Just wondering why do mothers get full legal naming rights of a baby?

hi
i was wondering why the law is so unfair to men in the naming of children as i understand the father gets no legal say what so ever in the name of his child and the mother can name the baby whatever see likes and he can do nothing about it even the baby having the fathers last name is up to the mother so if parents are meant to be equal then why do fathers get zero legal say in the baby's name but the mother gets 100% say no matter what seems very unfair to me

thank u for reading

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, thats the law's business. Its always unfair when it comes to fathers and kids. Don't give a crap about what the law thinks, only what the mother thinks and if she decides that she only gets a say and I don't, all hell breaks loose. And i don't think she'll like that very much.

• lol then u run the risk of her not letting u see the baby at all until courts get involved

• oh well thank u very much kind sir

• very welcome... anytime.

Most Helpful Girl

• My son's dad and I chose his name together.
    He also has his dad's last name. Because of how things are with us right now, I want to change that and give my son my surname, but I cannot legally do that without my ex's permission, and he's never going to let me.
    I carried my son, I gave birth to my son, I took care of him when my ex got himself sent to prison for a year, and I'm still doing it now, yet he's not allowed to share the same surname as me.
    What's fair and what's not when it comes to men and women or to mothers and fathers is not so cut and dried.

• i know u cannot change it once the baby has been named i mean say u just gave birth and it is time to name the baby but u and the baby's father disagree on the name but the baby is both of yours so why dose the law only let the mother pick the name with zero input from the father

• I only know about UK law, other than that I'm not sure. Here, a man can take his pregnant partner to court if he wishes, but it's highly unlikely he will win as he has no rights

As for afterwards, you can absolutely take it to court. You can apply to change a name - This is what I've just been going through with my own solicitor , but again that's regarding a surname. I don't know about first names, but I assume it's the same procedure. You do need an uncontestable reason to change a name though, otherwise you don't stand a good chance of winning.
      Or if it's about a father wanting to fight for his rights to a joint decision, he can apply for it. It all depends on whether he feels it's all worth it.

• i do live in the uk so i know most of what u are saying i am just saying it is unfair that a women gets to name the baby but the guy has to pay to go to court just so he gets a say in the name and if left of the birth certificate he has to go to court still to get equal rights where as the mother gets them free so unfair to men

What Guys Said 6

• That is not the law in Florida.

• really so fathers do get a say in Florida

• He is a lawyer, and more believably a lawyer than you are.

• @LaVilaine i never said i was a lawyer where did u get the idea i was a lawyer from

• They don't the mother and father sit down and pick the name.

• Parenthood related topics are one of the areas where women are the most privileged.
    About the only parenthood "privilege" of men is paying the child support.

• i agree with u i do find it unfair to men

• @Carefuloutthere
      Yes it is.
      Noncustodial mothers are rarely ordered to pay child support and when they are it is half of what the men have to pay and they mostly avoid paying it.
      Non paying deadbeat moms are actually FAR more prevalent than deadbeat dads and are FAR less likely to be legally prosecuted, in fact if the dad desires to take the issue further they may actually end up with their custody rights "re-evaluated" instead.
      And because we live in the vagina controlled world that we live in, the custodial father may actually be ordered to PAY "child support" to the noncustodial mother... simply because she earns less than the father.

Not to mention there are plenty of ways for the mother to legally get out of parental responsibility for their children, whereas there are none for the fathers.

• "Non custodial mothers are rarely ordered to pay child support" That's actually not true provided she has a steady income.
      If either parent doesn't have an income, exceptions are made, for either party. In a straight forward case, she will be ordered and expected to pay it, unless the father chooses to refuse it for whatever reason.
      Child support is worked out depending what each parent makes individually plus their combined total income, and as men generally make more money than women, that's why their Child support, is sometimes more.

I was explaining to the asker though, I am in the UK. I don't know about the laws elsewhere.

• is that true? thats terrible.

• from what i have read on the internet and seen happen with my brother i am going to say yes

• ill ask my mom, see what she says.

• thanks for being so helpful

• Cause we live in manish world?

• You're right. That caused a BIG riff between my friend & his wife. They named the baby & several months later she (without telling/asking him) changed the babys first name.

• that is not right to just change the name like that and sometimes i am very thankful to be a girl

What Girls Said 3

• I feel like a lot of you worry about problems that you've never even faced yet.

When it comes to children, women do have the advantage. Idunno if it will always be that way, but I think the way our biologies are has a huge influence on that. I think until you take the childbearing process out of the woman, it will likely always be in the woman's favor unless she's deemed incompetent.

• what is carrying and giving birth have to a baby have to do with naming the baby as when u name the baby it has already been born so why do fathers get zero legal say in the name

• ... Men totally have a say in the naming of the child.

However, if the father of the child isn't involved, it's kind of difficult to grant him the right to name the child.

• but legally the mother can just say fuck u i am naming this baby what i want and by law he can do nothing about it

• Uh, yes you do. If they're not married, you have to make sure that he's the father. If it's just some random guy off the street, you cannot give legal rights over a dependent to him. Until that can be proven, he gets squat. That is the law.

Most cases involve a couple who decide together. If the father is not in the picture for whatever reason, his claim must be determined before he gets any legal rights to prevent kidnappings.

What part of that does not make sense to you?

• the part that is unfair to the men so in ur logic the mother get her legal rights automatically right ok that is fine but then on the other hand the father has to pay money to get the same legal rights that the mother gets free how is that fair to the father because the father can be a great guy but because he is not with the mother or if the mother is just mean he has to pay a lot of money just to be legally equal to the mother whereas the mother pays nothing so how is that fair

• i was named by my mom but my dad agreed