How do you fight a much taller person?

Im 5'6 and he is 6'7 and I've never fought before. I do workout every week since last year and have been making gainz though.

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• Try to avoid grappling positions at all costs. Kind of dance and swing around the guy and try to wear him out. Use straight punches and jabs, keep him in the center of your vision instead of throwing wild hay-makers.

If you get too close and inevitably have to get close and personal, you can potentially grab his legs and pick them up or push forward, knocking him to the floor.

I'm far from an expert or experienced fighter and some people trained in martial arts might be able to give better advice. I just bumped into some nasty people in my youth. This seemed to work for me.

• thanks man!

• It's easy in the midst of a fight to have all the adrenaline pumping and lose focus and control, again going back to throwing wild hay-makers. You have to kind of stop and control yourself, stay controlled. Same case if you get into the worst-case scenario: if he gets you into submission and has a choke-hold or is on top of your back. You have to avoid trying to resist wildly, stop and think.

• thanks man, I'll try to keep my composure cause i can't and won't lose this fight

What Girls Said 5

• working out has nothing to do with fighting.. lol. How do you win? Jump and swing.. lol jk
    No really, your gonna have to jump a little.

• Why are you fighting in the first place?

• Bite him

• Go for the ankles!

• Maybe try and get his head down so you can lock him in then keep punching his face

What Guys Said 20

• Honestly in actual fights having muscle is no where near as important as fighting technique. Plus one year of working out wouldn't really make too much of a difference unless your opponent was a complete stick and super scrawny. If he has fighting experience you've already lost I can tell you right now.

Honestly though if you want advice you'll want to take it to the ground. Fist fight with that much of a wingspan difference you wouldn't even be able to touch him. However for all you know he knows how to fight on the ground. I'm 6'3 and I practice BJJ so that strategy that I just gave you wouldn't really work on me since I personally fight even better on the ground than fist fights. It's a little late to be starting your strategy if the fights tomorrow. Just call it off. You're in your late 20s you shouldn't be getting into fights anyways. That kind of behavior is for someone a decade younger than you.

• Strong kick on the knee, when he gets lower, straight punch to the nose/troat (maybe that's too much damage, and a normal jaw/gut punch would do)

• Don't fight, it isn't real great.
    I dont' know what your situation is, but this guy is punching DOWN to hit your face. If he has any experience in fighting at all, you're done.

• Punch continuously on his stomach and left side of his chest
    If you could punch at least 6-7 times continuously then most probably you'll win if he's not a fighter or martial artist :P

• You go for his legs & knock his ass down.

• Go for the lower body, he has no defense there

• Get in close so his reach won't be an advantage.

• Legs ur gonna have to move ur feet a lot and kick

Muai tai and kick boxing should help ur gonna have to be able to be calm in battle to because his ad are gonnd extend more then yours.

Remember he has to come down to hit u

So o try some grappling and submission

• Wrestle him down then pound on his face.

• Leverage.. rake what he gives you... and don't give him anything

• Fight like what? Actual boxing ring or just like a bully at high school? Lol

• Nut punches lol

• It's called martial arts. Learn one; preferably one that uses a person's weight against them.

• Uh how about you don't..

• Height means nothing. Fighting is all skill and quickness. And confidence

• um. Break bones. Punch his neck.

You literally can't beat him unless you try to almost kill him or break him.

Just don't do it. It's not civilized.

• Learn BJJ. BJJ is designed for weak people to over come stronger people.

• im not weak, thats kinda offensive to me. I workout. Id rather hear shorter or I don't know something other than weak

• That is not what I meant. You wanted something that can even the playing field because he is taller than you and I gave you my advice.

• i know you didn't intentionally mean that but i was just saying what i was thinking. Im not mad, i was just saying

• Just run at him and your head will square meet his balls.

• never smack anyone in the throat mate its the most dangerous place to get hit, and you'll end up doing time for it! Walk away mate & if you have never fought before don't start now... an ounce of pride is worthless mate & it will only cause you more harm. There are many ways to take down a man but know not all of them work in every case. Be smart.

• Here learn from a master of martial arts. With this you have the best chances to survive it successfully:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWqC7nXaMpM
    I would also recommend the whole series to learn different techniques in martial arts