Should your parents know about your sexual orientation?

I want to know your thoughts.. thanks

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends on what kind of relationship you have and want to have with them. I could not imagine being as close to another person as I am with my mother or with my children, and not sharing something so basic to one's identity and desires. On the other hand, it really is nobody else's business -- so no one *has* to their sexual orientation with a parent, but then what kind of relationship is it, really? And what does each person want it to be?

One of my daughters came out to me as bi-, and I would not be surprised if some day one of my sons acknowledges the same thing.

Most Helpful Girl

• Personally I've always felt it's a personal thing.
    I never came out as straight, and I think with gay being more accepted I don't think it should be a coming out thing. I think a child should be honest - this is my boy/girlfriend and if the parents feel a conversation is needed, fine.

All of this I'm bi/pan/left/right/a/dinosaur or whatever the new thing is now (pan sexual really annoys me with the whole "should I come out") why do we have to label every last aspect? You are straight, bi or gay. The rest is personality.

Your parents have probably worked out which way you are. And your parents will have raised you and said if they had issues and if you needed to chat to them. I know mine did.

What Guys Said 17

• I think so, yes. In order to be a loving parent, you should at least be interested what sexual orientation your son or daughter has (even if they don't want to tell you). Regardless of what somebody's sexual orientation is, I think it is fair to say that it is a big part of their identity; of who they actually are. If a parent doesn't care to know about that, it's like not caring what hobbies your child has or what type of job they want to work in.

• they think i am gay, they have never seen me with a girl, they also think i am virgin. i am straight and not virgin anymore though.

• My parents are suspecting that I am not straight. Which they are correct. I can like both genders if I make an emotional connection first.

But wh6 do they think you're gay? Bc they suspect you're a virgin? I don't see how that connects.

• Hmmm, I see.
      If I may ask, why haven't you been with a girl? Haven't found her yet?

• I've been with a girl. but we could not see each other all the time, she lived like an hour away from me with the train. sometimes i went to see her and i told my parents i went to the cinema or something lol.

• They've probably already figured it out, though possibly are in denial. If you're not ashamed of yourself, why not just spit it out?

• They don't have to know. I'm sure they'll find out eventually though.

• Sure. Why not?

• I have no idea why but my mom was starting to think that I was gay since I don't get to socialize with girls, so I said that I was straight.

• Are you tho? Straight, I mean, or did you say that to comfort your parents?

• @melme16 Sorry that came out wrong lol. I am %100 straight so I had to reassure her.

• I can't imagine anyone cares.

• Of course, it is vital part of who their partner is they have every right to know.

• How come? Why is it vital?

• Its part of their identity, she'll either be straight or Bisexual. In that case partner has the right to know she is bisexual. Is being attracted to other girls not important thing to know?

• You're an adult if you want to tell them go ahead.

• I am straight... i don't know how to tell them this. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

• No they don't need to know I'm straight

• I think they'd want to know if you're going to marry a girl.

• Of course. As long as they are supportive.

• "Mom? Dad? I'm... uhm... straight"

• If you feel comfortable telling them about it, then yes.

• Maybe eventually, but I won't cross the bridge until I come to it (if I come to it)

• no that's your private life

• I like this answer

• it has sod all to do with anyone else as long as you're happy

• thanks

What Girls Said 13

• My parents don't know about mine and that's how I prefer it. In an ideal world, yeah, they should know but sometimes things just don't work out like that.

• In most cases, yes. Unless you're afraid for your life, I think it's better to tell them.

One of my dear friends is gay and he will never tell his parents because they will beat and disown him. He doesn't want to lose that relationship with them, even though he no longer lives at home. His older sister knows. I'm not sure if his older brother knows (they're not very close). I think, personally, that his parents at least suspect that he's gay, but he never wants to tell them. I think the whole situation weighs on him a lot, but he doesn't have to tell them if he doesn't feel safe doing so.

• Unless you put your life at risk by telling them, yes, it's nothing to be ashamed of, whatever your sexuality.

• If they are good parents, if they love you and care about you, then yes, they have the right to know about your sexual orientation.
    But if they don't, your sexual orientation is none of their business.

• My parents have always been very liberal despite also being VERY career orientated.

They know I'm bisexual and date a lot.
    We just don't discuss my dating life.

• im straight and i haven't come out to them yet

• Obviously yes. What if you're getting married one day? Do you want them to have a heart attack... if they assume you're straight, but you're gay? Or you're gonna pass your wife off as a man for as long as possible?

• Yes 😊

• Yes, they've always known I'm a straight women. There is nothing to hide.

• Sure why not

• Well yeah, they create us lol

• But does that really givr them the right to know about our sexual orientation?

• Yes it does. Our sexual orientation is nothing to hide. Why keep it secret? I can scream my heterosexuality from a mountain top, I could t care less. Nor would my gay friends, bent and proud.

• no, if you want to suck him off go ahead

• Yes. They should know what to expect.