What do you think about living in your car?

I lived in my car for like a month and a half and used to go to gym and have showers daily. I was a uni student and saved plenty of money of rent this way. Foods had to be brought daily as no refrigeration was available. What do you think about this
And my car was spacious enough to sleep in decent comfort, the times that I wasn't sleeping I was studying in the library, I live in a party flat now but thinking about getting a van and doing it again

• weird
  • Smart
  • Only if you have too

Most Helpful Girl

• I've done it before, no biggie. I always felt safe too for some reason

• Woah really, never would of expected a girl to be up for something like that haha. How long did you do it for?

• You deserved it :) also marry me we can have a honeymoon in the car lol

• What a plan! ☺️

Most Helpful Guy

• I lived in my car for a while myself when I hit a rough spot and had no other options. It definitely gets old and I wouldn't do it again unless I absolutely had to. A lot of it depends on what the car is tho. I was in a Honda Civic which was basically like a sarcophagus I had no room. A van might be alright like a mini camper. Really sucks after a while tho in my opinion

• I have a Mitsubishi diamante, the front seats reclined enough for me to sleep easy, but a flat surface if a van will be so much better. But I dunno if it's worth the savings as I'm sacrificing a lot from my youth

• Yea haha you can't really bring a girl back to kick it in the Mitsubishi all night haha it's nice to have extra money but it's also nice o have a pad to call your own.

• Lol there have been some close calls, but then just felt bad haha and called it off. The place I'm at now is decent and so much easier to be like Netflix and chill instead of Mitsubishi and chill

What Girls Said 5

• Only if you have to...

• I'd do it only if I have to, but glad it worked out for you.

• Yes I remember, you are fairy tale lady

• There's no enough space for me so I am not gonna live there 😊

• Smart but I don't think I would be able to do that unless it was necessary.

• I wouldn't mind too much. I'm adaptable.

• U say that now but once you start missing your hair straightener in the morning I know some girls go crazy

• Lol I straighten my hair like only once a month anyways.

What Guys Said 14

• The van way is awesome. If you need to know more the common term for it is stealth camping. There is lots of info on the web for you from van conversion tutorials to space saving ideas.

They think tiny houses are a new idea. Ha.

• It's actually called Walmart... you can talk to a store manager and get permission to park overnight. Stealth camping actually refers to illegal 'camping'... i. e. with a tent/tarp.

But if you're Canadian you can get around this by looking for crown land with general use privileges in which case you're basically allowed to do anything you want on it short of building permanent structures.

• I've never actually lived in my car, but there was a time in my life when I was getting most of my sleep in my car (I was going through a tough time everywhere in my life except for my car, so that's the only place I could find any escape lol).

Well anyway, physically I had no problems with comfortably sleeping in my car, BUT the problem is the mental aspect: there's always that little bit of anxiety that you'll get attacked by an opportunistic criminal or found and forced to move by a policeman, so I rarely ever got a perfect rest. I would dream all the time that a shadowy figure was peering into my driver-side window. :o

I quickly found that there were actually very VERY FEW parking areas to sleep in my car that hit a sweet spot of conditions: quiet but not too sparsely occupied that it would leave me too visible (to robbers or cops)... and safe from crime but at the same time not likely to bring security guards or police knocking on my window lol.

In the long term, it's just not worth the trouble.

• I always wanted to try it, I think I would like the life actually.

• I wanna do it for fun, and since my car is a Lincoln Town Car the back seats (and the front with the center console up) is like a fucking bed.
    The car itself is 6.5 feet wide, so the seats are probably 6' wide, and I'm only 5'8" so yeah.
    Hell, maybe I'll sleep in there tonight, that's a good idea.

• If I had to I could I'd trade in my car for a windowless van and set that up real nice with a. Bed. Have a few car batteries for charging my phone and laptop. Cut a vent in so I could cook. Have a guard dog. Have special shades I make myself for the front windows or make a door and wall by the front. I'd probably adapt pretty well.

• Only if you have to.

• Nothing wrong with that... I camped out for 6months before.

• I'd only do it if I absolutely needed to. And if I did, I would need to be in an escalade or some shit and buy a shotgun and a dog for security purposes

• Done it. Not good long term.

• Yeah it does become a bland life without internet and good food haha. I even almost got robbed while I was sleeping in there. They shattered my back windscreen

• Yeah but if I get a van, and just put a mattress I think I should be good

• I've always wanted a RV. I wouldn't mind living in one actually. Life on the move. I like it.

• it can be quite useful especially in these economic times. but sometimes there is questionable legality which you need to take into consideration.

• It's smart but too I'm not living in it

• If I had to, I'd be fine with it.

• It would be difficult, I don't own a car.

• Just interested since you live in the USA how do you get around in the USA without a car. They generally do not believe in public transport systems in the USA do they? or is that more said than is true? Not trying to be offensive just curious.

• Yes, they are increasing our trains in Auckland, NZ. They say there will be a train every 6 minutes at peak times in most parts of Auckland.

• Right now they are every 10 minutes during peak hours but they want them about every 6 minutes during peak hours.