Can someone explain to me what Requiem for a Dream mean?

I loved the movie but I wanna know what the title means. Like what does Requiem mean? I googled it but I dont understand how it goes with the movie.

Most Helpful Guy

• The film is all about characters with dreams that turn to shit if I remember correctly.

A "requiem" is a song for a funeral. So the movie title is about the death of dreams from as far as I can gather.

Most Helpful Girl

• I've seen someone say that it could mean, "Mass of dead dreams".

I assume it means they all had some kind of American dream but became unattainable due to their own addictions. Hence, all they're dreams became dead.

What Guys Said 4

• Think of a requiem as a ceremony or work of art which is performed or associated with a death. So, for instance, "Requiem" is a Catholic death ceremony, music by Mozart, and a poem by Robert Louis Stevenson:

Requiem

UNDER the wide and starry sky
    Dig the grave and let me lie:
    Glad did I live and gladly die,
    And I laid me down with a will.

This be the verse you 'grave for me:
    Here he lies where he long'd to be;
    Home is the sailor, home from the sea,
    And the hunter home from the hill.

So, in this poem, the man is stating he enjoyed his life and goes to his final resting place without complaint. Notice that the poem is really a set of instructions as well. So, the poem is itself a sort of ceremony requiem for his eventual death.

"Requiem for a Dream" would be some artistic expression for the death of a dream (a dream - not a sleep dream, but a hope dream - that is realized that will never come true).

• Don't do drugs kiddies.

• I've never seen it but I think we can all agree the song is kick ass

• Don't do drugs

What Girls Said 1

• I think it means the death of the dreams for the characters. They all had these big ideas for what they wanted to do and it didn't turn out anything like they thought.