Black, Asian, Hispanic and others?

When talking to somebody online, if your picture isn't showing, do you feel you need to tell them that you're not white before getting too deep into conversation?
I just ask because I know some who do, mainly because of how many racists seem to love the Internet and i was wondering how common this is.

• I tell them
  • I let them find out for themselves
  • I have never thought to mention it

Most Helpful Guy

• My pic is up so it is a moot point - I have a funny thing when I talk to people online maybe because I am from Ireland which is 95% plus white but I subconsciously think everyone is white and sometimes get a surprise "Wow, you are Black or Asian" - On the whole controversial views aspect I would wait till I knew someone pretty well before I would go off the debate anyway about 99% of my views are safe, middle ground views so it shouldn't be a problem.

Most Helpful Girl

• I tell them after some time. I feel better after telling them, it's like taking a weight off my shoulders.
    Plus, if I say nothing it will be like I'm pretending to be someone else and I don't like that.

What Guys Said 9

• Probably depends where you live. Here in the San Francisco Bay area it's not a big deal. All races are a minority, even whites, so there's no race assumptions.

• No? I mean... what are you talking about that requires you to declare as non-white?

• I don't see my race having anything to do with who I am as a person so no.

• I tell them. Judging by my profile pic, it's clear that I'm a Korean American and a gothic one at that.

Too bad that it doesn't attract much white women, since that's the only race I'm attracted to, and most of them prefer white or Latino men.

• People are people online.

• I dont see any reason for telling my color before chatting.. Yeah i tell where i am from and its enough

• Depends what it was for. If it seems like things are getting a little deep i. e. connection then I'd inform them of that detail.

• i tell em

• I've stopped posting my picture because when I do everyone starts asking me for "420" or shows me their bong like I give a damn. I don't know where that stereotype came from but I hate it and hate drugs.

If you mean romantic pursuits? Well a long time a go I started getting close to this girl online but once we traded pics she said "Sorry, I only date white guys." It sucked but at least she was honest.

What Girls Said 7

• I have tons of pictures of me on my profile so they already know I'm not white no need to say anything about it lol.

• I do unfortunately, that's the society we live in. White people can have their pick but people of color cannot. Sucks.

• lmfao i usually drop in my ethnicity real quick so i can blame any dumb things i say on cultural difference XD

• what? why would someone need to know if you're white to further the convo? that's sort of stupid. People who only want to talk to specific race and not others is kind of dumb.

• They usually asked me where I was from, and that's how they found out my ethnicity.

• Unless you are looking for a relationship... It shouldn't matter.

• I have never thought to mention it even though i'm White and talk with Asian / latino I never think my race would be a problem