Why do some Americans fight so strongly to keep their guns?

i know this is a sensitive issue but as someone who hasn't lived in USA and living in THE safest place in the world (according to this link: http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/safest-countries-in-the-world.html), I don't exactly get their practical or emotional motive for wanting to keep a gun.

UNLESS, it is a racism issue, where some people think some other races will do them harm so they want to hold on to their guns?

Most Helpful Girl

• Laws don't stop criminals. Never have and never will. I have every right to own a gun and protect myself, if necessary, against a criminal who attempts to cause harm to myself or my family.

It's illegal to do drugs, but people do them every day. It's illegal to go over the speed limit, but people do it every day. It's illegal to kill someone, but it happens every single day. What makes anyone think that making it illegal to own a gun is going to prevent a CRIMINAL from obtaining one? Laws haven't stopped them before, so why would it change now? If children and drugs are smuggled into this country, don't you think that guns can be too?

It's stupid to take away my right to protect myself against a criminal who has intentions of hurting me. Unarming law-abiding citizens isn't going to change the fact that criminals will still get their hands on guns. Criminals are the ones who murder people.

If anyone inside the club in Orlando would've had a gun on them, they could've shot back at the shooter and had a better chance of survival. That guy who killed those innocent people never should've been allowed to purchase a gun considering the FBI looked into him numerous times. I'm sorry, but this is just another incident that the government is using to try taking away our rights.

And just like I said before, had anyone in that club had a gun, there have may been less lives lost. I'm sure there were far more law-abiding citizens than criminals who lost their life that day. It's about being able to protect the innocent from danger. Before you know it, they're going to try taking guns away from LEO's too. This is ridiculous, and this isn't going to happen without we, the American citizens, putting up a damn good fight for OUR rights.

• What'd be wrong with making them harder to get hold of tho?

• @Panay These people typically do not walk into gun shops and purchase them. You know how illegal drugs are sold on the streets? So are are guns, other weapons and sadly, even children. It's a disgusting world that we live in. But it won't get any better until the day that Jesus comes back and takes those of us who are saved home.

• I was quite convinced and interested in what you have to say until I read the sentence "... Our problem is people who don't know Jesus..."

Most Helpful Guy

• It's a pretty simple reason. They fight so strongly to keep their guns because other people fight so strongly to take them away.

What you are seeing is the public political debate, not the normal day-to-day stuff. Normally gun owners are quite low keyed about it. Most people have no idea who in their neighborhood has a gun and who doesn't. You don't see the guns and you don't normally hear people talking about them in most places.

There are a lot of public debates like that. It gets blown all out of proportion in the media. It makes it appear to be much bigger than it really is. People in other countries especially get some very strange ideas about the US because of the nonsense they see on media. Americans themselves get strange ideas also, because the US is a really big place and very diverse. So many Americans get their ideas from media also.

I say it over and over. People need to quit watching news and go outside and use their own eyes to see what's really happening.

• "Most people have no idea who in their neighborhood has a gun and who doesn't."
      Every single household in my neighborhood that I am aware of has at least one gun (the lone pair of Democrats have a gun, but no bullets).

What is more interesting is how many people have no idea when you are carrying one. I sometimes do, depending on where I go. I watch to see who might notice. The only people that seem to notice my carrying a gun seem also to be carrying one themselves.

What Girls Said 9

• I want to keep my gun because everyone else where I live has guns also. The difference is some of them want to hurt me and I need mine for protection only. How is it fair to expect people who only want guns as protection to give up their gun rights when people who want to rob, shoot, rape, do mass shootings etc, will continue to find a ways to get their hands on a gun. The only difference is people like me won't be able to defend ourselves or the people that we love.

• Because they won't necessarily
      Anyway if someone pulls a gun on you and is willing to actually use it, you won't be able to get your own gun out even if you happen to be carrying it

• It is pretty naive to think things don't and won't happen to you or your girlfriend, just because they haven't yet or don't happen often.

I understand that a lot of how I think is conditioning because of where i'm from but I also think it's really scary that people don't even consider that something bad could happen to them or someone they love, no matter where they live.

• @BlueCoyote

People aren't paranoid. They're realistic and prepared.

There's a story about a grandma getting a ticket for speeding and the trooper asks if there are any weapons in the car. She says of course. There's an AR in the trunk, a.45 in the console, and a 9mm in my purse.

The cop steps back and says wow! What are you afraid of?

She just smiles and says not a thing Sonny!

• for protection!

• sounds more like history and cultural pride than anything else. whether that's really the case or not is something i dont give 2 shits about. it's a reason I'm glad i dont live there.

• One is more likely to be robbed or assaulted in Great Britain than in the US, and if one is not black, one is more likely to be murdered in Great Britain than in the US.

Oh, and I often carry a gun.

• Its been part of their culture for the longest time.

• right to bear arms, but back then the guns were way more difficult to shoot.

• Government

• Because people are trying to take them away

• Our Second Amendment Right Put forth by our forefathers.
    isis is here, we need to be locked and loaded. the world is gettin' worse now.

• isis is global now. With things getting worse, the need to bear arms is something many people feel is better and more safe for them and loved ones or just anyone around them.

• Too many ignorant ones how sad.

• Hopefully one day their friends or family or them too never encounter a situation where they'd wished there were someone there with a gun who could have saved them.

• there are people who are facinated by them and collect themjust like people who collect civil war stuff others just I don't know they might be serial killers or just feel threatened by there suroundings lol

What Guys Said 23

• It's got nothing to do with race. To me it's just common sense, on two fronts.

First: Human nature makes governments grow. When they grow, they become more prone to corruption and abuse. The founders knew that without the means to bring the government to heel, America would quickly lose the freedoms that they'd just fought so hard to secure. To stack the deck in the people's favor, they expressly forbade the government from disarming the people, even a little bit, because the militia, comprised of the whole of the people, was to be our main army.

You can see how far we've fallen from that goal. We should work to remedy the situation, and soon, if our government is to be brought back into servant mode.

Second: People are more polite (less likely to start a fight) when everyone can kill them. Even granny in the wheelchair.

Go to an American gun show or range some time. You'll never see folks so conscious of avoiding confrontation.

Also, America is pretty big. Most places, you can order a pizza and call 911 simultaneously, and the pizza will get there first. We have a real need to be self sufficient because of that. When seconds count, help is only minutes away.

• I couldn't have said it better.

• One more bit: America's size isn't something most folks from other countries really understand. Not until they drive all day at highway speeds, and realize they're STILL in Florida. There are places where help is hours away and there's not even a cellular signal for a hundred miles.

The flip side is the scale of our government, and the danger that comes from it. We spend (stupidly) more on our government, almost 4 Trillion dollars a year. That's just the national government, completely ignoring all 50 state governments, each with it's own National Guard and police forces etc.

Our federal expenditures dwarf the entire economies of all but the top 4 nations on earth.

Think what a madman or woman could do with that kind of money, the power it buys, and the keys to mankind's most lethal war machine.

It should be easy to imagine given our candidates.

I don't think anyone wants to see us lose control of it completely.

• When our country was being founded, the people writing the constitution and coming up with the government structure were all people who studied history closely. They took into account why so many other nations fell and they knew that it is common for a government to take away a persons ability to fight when the government is about to take over.

Another reason we want guns is because the world is becoming a more and more dangerous place. Even if you forget about Isis do you know how many illegal guns are in this country? I live in New Jersey and my step mother is a Prosecutor. She tells me all the time about guns being found that were stolen from cops, smuggled in from overseas, from mexico. The people getting these guns range from drug dealers to pimps and there are a number of shoot-outs here in New Jersey. We are arguably the most restrictive state with guns.

If some asshole decides he's gonna shoot up a movie theater you're in or a club you're at or the 4th of July fireworks display you're at, do you want to have nothing to do but hide and hope a bullet doesn't find you?

Then there's the fact that shooting is a sport. Many people love to go hunting, collect and build guns. Competition shooting is fun. Sometimes me and my friends will go to the range and I know some people who go skeet shooting (where you shoot the flying discs with a shotgun) after work. Some people in the middle stated have a ton of land and like to blow shit up.

To get rid of guns because of the few shootings that have taken place is even worse than if cars were made illegal because of the countless cases of "Vehicular manslaughter" that occur every year.

• They have become so use to guns and so use to them being in their life they can't see how you could possibly live without guns. People do not like change.

• I have been shooting since I was 6 years old.

• What to do about crazy people is an entirely different discussion.

As it turns out, nearly every random mass murderer (not related to terrorism, drugs, or a domestic dispute) over the past couple of decades had been on psychiatric drugs. This is true in the US as well as in other developed countries, like Norway and Japan.

Why are crazy people given drugs and a pat on the butt and not locked up?

The problem is that we have a broken mental health system that fails to protect the public from dangerous psychopaths. Let's fix that.

• @WalterRadio what my point is a crazy person is more likely to use a gun to shoot a whole lot of people than a sane person. Yes, the USA should be doing more to protect the public.

• The 2nd Amendment and all of that. Even those who do not personally care for guns will still fight tooth and nail to preserve the right simply because of precedent. In other words, if the Constitution can be repealed in one aspect, who is to say that it cannot be repealed in another?

• It already has tho.. That's why it's an AMENDMENT. It's a change to the constitution-because the constitution isn't set in stone

• @Panay also I think I know a little bit more about my government then you do. I had whole semesters on the US government.

• @Thisperson98 oh fair enough.
      That doesn't have the fact that it can be altered though, Which my main point, and just because it's chnqged in one aspect doesn't mean it'll just fall apart

• The United States were born on April 19, 1775 when the British government attempted to confiscate the arms of the colonists. The Revolutionary War began as violent resistance to gun control.

There are a few things to know about the murder rate in the US. First, over half of all murderers are black, and over half of all murder victims are black, even though blacks make up only about 12 to 13% of the population.

Aside from domestic murders (husbands and wives, which tend to kill each other alarmingly often), any random person, black, white, Asian, or Hispanic, is more likely to be murdered by a black person than a person of any other race. People don't like to admit this, but this is just the statistics.

The US Supreme Court has made several rulings over the course of over 150 years that citizens do not have the right to police protection. Therefore, we must have the right to defend ourselves, and that means one must have the tool to do so. The best tool to defend oneself is a gun.

The last thing to know is that those who are opposed to more gun control are not the ones out there killing people. They are the ones who are most anti-criminal. The ones who are most in favor of new gun control are also the same people letting drug criminals out of prison early and want the police to reduce their policing.

• It mostly has to do with fear and paranoia. Unfortunately, the US is an incredibly paranoid country. People generally only assume the worst of their fellow citizens. And the media only makes this whole thing worse by dramatizing every bullshit. If you turn on the news in the US, 90% of what you get to see is "there was mass murder there, there's also a mass raping here, there's robbing etc. etc."

• It is dramatizing to some degree but it still happens. In the state i'm in, in a nice, low crime city, some guy shot up a movie theater just like a year ago. Not to mention the fact that you only hear about murders normally. There are so many cities in US who have literally hundreds of thousands of DNA samples that still need to be tested from decades ago, to convict rapist. Those people are still free because those cities can't afford the funding to do it. I mean there's literally that many rapist who are just on the streets in some cities.

• yourself believe that you're safer if everyone is armed to their teeth. If your logic is true and more weapons always make a population safer, then why stop at firearms? Why not let everyone buy his own nuclear bomb? Or what about letting people buy their own tanks? Shouldn't I have the freedom to drive around in a tank and have an airplane cannon (to shoot down planes) in my backyard if I feel unsafe otherwise?

• lol yes, if people were walking around with bombs, then we should have bombs to defend ourselves against them, in this situation it just happens to be guns.

Do you really think that guns are what is causing violence and that it's not also culture based?

• Simply put, and seemingly out of context for the time, gun ownership allows us to protect ourselves from a tyrannical government that could easily subdue us with out weapons, and our right to form militias. Yes it does seem antiquated, but our forefathers were about Liberty - our liberty. You can't commander my property, you can't tax me without representation, you can't inflict cruel and unusual punishment on me. All these things were common place, especially in the era of Monarchies. We are blessed, and freedom is not free.

• Guns are used far more for defensive purposes than criminal uses according to FBI stats, but that's not the point.

The point of the 2nd amendment isn't to keep you safe: it's to dissuade the government from taking away your other rights.

That said, guns are the great equalizer. They are great tools for women, disabled, and other people who might be defenseless against criminals.

• First off, your link isn't working. Why didn't you just save time and state your country?

People in the US have a very strong sense of self-determination. That means not depending on the government for the fundamental protection of their family and property. Racism is irrelevant; people of your own race are the ones most likely to do you harm, stats show.

Mexico has stronger gun laws than the US. Look at what a peaceful paradise they have...

• Causation and correlation. Being safer a place doesn't have to do with an absence of guns or the existence of them.

Its part of their culture, the US is quite violent in general and the US has a history of tyrannic government which the gun-laws are originally for having armed citizen who can protect themselves from tyranny.

• BECAUSE IT IS OUR RIGHT! You fight for your rights... Just like you fight for your freedom... Some countries don't have these rights but we do... We are to preserve the value of the second amendment JUST like it was established by our founding fathers and what they had in mind when they built this country... It is their will... Citizens are allowed to arm themselves...
    On a more practical issue... In ancient times people in their homes. To defend their family had a familial sword to defend their house and their homes... The same principle applies today. What do you do when someone tries to pillage your home stamp on you, and rape your family... You have a gun... Not race... Not color... Simply circumstances.. If someone tries to do you harm you have to be able to give yourself the proper means to protect your lot... And we have that.. Don't try to take it away and ask yourself why the US is the safest country in the world

• 1|0
    • He doesn't live in the us

• @Panay my mistake

• As far as the US murder rate, yes, it is higher than OEDC average. However, if one looks at the non-black murder rate, then it is less than average.

The US doesn't have a gun problem, it has an urban black people problem.

• It's many things some you will never understand and some you will.

• because of a constitution do you know what it is? it is the only thing protecting you FROM the government.

• Except for hunting rifles, which I guess people are entitled to, you'd be right. There is actually no reason to keep them.

Please save us

• Yes. There are several very good reasons to keep them.

• How many gunfights you been in at age 15?

Sorry, but it's just not true what you said.

First, people effed up enough to be worth shooting aren't going to look at your gun and give up. Check out how many officer involved shootings there are for evidence. If you were right, there wouldn't be any.

Second, people getting shot at miss a heck of a lot. That's why a full magazine on tap makes you more likely to survive the unthinkable. You can keep shooting until you stop the threat.

Last, I don't HAVE to justify my choice to anyone. It's MY choice. If you want to dictate it to me, amend the constitution and get 2/3 of the state legislatures to ratify it. If you can't get the votes, any law you make is an illegal act of Congress, and is no law at all. Try to enforce it, and... well look at Virginia's flag for a hint. :-)

• Feel free to be a victim. I choose otherwise.

• Why should we give them up? Your 3 times as likely to die in a car crash than a shooting homicide. Why not get rid of cars, they're far worse.

• For some, that's the only dildo they own

• Already have my guns on all time ^^

• Because guns help protect Americans from both other people and the government.

• Nice trolling!!! its a racism issue? seriously this is the dumbest thihng i have seen on here.

• Crying racism is the only thing left to the desperate collectivist when all his arguments have been debunked.

• They're fun, and even though 50 people in a state hundreds of miles from you were killed it still doesn't make death by gunshot a great enough risk to seriously consider making any changes. You're still more likely to die in a car accident, even with a well armed public.

Banning guns or restricting their availability isn't so much about safety as it is about bureaucrats looking like they're doing something to make victims feel better. Sweet, but no. I'll have no part of that.

I think a day after the shootings in Orlando there was a mass stabbing in China. The Chinese attacker managed to stab nearly 60% the number of victims the Florida attacker did despite the guy in Florida using a high powered modern assault rifle, and despite the fact that he was in an enclosed space and the Chinese attacker was on an open street. Why didn't the Florida guy get 3x as many kills?

It's sad but if your goal is to protect people from aggression and nuts you should either cut out the middleman and find a way to brainwash large populations or just shed a tear, visit a grave and the get the fuck over it.

If guns weren't available it would definitely save lives, but I'm not interested in saving lives. I'm interested in freedom. I'm willing to accept that others will die because of accidents, and I am also willing to accept that people I love (including myself) are at risk too because for me the risk is small and worth it. Not everyone feels this way; not everyone has to. Bottom line: I personally will not sacrifice any freedom of mine no matter how truly insignificant to me to give strangers a longer time line, make victims feel like they've accomplished something, or to make paranoid people feel a bit safer. Something else will kill everyone eventually. It's not my job, or desire to change that, I just want to be left to my own devices regardless of what becomes of others.

If what I said sounds callous, I apologize as that was not my intent.

If what I said sounds selfish, I will proudly confirm that it is indeed.

• actually, what you said sounds nothing but fearful.

• fair enough

• Americans KNOW Americans. Americans make America a dangerous place.
    That's why they want to be armed like a full platoon.

• There's a lot going on here. Many Americans live in large, sparsely populated areas of the country. Relaying on law enforcement isn't practical. You NEED a firearm it's a part their way of life. Then you have collectors, gun enthusiast or those that use them for sport or just self defense. It's a constitutional right that we all agree is important as Americans.

We also have the paranoid gun owner. They don't listen to reason and border on insane. They think there's going to be a race war soon or the govt' is gonna' enslave them and put them in FEMA camps or their going to have their guns taken away... yada yada. This fringe element thought the US Army was invading Texas a few years ago. The military was doing some exercises in the area.

This group of gun nuts makes the rest look bad.

• There's literally no police or law enforcement where I live (suburban/semi rural village in England) but I've never felt unsafe, or the need to carry a gun

• @Panay I've lived in America my whole life except for a few years in Europe as a soldier, and then 4 more in Iraq as a contractor supporting our troops.

Having fairly decent situational awareness, I've managed to be elsewhere, whenever I might have needed a gun. Because of that, I've never fired one except to harvest game or for fun/practice. I plan to keep it that way.

But should situational awareness be your only defense? I say no. So I'll keep my weapons. :-)