Have you ever settled for less?

I've heard of people doing it with dating but I've only experienced it with my previous job but thank God that's over with. Have you ever settled for less on something or someone?

Most Helpful Girl

• For a lot of jobs, yes, and for one boyfriend - which just didn't work (who knew xD) and so... yes, but it never worked out. As expected.
    So nowadays I know that that never works for me and that if I'm not happy in it, I won't stay there long, so why even go there if I know it's going to end that way...

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 11

• My current job lol... I work in retail (clothes store), but I am going to college still to be a school counselor... unfortunately I don't get to use my artistic talent or knowledge of psychology too much. Luckily... fashion is kinda like art/creative!! Plus, I am helping people :) !!

• Yes, unfortunately, and it was the worst decision ever. This guy who was in my class in high school asked me to be his girlfriend at our senior homecoming (even though we had never even been on a date) and when I rejected him as politely as I could (seeing as I was not completely over my ex who I had recently broken up with as well), he just said "Oh, come on!" and tried to talk me into it in kind of a manipulative way, which should've been a red flag from the beginning.
    After that, he kept whining that I wouldn't even give him a chance, and I felt awful for rejecting him, so I let him take me on a few dates. He was really nice and treated me really well, although I wasn't physically attracted to him and found him to be immature. I stupidly figured that he'd grow out of the immaturity and that he'd grow on me and I'd get over my lack of physical attraction to him, and we dated for a while after that. I wasn't truly happy throughout the relationship, and his true colors started to show. He came from a very dysfunctional family and it showed in his behavior. He started becoming more manipulative and eventually frustrated with me, and several times when he did things like show up where we were supposed to meet 45 minutes late, call me an idiot to impress his friends, and make fun of me and everything I did and I would bring it up and tell him how I felt about it, he would find a way to try to turn the tables on me. I eventually broke up with him as gently as I could and told him I didn't want animosity, but he is still upset about it to this day. He tried to manipulate his way back into a relationship, but I was done.
    I will never try to settle in a relationship again, or try to form one with someone I have no feelings for or don't find attractive. I learned the hard way that if it's not there, it's not there, and you can't force it or expect someone to eventually grow on you. I feel really stupid about it, but it was a lesson learned, and at least he can't say I didn't give him his chance. But never again.

• I never dated and the only guy i was with was a guy from here and purely online lol
    No I haven't settled for less, he was cool but it just didn't work out because
    1) online
    2) He was kinda ignoring me at the end so I started losing feelings naturally.

• Not really.

• Never...

• Yep, absolutely have. With a person. On many occasions unfortunately.

• You've got out of that situation right?

• I've been with more than one man who I accepted less than what I deserved. I hope to never do that again. I've learned a lot and I sure am out of that situation now.

• I always settle for less because I don't feel like I deserve better. I'm working on it.

• No. I don't settle for less.

• For jobs yes... but I love my job now.

• Yes I have settled for less in a job and in dating and it didn't turn out to well... it was a literal mess

• Yes when I was young I didn't know better. Now I'm older and know I can do so much better. I never settle for anything or anyone less. I want the whole package. The best of the best.

What Guys Said 10

• I settle for less when it's not important like... If my steak comes out slightly over, i'm not going to send it back lol. For a car though, i'll walk away if i don't get what i want at the price i want. I'd generally not settle if its ME making the choice though - cars, women etc.

A job is slightly different, because it's someone offering YOU the job, i would say i'd take a lower paid position if it was beneficial to my long-term career (stable company, advancement through merit etc.).

• I think the job thing is one of the most important things not to settle for less on! But taking something that would benefit your long-term career over a higher page position isn't necessarily "settling", it's just taking a long-term reward over a short-term one because you think it will be more valuable in the end.

• But for example I'm in the process of finding a new job right now because I'm tired of "settling" for the one I have because it's limiting in all factors... lower than market pay, little room for advancement, a couple hard to deal with co-workers, etc.

• It is such a common thing to hear people say 'I won't settle for less". However, either out of lonliness or social pressure, many people settle on someone who isn't a good match for them relationship -wise.

• Sadly those people just gave up. It's a shame really.

• @finelygirl89 the reason isn't always lonliness either! Sometimes there is peer pressure from friends and family to not be single.

• Yes, but always do what makes you happy.

• Nope. I never settle

• Was a manager at a bank with a really high class position. I had to oversee 16 countries in Africa. My role was to make sure that any massive company (like apple for example) opening accounts in Africa, went smoothly. I plugged their accounts in without hassle. I had to know all the financial laws and workings of each country. To get into Australia, I had to take a massive step back (run a pub in the outback) did that for a month until I found another better job as business development manager. Still a step back but in terms of life, a major leap. Rather be a peasant in Australia than a king in South Africa. You will not believe how many top CEOs from South Africa do things like cut grass, do house repairs etc in Australia.

• Not yet.

• When it comes to relationships there are two types.
    Ones that make me happy and ones that don't.
    Happy ones are good unhappy ones can fuck off.

Settling for more or less. Doesn't matter to me.

• I have. I was sick of being a virgin and being rejected by the hot and average women, so I ended up asking out a fat woman just to lose my v-card.

• I used to settle for less in jobs because I didn't have the confidence to apply for better ones, but yeah these days I won't settle for less on anything!

• I have. Never again.

• Only in a lawsuit against a crazy "doctor".