How can I be nice to kids and make them like me?

I know this sounds stupid but I don't like kids at all and to me its so difficult to be nice to them because I can't fake things. lol im going on a volunteer trip in a week and I don't know what im going to be doing there.. i would prefer to be with animals or cooking or in the countryside but im too scared they tell me to stay with kids playing with them or teaching them stuff because I don't even know how to talk to them, I usually treat them as if they were adults...
its weird

Most Helpful Guy

• You know what? You've got the point. Treat them as the adults. Like this they can feel as equal partner. Talk to them as to adults. Like this they learn about responsibility. Actually I truly believe you giving them a favor. I'm treating the kids the same way and no complaints from their side.
    But if they're too young, let's say below 5 or 6 years, make something funny. Like voices, faces, etc.

What Guys Said 8

• Well that could be a bit of a tough cookie to crumble.. should you ever want to give it a try.. but pretty sure that at the right time you will do a fine job at it.. myself I have always babysat kids from babies to young teens and am right now.. well not this minute.. looking after a set of twin girls for some friends of mine that are still wearing diapers and rubber pants.. this has not only made me a very good diaper changer but also just reinforced just how well I have always gotten along with kids, take care now

• Depends on the kid's age. If they are bellow 5 all I have to do is make funny faces and voices, play with them and they love me lol. However, if they are older than 5 they might stop respecting you if you act like a clown. Thats when I guess you have to start having smart conversations with them. Ask them about their family, friends, pets, favourite toys, favourite tv shows, whatever. Also dont forget the occasional sweets bribe hah.

• I have the opposite situation. Kids seem to gravitate towards me because I like em. Kids might not be articulate yet, but they have great person reading skills. If you want them to like you, you need to find something you like about them.

Keep treating them like adults though. They bed it and appreciate not being talked down to.

I adore the honesty of kids. They don't tell white lies. If they feel something, good, bad, goofy, whatever, they tell you.

I miss the sense of wonder kids have as they learn about the world. It's easy to get jaded and lose sight of how awesome the world is. Kids can remind you.

• Give them free ice cream.
    Works every time.

• Kids, just like cats, can tell when a person doesn't like them and is faking and will stay way...

• Boobs = toys

2 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 2

• give them candies and act a bit as a kid... play together with them

• That is weird, and u can't make kids like u, u just got to be calming, try not to yell, stay calm,