Do you judge people based on their taste in music? What music do you listen to?

I was with a guy for a while who was very judgmental of people with what he considered bad taste in music. I mean I have to give it to him, he had great and a very wide taste in music. It was like he knew every song ever made, so I feel like he had the right to judge mainstream taste in a way. Do you judge your friends or potential lovers based on their musical preferences? How important is music taste to you in a friend?

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't judge them as a friend or person but I find it a bit annoying when people listen to shitty music. Especially rap.

Most Helpful Girl

• Someone's taste in music only tells me less than 2 percent about them.
    So, with that perspective in mind, it wouldn't make sense for me to judge someones entire character based on what they like to listen to.
    Although I will say,
    I've been judged by my choice of music.
    In the past I've been told I listen to "White people music".
    Really? What is that?
    Good music is good music, who cares who was it was made by!

• I guess so...

• People are their experiences and what they make from them, not their song list selection so yeah :)

• I guess it depends on how seriously you take music and how much music you listen to. If someone's really into very low quality, overhyped, overproduced music and they flaunt it too, I don't think that's attractive.

What Guys Said 11

• Interesting that you ask this. Actually, the other day, I was playing with my band at a loal bar. When I was setting up, there was progressive metal/djent playing (which is the stuff I listen to the most amongst other stuff). This girl who was at the bar was hitting on me after the show (long story short: wasn't interested in her, plus my best friend's dad was trying to pick her up 😅). I didn't know her well, but then she called the music playing, my favorite genre, firstly incorrectly grunge and then pure/utter trash. That was quite a big turn off right there.

So essentially, it is a turn off if they absolutely despise the music I like to the point of being rude. On the flipside, it is a turn on if they like similar stuff. However, I am fine with someone saying, "that music isn't for me" and having their own preferences. I'm fine with whatever they listen to or like... as long as they are respectful about what I like.

That being said, music can often tell a lot about a person. Not always, but most of the time. Stuff from the energy of the songs, genre, lyrical content, and heaviness can help enlighten me on someone's personality.

• that's true, I used to think the guy I knew had really good taste in music , which is true, but he always picked the saddest songs from all the artists and he was in fact depressed. Musical preferences really do tell you a lot about the person.

• I do, cause music says a LOT about a person, it's a very accurate way to get to know someone (obviously it doesn't say everything about a person).
    I don't automatically reject someone if I don't like their taste on music, and though I prefer friends with similar taste, I have friends that are the complete opposite in music taste.

For a girlfriend, it's very important, cause if we're gonna live together, having to listen to music I can't stand, can be very negative. I would also love to jam to music together.

• Not really.. unless the only music they listen to is screamer metal, while hating all other genres, then I may judge them just a tad bit.

• I do big time, totally repulsed by people who love Justin Beiber and such musicians! Can't help it.
    I listen to classical music both regional folk and British Folk. Almost all genres of heavy metal, soul, slave music, old school rock, grunge rock, RnB, Classic rock, reggae!

• who are some of your favorite artists?

• high five to pink floyd and Dostoyevsky! we have a similar taste.

• High five ! Shine on you crazy diamond.

• Yh when we're in the car, its full war on the aux. So when someone puts a lame song, everyone would look at that person and be like "what the fuck you listening to bruv?"

But I honestly couldn't care. People listen to music to enjoy themselves, doesn't matter what it is, classical music, hip hop, pop, rock, it's all the same. In the end we're all skeletons with brains.

• YES, show me good music, and ill probably think you're interesting.

muse - reapers
    weezer - miss sweeney
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6MnyHR_PsY

• not really. but if i dont like the music my friends listen to then im ok with it but im not judgmental

• They can listen to music and I don't judge them! I listen to all kinds of music! I don't like hip hop and rap!

• not important at all, but i feel better when my friends listen to the same music, then we can go to concerts.

i listen to metal, mainly from the 80's.

• Nope I don't. I judge more on the personality

• Now that I think about it though... maybe I could judge on it if they like find some lyrics important, and you see what message the song is giving.

• Sharing the same music taste would be awesome!!!
      And if me and a friend have different music taste, it's totally cool, But don't be like "FK THAT SONG!!! THAT ARTIST SUCKS" everytime that I play something the friend doesn't like

• No but a lot of people judge me based on the music I listen to. I listen to classical music/opera and marches.

What Girls Said 8

• I don't judge others based on what type of music they like. I feel like music is a subjective thing and people like different styles. I personally have a varied taste in music ranging from traditional country to classic rock and even some pop.

• As long as they don't listen to something completely weird, like Austrian folks music, 24/7 I think we're good.

• No, I don't. I listen to a variety of genres.

• I don't do it because I have a very wide taste in music too. I actually find it a little bit boring when people only listen to one type of music and think it's the best music ever made.

• yea kinda, if they turn on that barney theme song and say "this is great! :D " i'll b like...

• I don't judge someone for their taste in music, but I will not date someone if they love country &/or that mainstream pop shit. I love rock & metal of all kinds, that's basically it.

• I don't. Music is personal.

• i sometimes do haha but its not a big deal when i get to know them better