Not judging by the recent stock crash because that was always known to happen, it's a short-term effect which can be reversed. Our pound is weaker but we are still one of the strongest currencies haha.
- Yes75% (6)57% (12)62% (18)Vote
- No25% (2)43% (9)38% (11)Vote
Most Helpful Girl
Most Helpful Guy
Depends what you regard as "coping". Will the UK drown in poverty, crime, revolution and anarchy? Nope, certainly not. Will it become more difficult for the UK economically and will there be more poverty and unemployment? Yes, absolutely.
Economically speaking, the decision to leave the EU was certainly a bad choice. By not being part of the EU anymore, the UK has basically three choices when it comes to trading:
- Stop trading altogether. I think we can all agree that's not an option for ANY country on this planet.
- Pay billions of pounds for the custom duties in order to be allowed to trade with EU countries.
- Make an individual free-trade agreement with every single EU country like Norway and Switzerland did. However, there are several problems with this option. First of all, making an individual agreement with every single country in the EU takes time. A LOT of time. During this time, the UK economy is basically fucked. Secondly, while getting around the custom duty payments, the UK will still have to pay hundreds of millions of pounds to the EU every single year as a permission to have these free trade agreements. Thirdly and most importantly, in order to be permitted to make free trade agreements with EU countries, Britain will be obligated to adhere to ALL EU guidelines while at the same time having no rights whatsoever when it comes to political participation and the making of these guidelines. This is a big problem that Norway and my country Switzerland also struggle with. Switzerland's businesses don't always like the guidelines they have to adhere to and if we were a member state of the EU, we could at least politically influence these guidelines and decision but the way it is now, the EU basically just tells us "look, either you do what we tell you to do or you go ahead and fuck yourselves".
I'm not saying that the UK will only have disadvantages from leaving the EU but economically speaking, it definitely wasn't a wise decision.1