How do you stick to a budget?

I want to save more than I am now but it's so hard to stick to a budget. Any tips?

Most Helpful Girl

• 1. Make it realistic. For example, if $100 worth of groceries (even if you hit up all the sales and make rice and pasta your staples) only lasts you half the month, then you need to budget $200 for groceries. If you don't what really happens is you budget to spend more in other areas where you really could cut back and you go over budget because you're not going to starve yourself to save money. I don't blame you lol.

2. Hit deals and sales. Really, you don't want to buy it unless it's on sale. The quality of something cheap is hardly worth it for how long it lasts and getting something just because you think you need it right now is just you falling for a marketing ploy. The flyer is your friend.

3. Along the same lines, shop around. If you find something you really like it is totally possible to note the price and go online later to check other stores and online prices. You can often get the exact same item for half the price you find it at.

4. Budget for things seperately. Eating out is not part of your food budget and so on. The more you really break it down the more you can control your spending while still being able to indulge yourself. If you like to buy lottery tickets don't just lump that in with household expenses. Set a specific allowance for it. You will better spread out your more indulgent purchases throughout the month that way.

5. Free things can be fun too. Walks, visits to parks, window shopping, hanging out with friends. If you know you will be tempted, don't take money with you.

What Guys Said 4

• I've been using an application called YNAB4. It's a budgeting app I've been using since Dec 2014.

The new You Need a Budget is terrible though. If you want more info on using YNAB4 (the previous version of YNAB), send me a PM.

• I just have multiple accounts.

• Just have will power and be disciplined.

• Buy cheap no name groceries and don't buy unnecessary items

What Girls Said 4

• -Buy only what you need.
    -Write down the amount of money you have, and what you will spend it on.
    -Put aside extra money.
    -Look for coupons and bargain prices.
    -If you don't need to spend, don't spend.
    (For example-If you work or go to school. Instead of buying food, make your own so you can have extra money aside).

You have to train yourself.

• Put the money away before you even start spending. I'm not sure how your current finances are set up, but I'm pretty sure you can set something up with your bank so that every month they transfer $XX amount into a savings account for you, so you don't have to do it yourself and it's controlled.

• by having a goal. Not just any goal but a passionate one.
    For example, I tried saving before but always ended up either giving the money away or just spending it on food. or simply just getting bored of saving.

but recently, I discovered that I really wanna travel and well shop as well. But anyway, so after researching a lot about it (since traveling can get expensive) I found a site where it breaks things down and my passion just came in me :D

So now I am set on saving.

I have a goal, a time frame, and if I implement the action/w/e I achieve my goal by sticking to my budget.

It's also good to prioritize things.

1. family (so some cash goes to family)
    2. goal/travel ( goes to saving)
    3. shopping (same)
    4. the rest I keep for necessities

• I'm barely starting to because i just have too much debt and I need to take care of it instead of leaving it to future me lol