lots of people I would safe it's safe to assume it's genuine

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 5

• It's a real compliment, but it's not just about your smile. It's also about your positive and friendly attitude.

• It's absolutely a genuine compliment. Nobody needs to make polite conversation with the cashier.

• I think it's a real and genuine compliment! I love nice/kind smiles, since it usually makes me smile as well

• I would say so.

I actually think if it's sincere, its a wonderful compliment. When someone has a really nice smile you kind of light up when you see that person.

A.

• People dont normally say things like that out of the blue esp to someone they dont know.