I want to save more than I am now but it's so hard to stick to a budget. Any tips?
Most Helpful Girl
1. Make it realistic. For example, if $100 worth of groceries (even if you hit up all the sales and make rice and pasta your staples) only lasts you half the month, then you need to budget $200 for groceries. If you don't what really happens is you budget to spend more in other areas where you really could cut back and you go over budget because you're not going to starve yourself to save money. I don't blame you lol.
2. Hit deals and sales. Really, you don't want to buy it unless it's on sale. The quality of something cheap is hardly worth it for how long it lasts and getting something just because you think you need it right now is just you falling for a marketing ploy. The flyer is your friend.
3. Along the same lines, shop around. If you find something you really like it is totally possible to note the price and go online later to check other stores and online prices. You can often get the exact same item for half the price you find it at.
4. Budget for things seperately. Eating out is not part of your food budget and so on. The more you really break it down the more you can control your spending while still being able to indulge yourself. If you like to buy lottery tickets don't just lump that in with household expenses. Set a specific allowance for it. You will better spread out your more indulgent purchases throughout the month that way.
5. Free things can be fun too. Walks, visits to parks, window shopping, hanging out with friends. If you know you will be tempted, don't take money with you.1