Is it normal for parents to be verbally abusive?

My parents are verbally abusive. They call me names that no one has ever called me. Basically curse words A through Z, and hurtful things like "I can't wait until I get my new daughter. I don't want you anymore."
I hear other people saying "My parents hit me with a switch" or something bad, and that their parents cuss them out.
On the other hand, whenever I'm at my cousins house and her or her siblings does something wrong they only get yelled at. Which I would rather be yelled at than called unnecessary names and get told unnecessary things.

Am I overreacting? Is this a normal parent thing?

Also it would be helpful to say if your parents do so, if you want too!

Most Helpful Guy

• To be THAT abusive? NO!! That is not a normal parent thing to do. Yelling at a kid? Yes, especially if the kid did something wrong. But going as far as wanting a new daughter? That's crossing the line. I'm very sorry you seem to have crappy parents. Did you do something really bad to make them say that?

• I agree. I was in 3rd grade at the time. I don't remember. I couldn't have done anything too bad because I never was a bad child.

• Thanks very much for MHGO.

Most Helpful Girl

• It happens, I can relate

• Do you take it lightly like "oh, it's whatever" or do you feel like it's hurtful and makes you upset?

• I'll try using that line.

• Use one of yours, it feels more real

0/2500

Send It!

What Guys Said 3

• Its not normal for anyone to be verbally abusive. faced that shit for a long time with my parents. At some point, you gotta swing back.

• I used to remain silent and listen. Then I started fighting back, but now I find that it's better to just ignore them. There's no fuel for them if I ignore them.

• Been through this my whole life. I just started retailiating back. I bring it right back them. If my dad gets in my face I get right back in his face. It's actually working too.

What Girls Said 16

• It's not normal. My dad is exactly the same and has been for years, treating me differently to my brothers which is why I'm moving...

• Yes my mom was terrible at it

• No, it's not normal and its abusive. I'm so sorry you have to go through that. I hope you don't believe what they say when they're abusive. My parents yelled at me, I've yelled at my own kids but I never experienced verbal abuse from them nor do I do this with my own kids.

• NOT normal whatsoever.

My father would always have to rescue me from my mothers manic outbursts.

• I don't wanna say it's normal, my prents abuse me verbally all the time though. On a daily basis really.

• Oh you poor thing your parents don't deserve to have such a daughter as wonderful as you listen when the time you get far as way as possible and get a good job and get a good education take care

• It is not normal, It can affect child's confidence and even future.

• It's pretty normal for parents to be verbally and even physically abusive but that doesn't make it right

• That is not a normal parent thing and is not okay. Don't think that you're overreacting

• No it's not normal. Your parents are verbally abusive.

• It is never normal. Doesn't matter your family or not.

• No, your parents are verbally abusive. That's not normal, and your parents are really fucked up.

• This is not normal for parents at all. I suggest you do something about this, before it gets worst or out of hands.

• No they are in the wrong, they should not put you down like that

• Yes I can relate and I'm sorry you had to go through that.

• It's okay. Sorry you had to too!

• No.. They do have mental problems... I got called stupid dead vagina in chinese 😛