Can you be traditional and liberal at the same time?

I'm quite traditional and come from a traditional background.
I intend to raise my children traditionally aswell but it seems to me that most conservative people are actually very hateful and angry? Like my stances on most issues are conservative but I still believe that anybody can do whatever they want as long as they don't shove it down my throat.
Unfortunatley many conservatives are very intolerant and hateful under the cover of not being "PC".
I'm not PC but I still know how to share my ideas in a honorable civilized way without offending people from the other side by being disrespectful (no matter the stance even if it's completely different from mine).
Constructive criticism and Cheap insults are not the same obviously.

Most Helpful Guy

• Most people try to describe their political views along a line, but that's not really possible, because there is not just one but rather TWO main concerns politically - personal freedom and economic freedom. Thus, it needs to be a two-dimensional description, such as this graph:

cdn.okccdn.com/.../16059808680195318709

Somehow, in the US, the two major parties each (nominally) are for one type of freedom and against the other - which in my opinion is just insane, because we all lose no matter what. I'm a libertarian - I believe in minimal government/low taxes but also in personal freedoms (that are balanced by personal responsibilities).

Here's a quick 10-question quiz to find where you fall on the above graph:

https://www.theadvocates.org/quiz/quiz.php

Anyway, as a libertarian, I believe that people have the freedom to be who they want to be as long as they take responsibility for themselves (and their children, should they decide to have them, until those children become adults). It's completely possible to have traditional values and gender roles - because you WANT to - and still believe in "liberal" personal freedoms.

For example, many women were feminists because they wanted the CHOICE of whether or not to be a housewife or a (out-of-the-home) worker. But over time, many feminists came to believe that women who CHOSE to be a housewife - the more traditional role - couldn't be feminists, because feminists HAD to be "independent", which meant working. They forgot that feminism was about CHOICE, and one of those choices was to choose a traditional over a "modern" role.

To me, there is no conflict between the freedom to choose a traditional or "conservative" lifestyle and still believe in the "liberal" ideals of CHOICE. I just believe that we are each RESPONSIBLE for the choices we make, and shouldn't look to others - much less FORCE others via government taxation - to protect us from the bad choices we make.

Most Helpful Girl

• The media just makes it seem like the far right and far left are duking it out every day.

In reality, most people are fairly centrist and tired of all the damn shouting.

What Guys Said 21

• This is difficult to answer because you formulated your question so vaguely. What exactly do you mean by traditional and liberal? And in what area of life? Being conservative in the realms of politics doesn't necessarily mean you're conservative in the bedroom... or vice versa.
    To some degree, I think the two things are certainly compatible. For example I am as left as it can get in terms of politics but I still like and enjoy certain traditions... always having the same food on Christmas eves with my family, celebrating midsummer night with my best friends every year on summer solstice, writing a long love letter for my girlfriend every year for her birthday... those kinda things. I can also be traditional in my own relationship although I am all for equal rights. For example I enjoy the idea of protecting my girlfriend in a dangerous situation, although she claims she can protect herself just fine. I can also be traditional/conservative when it comes to technology... I am usually very bad with new technology and I stubbornly refuse to use it until it's so commonly used that I can't avoid it anymore (for example my parents had to force my first cell phone on me when I was 17).

I think there are lots of ways you can be traditional/conservative that don't affect or offend anyone. However, there are also those conservatives who claim to be tolerant but really aren't. One example for this are people who say stuff like "I don't hate gay people but I think homosexuality is wrong". This is a logical contradiction. By regarding homosexuality as a choice (which it is not) and moreover judging it as morally wrong, these conservatives effectively put themselves above gay people. They might not "hate" gay people but they still treat them with condescension. Condescension and arrogance usually offends and hurts the victims and thereby ostracizes them, which is the pure opposite of tolerance. It's like saying "I'm not a racist but I would never want a black/white/asian/etc. person to be my neighbor". So this kind of conservatism clearly isn't compatible with tolerance or respect.

• Social conservatism is dead. Even new-age conservatives and republicans believe in personal freedom including topics like gay marriage and live-and-let-live. You're painting conservatives with one brush to mean old white 1950's conservatives which is quickly becoming obsolete.

"I'm not PC but I still know how to share my ideas in a honorable civilized way without offending people from the other side..." - this is largely impossible. They will be offended that you have an opposing opinion regardless of how civil you are.

I've noticed that liberals and democrats were the ones to use "cheap insults" and, I've argued with hundreds.

• "as long as they don't shove it down my throat"

Which is exactly why conservatives are so angry. They are sick and tired of liberalism being shoved down their throats. The liberals keep pushing and pushing and pushing, until people get fed up with it and start fighting back.

Keep in mind that the conservatives are not getting more conservative. As a matter of fact they are getting more liberal. It's the left that keeps going further and further left. THEY are the ones creating the chasm. THEY are the ones causing all the tension. They just don't know when to stop. They don't know when to shut the hell up. They take everything to such extremes that it enters the realm of total craziness.

• I'm similar I think. Does this convey it?

Is it easier to say... I think people should be conservative as I am, but do what you want it is your life... as long as you aren't impacting someone else?

Connservative (especially religious) can lean to the side of controlling other people so they don't do things they think are wrong. Also, "conservatives" are often very consumptive... e. g. big business and wealthy people are conservative for the business policies but they can blow through resources, big cars, boats, etc..

Then again, it is liberal mobs going off around Trump, so they are the ones being

Liberals often times are more caring about the poor, e. g. social workers... rare to find conservatives doing that in my experience.

• but it seems to me that most conservative people are actually very hateful and angry?

You really outta get out more then, and socialize more with conservative because we're really not hateful nor intolerant.

Again not true.

And it's ignorant of you to assume either of those things and generalize an entire movement and millions of people you've never spoken to or met, especially when you don't know the full story or the situation that is going on here. And when your contact with conservatives is most likely restricted to here on GaG and the internet were the hateful, spiteful etc run to.

Also there are Liberal Conservatives, and even Traditional Democrats also Libertarians actually are traditional and are one of the most stalwart supporters and followers of the constitution. You just don't hear about them as much because usually the media focuses on either specifically Republican or Democrat and never really pays or gives to much attention to lesser known or less important groups in their eyes.

• My parents are classical liberals yet old fashioned.

For me, that's the only kind of liberal that is good. Most self-proclaimed "liberals" today are just leftists who think that the free exchange of ideas is "dangerous". They are anti-intellectual, so I must oppose them.

• Fuck tradition, I am a liberal since I was raised that way, and because of how conservatives are very racist and don't like having a minority like me around.

They can deny it all they want, bottom line is, they treat me like an animal and I will not take it, so I will destroy all tradition if I can.

• What minority are you? by the way I'm also a minority

• it would be a fine tradition to destroy all tradition.

• Korean American, and I find it odd how they steal from my and other cultures, yet traditionalists don't want me in their social groups.

• Yes, absolutely. I am.

• Yes you can. Classical liberalism is what you speak of.
    Todays liberals are very different. Also If you are from Tunisia, you are probably a Muslim correct? You can't be a classic liberal and a muslim.

• Yes I'm Muslim
      What's classical liberalism really about?

• Classical liberalism is all about freedom! Freedom regarding your rights. You should be free to say what you want, live how you want, freedom to protect yourself and your family, oh and freedom of religion! and other civil rights.

• Liberal is more like political
    As you talk about our traditions in our Arabic traditions is conversation and it's proven in a lot of historical events and normal events
    And it also differs from your definition of traditional

• How so habibi?

• In our current so called Arabic traditions " child's shall not speak in the presence of the elders " that's not true at all

When surart (الشرح ) came el sa7aba explained it differently until that little boy who came ( Abdullah ibn Abbas ) said a different thing like non of them said and those people were ( omar ibn Al katab and Ali ibn abi talib ) but they listened to him and apperntly his explanation was the most correct one all of the explanation were correct but his was the most

• Besides the prophet always consulted people before war for example although he's the prophet of the Lord

• Sure I've met self-proclaimed conservatives that are very open minded people.
    You can have certain traditions for your family but respect that of others.

• Yes cuz I'm traditional that leans a little closer to liberal , but yeah I've seen conservatives are like that but liberals also have their fare share of problems

• I'm somewhat liberal and I hold some traditional values, I might be a moderate shit I don't know.

• Yes I have a centrist view on things, I like republican and democratic things as well as elements of capitalism, socialism and communism.

• I am also this way

• No you cannot.

• Liberal Conservatism is a thing.

• I think I'm not sure

• noooooooo silly

• Not really. Just stop being a cuck and join conservatism.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 2

• You can want to live traditionally without wanting other people to live that way. There's nothing wrong with it, it just isn't common.

• Yes, liberal is a political view while being traditional is a personal choice.