U.S. General Ash Carter ends ban on transgenders from serving in the military. Thoughts?

General Carter ends ban on transgender individuals from serving in the military. What are your thoughts, concerns and opinions on the matter? http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/30/politics/transgender-ban-lifted-us-military/ Personally, I feel that the government should be pushing science and logic not politics. And I'm confused how do you group them? What goes under the sex for the ID card? So many questions.

Most Helpful Guy

• this is fucking discrimination, im so fucking mad because of this. i am not allowed in the military because i have ADHD and then these transgenders who have body dysphoria are allowed the military. fuck this world.

• You sir hit the nail on the head. ADHD doesn't keep people from performing in the military. This is something that has also been brought up. The military deniea flat foots and a ton of other things but they allow a mental disorder and pay for them to transition and in the long run will have to pay for the host of problems hormone replacements cause. Very much so political.

• this political correctness is ridiculous and it is ruining our society. political correctness is basically ''your rights end where my emotions begin'' but here is the following. why are people that are transgender, who obviously have a disorder getting unfair advantages, and me with ADHD which is much less severe than the body dysphoria thats they have are not allowed in the military. this is ridiculous, this is discrimination.

What Guys Said 20

• So, people with a particular severe mental illness are going to be allowed in the military? What could possibly go wrong?

• who knows. it will be interesting how this plays out.

• Where did you read this? I didn't mention anything about feelings. I quoted a scientific article.

• If you're so proud of being oh-so knowledgable about science, then how come you're just spouting bullshit and taking wild guesses about me without supporting your claims without any rational arguments? You might have missed the memo but science is about evidence, not just being a child and yelling something at someone and quickly running away.

• I don't see it as an issue except for health reasons (they have to take hormone blockers and such which would be an issue and technicly they still have a different physiology and bio chemistry which would make emergency care difficult) and social interaction reasons. Otherwise as long as they can function and do exactly what they have to ie not a lower standard of testing, then it would be fine (but again the other issues are not so easily dismissed).

• General Carter did not end the ban. He only announced the end of it.
    And who can serve in the military is a question for government, which is politics, and has little to do with "science".

• my point is a society that preaches science and we base things off science doesn't practice what they preach. and tricare will pay for the transitioning of the trans soldiers. Its politics when tricare pays for close to nothing in general to begin with.

• True about that. But that is not just the military, it is true across most of government. But it does mess with the Marine recruitment posters.
      Join the Marines and become a man
      is now
      Join the Marines and become whatever gender you wish.

• lol...
      Or switch back... we don't care. Are there places for people who are both sexes as well?
      It is all so confusing... I dont think I'd put them in front line work unless it is proven they are better at it. Will be more challenge to manage.

• Not only did he lift the ban, he directed that they can go through their full "transition" while in the military. That's really what we need for our military readiness: people with gender identity disorder being encouraged to "transition" while they're on the front lines. It's stupid, insane, and lunacy. But such are the times we live in.

• yea, tricare will cover it. Interesting though being tricare covers little to nothing.

• I see nothing wrong with it. they'll have to work out the kinks of course as to assigned gender vs biological, but I see nothing wrong with it. They are citizens of these United States just as much as the rest of us and can choose to fight for OUR country as much as anyone else can. I feel if you are a citizen of the U. S. (with proper background checks of course etc ect) you should be able to serve in its military, no questions asked.

• The entire gay and transgender agenda that concerns the military is to destroy the combat effectiveness of the military, so that globalist controlled politicians will have an easier job of convincing the public that robots should be used.
    They want robots because (a) the military industrial complex will make a lot of money out of supplying robots and (b) robots will not refuse orders to massacre civilians who oppose tyrannical government.
    The age of the Terminator is almost upon us.

• They will endanger their fellow soldiers. The same way men and women should be is separate units, if transgenders really do start serving, they should have non-combat roles, like driving.

• Yes, this made me wonder. are they allowed to serve comabt roles. Trans people have to be on hormones for the rest of their lives how does that work if your at war. They can expect you to have hormonea readily for them.

• Sadly these question have been addressed.. they could transfer into the new GENDER (male--->Famle) in every way.. to include PT scores and such.. they will also get medical support from the military to complete the sex change... argh so tax dollars going to cut off wangs?

• Well, they can't change their sex that is DNA but they can take hormones. But I dont see that happening. the military and VA doesn't cover most things to begin with. If they cover the cost of transitioning im sure soldiers, veterans and families won't be happy.

• as a Vet im not happy at all about it... and this is part of the reason i left the service.

• That is bullcrap! We have people dying every single day waiting to get into the VA and they are going to pay for someones sex change? Ridiculous.

• I have no issue - If a person wishes to sign up, one they pass the medical and psychological tests then why not.

• You don't think it's odd they do this so soon after women are put into the draft? I'm not American but I'd say they were just opening it up to the entire USA population.

It's not politics. It's numbers.

• women dont have anything to do with someone identifies as. Women are on the draft. Yes, but the likely hood of them being drafted isn't very high.

• It's all part of the reform to recruitment isn't it?

• Recruitment yes. But when you normalize something that is delusion for political correctness its like why teach science and not feelings.

• A meat puppet is a meat puppet. Why discriminate against the willing?

• Some arguments say it puts people in harm. No female has been able to do what male solders have done. So how to transmen fit in. Id cards cause a problem. The military doesn't allow flat foots, people with eye sight problems meaning if you dont have 20/20 without glasses it will be harder to get in... etc So many things the military would have to change for it to be equality. And who pays for the transitioning. And why is the military denying science vs politics.

• So are you saying women should be prohibited from joining the military?

• @BlueCoyote... women are in female units most of the time and having to meet female standards. i clearly stated that

• Military is for men, not for walking periods that are emotionally unstable half of the month and queers who will turn into a psychological jelly once their hormonal medication runs out.

• Disgraceful.

• If people want to serve then they should be allowed to plain and simple.

• If these patriotic transgenders want to serve then let them serve

• No one should be banned from serving in the military, providing that they are capable of serving in the military.
    Of course, those who are capable will mainly be cisgender males. But you get the idea.

• I don't have a problem with it

• Your service in the US Military should be based on your biological sex.

• I do think it will cause a lot of problems for requirements based on sex. Like will transgender men have to held up to the same standards as men? Will they be in male or unisex units?

• That's why the military should disregard your "identity".

• He's SecDef. Get it right.

• it's disgusting

What Girls Said 4

• I personally think they should be banned only because the transition process I think would get in the way. Hormone therapy and replacement means extreme emotional changes and body changes and is mentally taxing, not to mention we can't even decide what bathrooms they should use, how the fuck are we going to decide on the bunker they sleep in?

It's completely stupid. We aren't ready for that yet. America is running a 5k marathon with our shoes untied. Something bad is going to happen with this. I'm all for equality, but I'd rather we do it when we're ready for it and I just don't think we are right now.

• Tricare is paying for it. Now that was shocking.

• I don't really have any concerns. I don't see an issue with it, if they wanna serve, it's fine.

• Personally I think if you are overseas fighting for my right to even voice my opinion on this issue, I don't care who you are, who you choose to have sex with, or what you identify as. You could have sex with a pie, and I would heat it up for you.

• Do you really believe the Klinger (MASH reference) will be an effective soldier?
      Clearly, you have no military experience.

• I think it poses more of a problem in how do they get grouped. How can the military pay for all of the problems the comes with hormone therpay. And what happens if they deploy , they have to be on hormones their entire lives how can you get hormones to someone if your at war? And are they allowed to do active duty.

• True, @asker that appears to be a grey area and I think it depends on their position

• I think they would be divided based on their chosen gender. I don't see it as an issue.