Do you believe people in general need a class on empathy?

When you tell people your problem do they respond in empathy and understanding or not? For me most of the time people are just judgmental or try to solve my problem or reason for me why my life sucks instead of just trying to understand the feelings I am feeling. What about you? Do you think most people are or are not empathetic?
How do you deal? I just stop telling people my feelings and post on here instead. Thank you guys

• Yes, I think people would benefit from more empathy
  • No, most people have it already

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, the world would be better if it were so.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah there are many people who'd benefit from more empathy, when someone vents to me or tells me about their problems i try to listen and understand what they're feeling. I've come in contact with plenty who just tries to judge me or something though

What Guys Said 18

• "For me most of the time people are just judgmental or try to solve my problem or reason for me why my life sucks instead of just trying to understand the feelings I am feeling."

Translation "I just want a shoulder to cry on and not actually get advice to fix my issues you judgmental asshole."

• Sometimes that's what you need.

• If someone punched you in your face, would you rather someone tell you that it is your fault for happening to be in the way, or they tell you that you should relax the other was just hava bad day, or psychoanalyze you saying your attitude made you get hit, or tell you ah it's not so bad, or maybe say it's probably your fault you got hit or would you like them to say that they know getting hit hurts, you're probably feeling offended someone would just punch you.

• You don't even if your advice would solve their problems, you don't know everything. You don't even know they have already tried. You are trying to solve the problems with out even trying to understand.

• Most everyone has empathy already. It is a natural human trait. Just like how most everyone has a sense of humor. You don't need to be taught how to laugh, and you don't need to learn how to be empathic to those around you.
    It isn't that people need MORE empathy, it is that they need to stop squashing their empathy. We live in a culture that places personal needs, personal wants, personal happiness, etc, all above and beyond anyone else. Naturally, we should care about our own well being, but traditionally, many people had others, friends and family, that they put first, and knew their own needs would be met because other people would also put them first.
    That isn't the case anymore. The idea of putting others before your self is not derided, and selfishness is praised.

• Yes... Facebook likes won't save someone's life... and shame to the companies that 'promote' it >.>

Yes... we need more 'Action & Empathy' an this is coming from someone who doesn't 'sugar coat' anything. :v

Got a little off track there... blame it on the coffee. :v

• Socrates:

http://oi66.tinypic.com/14ipw8l.jpg

Aristotle

http://i65.tinypic.com/rlkmqd.jpg

And Christianity copied that in the Bible (then forgot about it)

• Yes, especially Americans, since so many of them lack empathy. Things like this make me want to immigrate to Europe.

• You don't have to go, you just have to show yourself empathy and that should help. I am in a similar boat. But I know what you mean. I crave it so bad too.

• Yes, people do not learn it and in fact males are discouraged saying it's "a sissy thing"

• Yes I see what you mean. I wish everyone had more empathy

• You can't teach empathy. You can teach sympathy disguised as empathy but it's not the same thing.

• I think you can try to. I think it is possible.

• I am not arguing with anyone. I am telling myself to believe in myself.

• Yeah they clearly do

• That would be nice, but to each his own.
    I show empathize with almost everyone I meet. It's pretty entertaining to put someone in other people's shoes... then I get bored of it and walk away.

• Are you Japanese? I had a great Japanese friend who was really good at being empathetic. We drifted away from each other because of life

• Nah , we all have those friends :3

• When you have a problem there are people that help you try and solve it and that upsets you. That's awesome.
    Having a shoulder to cry on is useless if you can't fix your problem.
    Or are you looking for both?

• I want to solve my own problems my way. I just want people to empathize with me, I think it's because I am looking for approval for having feelings and being ok to feel the way I do. I don't need anyone telling me how to live my life. How do they know if I am that kind of person? How do they know if I have not already tried it? How do they even know if it's going to work for me?

• So you just want a shoulder to cry on.
      Just tell the person you're confiding it that.

• Yeah I do. If someone has a heart attack or something nobody will help or anything, people just stand there and stare like a statue.

• I think that more empathy will be the answer to less suicides, but that's just me

• A good number of us have it to the point where we're just too afraid of offending someone.

• Yeah, I'm trying to get laid, but no one seems to understand. Everyone thinks I got some hidden agenda to destroy this planet. Perhaps, I do, but that's not important! Getting laid is!!!

• whats an empathy?

• no. they probably don't care, or you bother them, or they don't really understand.

• No, most people have it already – at least, I HOPE they do... If they don't I'll be very sad and disappointed...

• No, most people have it already

What Girls Said 5

• Some of my dearest friends, who are most loyal, kind and thoughtful of all, have ASPD, better known by the slur 's*ci*p*thy', and more or less completely lack empathy. Their lack of empathy didn't stop them from being good people and doing the right thing.

The people who are so judgmental, I don't think their problem is they don't feel empathy so much... You can feel genuinely bad for someone you mistreat! Many monstrous men really believed they were doing the best thing for their victims (I am thinking especially of Fritzl). You know what I mean? Their problems are bigger.

• Thats so true, if they were in my situation, they would see it differently.

• Yes, absolutely.

• Yup.

• No, a class isn't going to do much