Why do nipples poke out in the cold while penises shrink?

Asking the important questions as always.

Most Helpful Girl

• Because the skin around the nipple gets all wrinkly (contracts), causing it (the nipple) to 'poke out' and get hard.
    A guys penis shrinks because the skin is pulling in and drawing the penis closer to the body for warmth. They're both doing the same thing essentially.

Most Helpful Guy

• I am no expert but I believe it is constricted blood flow to preserve heat - They obviously respond differently to the constriction - The testicles are tight to the skin as well, if they showed, they would be more prominent as well - Best guess is the nipples and penises are made from different things.
    Okay I went to Google which wasn't a great help but here are two quotes I got
    "Your penis gets smaller when it's cold because it is drawing itself close to the warmth of your body. The temperature of the penis and testicles is tightly regulated to protect the sperm, which are healthiest within a particular temperature range"
    Nipples :- "No one knows, but it's probably for the same reason that cold gives you goose bumps. Low temperatures stimulate the tiny muscles attached to your hair follicles, which cause the hairs to stand on end. In other, hairier mammals, this process, known as the pilomotor reflex, can produce a layer of insulation. In humans, it seems to be vestigial. The areolae (the colored areas surrounding the nipples) also have smooth muscle cells that contract when stimulated, and cold weather can make the skin pucker inward while the nipples stick out"

What Girls Said 17

• We do it intentionally to attract male attention.

lmao, that should be obvious. ( trololol)

All I know is that it happens, don't really care why.

• I knew it! The Jennifer Aniston conspiracy has been resolved.

• :O If women ask, you didn't hear it from me!

& If I disappear, then you need to get the word out! XD

• The world shall remember your brave sacrifice, until it forgets about it next week.

• After the conversation we had, really? 😂

• They're both doing the same thing, both are tightening up to trap heat. Nipples are spread out when not stimulated, and when they contract it's bunched up and hardened appearing to have grown but really doing the same thing a penis does.

• am kinda embarrased when this happens :(

• Boobs have social skills, when they're cold they ask for help/warmth, penises are loners, when they're cold they count on themselves for survival. ;)

• Lol! Love your logic. In that case, let me know when you need some warmth ;) xD

• Yes of course <3 , just looking out for you. Hypothermia is the enemy after all.

• Such devotion! you bring tears to my eyes. I can always count on you :*

• hahahha man your questions crack me up everytime I swear xD

• Both are contracting.

• nipples tighten up in the cold

• Clearly because women are the strongest sex.

• Nipples harden and contract slightly when cold as their own way of preserving heat.

• To attract a mate to cuddle you and keep you warm

• Like goosebumps, only, um, bigger.

• Lol! Cause God loved us more when he created women hahahs

• My boyfriend is the other way lol. He gets a boner when it's cold

• With nipples it is to create a shape that is more suited for a baby to latch on and eat.

Temperature control is important in penile and testicle health... so it hides to stay warm.

• 💀💀💀💀💀💀💀

• Because the Areola skin around the nipple shrinks up forcing the actual nipple to poke out or whatever. Cool turtle pic lmao 😄

• Thanks hahaI have many turtle pics. Probably too many.

What Guys Said 12

• Anatomical reasons. Nipples aren't composed of the same kind of erectile tissue as the penis. The penis becomes erect by the increase in blood flow, with the return valves for that blood flow closing to allow the blood to fill the empty spaces and make the penis hard. When a nipple becomes erect it's from a completely different process. Nipple erection is due to the contraction of smooth muscles fibers. (There are 3 types of muscle fibers in the body. Smooth muscles fibers are found in the nipple.) Those smooth muscles fibers are stimulated to contract from sensory stimuli like cold and touch.

• What do you really want Pacster? I mean do you want like physiology explination or WTF? I mean simple answer is that it has to do with blood flow and valves and so forth, long answer I suspect you don't care to hear, so just remember it as a rule of thumb! HAHA! If you want to know the details and will appreciate them, then ask! *shakes head back and forth slowly!* You weird little yella' muncher dude! LOL!

• Well I can't say why nipples do what they do, but balls have to be at a certain temperature so when it's hot out they retract from the body in order to maintain their core temperature and when it's cold outside they go up close to the body to keep the core temperature at the correct temperature and so our little swimmers don't die of the cold.

• For the same reason. The soft tissue around the nipple contracts in cold, forcing the hard part to become more prominent, while the soft part of the penis also contracts, but as there is no hard interior there is nothing to poke out.

• Nipples get hard because the skin tightens in the cold. Balls and dick shrink because it pulls them closer to the body to be warmer.

• I don't know but ladies keep it cold so we see dem nipples xD

• Because nipples and penises aren't the same thing.

• My nipples are always fully erect.

• I think you should go read high school science material.
    Especially, Contractions and expansions

• I get boners when it's cold out lol

• you're a freak of nature lol we have to study your physiology man.

• Nah but my balls contract when it's cold

• ICE IS ROCK HARD, SO IS NIPPLE.

ROCK HARD AND ICE COLD