Should a company offering a service be punished if they decline to do an LGBT wedding, but would do any other event for them?

For example, a baker says he would not bake a wedding cake for an LGBT wedding, but if an LGBT person came to buy a cake for their birthday or have a custom order they would happily place the order.

Essentially, they do not serve the function but do serve the person.

• Yes
  • No
Please explain your reasoning

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, and the reasoning is simple. LGBTQ+ people are a protected class.

And especially in Oregon there were laws in place long before that bakery was started that said it is illegal to discriminate against people based on their sexual orientation. They broke the law. They need to face the consequences.

• How did they brake the law, if they would bake a cake for any other event for the LGBT person?

Why is the wedding discriminating against LGBT, if its only that one event and not baking a cake all together for the LGBT customer?

• In your mind this is discrimination?

A lesbian couple comes into baker and places the following order:

1. Cake for their birthday
      2. Cake for their child
      3. Custom orders of different desserts of the birthday
      4. A future order for their wedding cake.

The baker agrees to all but the wedding... and thats discriminating the couple?

• Bro. How do you not understand this. It's really fucking simple. If you do not provide a service, any service, to someone because of their sexual orientation, it is ILLEGAL.

And if you leave me one more message trying to dance your way around the issue and pretend you're an idiot I am going to block and mute you.

Most Helpful Guy

• No, they should NOT be punished.

Should a black-owned business be FORCED to cater a KKK event? No, they have the right to say "no thanks."

Should a jewish-owned business be FORCED to cater a neo-nazi event? No, same reason.

What Girls Said 5

• Their business, their rules. They'd still lose my service in the future but they're free to serve who they want.

• Why would you not shop at the place, because they only won't cater to the wedding but cater to any other needs of the LGBT?

• Whether they hate me or not, isn't necessarily the problem. I don't particularly want to buy something from someone who doesn't agree with my marrying a woman. I'd rather go and give money to someone who didn't have an issue with my wedding.

As I said, I think they have the right to deny me a wedding cake and I accept their decision and won't argue with them about it - but at the same time, I have the right to choose who I buy from and I wouldn't want to buy from those people if they have a problem with my wedding. Simple as that.

• Makes more sense now. Before you said you doubt they want you as a customer. I was clarifying they do want you as a customer.

• I voted No, just because, honestly, you can't force people to embrace the LGBT "function" as you say. All one can ask from people is to accept LGBT people and let them be at peace (or if you can't understand them, at least don't hate on them). but that's really it, anything more is pushing things too far.

• nope.
    their business, their rules.

• It's still discrimination against a protected class of people.

• I think so yes, it is bullshit. Thats like not making a wedding cake for a black couple. Thats racist and you know theyd get in trouble for it, so why is it ok to discriminate against certain types of people but not another...

• How is it racist if they would take orders from the black couple for any other event?

• Homophobic not racist.

• @bobbyxx Homophobic is a made up word to try to put others down to agree with you...

The baker does take orders from LGBT people, but ONLY not for their wedding

What Guys Said 14

• I don't think so. It's their business, they should be free to choose their clients.

If other people have a problem with it they can boycott the bakery.

• It wasn't until 2000 that Alabama removed anti-miscegenation language from it's state Constitution. Let's face it, there are people that still don't approve of interracial marriages. Would this hypothetical baker have a problem with that? If he declined making the wedding cake but still be willing to make a B-day cake for each of them separately. Would that be ok?

Said baker has nothing against being black or white but totally against them marrying.
    "... they do not serve the function but do serve the person."
    This is wrong in my opinion. The baker should say he doesn't do weeding cakes across the board and be done with it.

• Why should the baker lose so much business because he doesn't want to cater to one specific event?

• You're right i would prefer he'd understand that making a wedding cake isn't an endorsement of anything but that's not the point. The argument is made that this business has a right who to serve and they are responsible for the loss of business because of it.

That wasn't the case in parts of the country. Alot' of business thrived under Jim Crow until race was made a protected class. The point is this Hypothetical baker is denying service not because his bible tells him to but because he simply dislikes the customer (gay, interracial, black, Muslim...).

• No. If its a private business its their choice who they serve and who not. If a homeless, stinking person comes in - they have all the rights to refuse service as well.

All they do is potentially harm their own income, but its not the governments duty to tell them who to serve and who not.

• No one should tell anyone how to run their business when it comes to which clientele they will serve.

If enough people don't like the owner's choices and practices, that business will go under. If people approve, it will flourish.

I'm against smoking bans, too, and I don't smoke.

• The militant queers and social justice warriors are doing a splendid job of creating hatred and loathing, where none existed previously.
    Keep it up and fewer straight people are going to care when the Muslims in the USA begin to throw people off buildings there, too.

• Well, when you open a business, your #1 goal is revenue. So if you're looking at just the financial aspect of it, it would be stupid to turn down anybody because you're turning down money.

To some people, standing for their beliefs far outweighs making money. So it's really different for each person and whatever their agenda is. As far as being punished, absolutely not. There's no way you can punish a company for not wanting to assist a gay wedding.

• he has a right to do business with who he wants to. Don't agree with it, but it's his business. He is just limiting his clientele, which isn't smart

• A business can tell to "fuck off" to anyone they don't want to serve. You don't like it? Take your money elsewhere.

It's not a right to get served by a private company. It's a privilege.

• Their business, their rules. Personally, I think it's bad business to refuse to do gay weddings, even though I disagree with gay marriage. I'm just glad I'm not in that industry.

• They shouldn't be punished but they should know that they may lose customers based off of their actions turning down an event because they don't support it. That's mixing business with their own personal preferences

• no, people shouldn't be punished for their religious views

• i think it should be your legal right to deny service to any customers whatsoever for no reason.

• Nope... buisnesses should be allowed to service their own ideals.

• And why doesn't it make a difference when its an event they don't want to cater and not the person?

• What if the company is run by a Muslim? Should the company still be punished?

• If they try to punish them, the libs will cry "Islamophobia"