Do you laugh when you're in pain?

Okay so I know this is a weird question but I've noticed that I do this a lot. Like just yesterday I scraped my knee falling down on concrete, it was bleeding, and it hurt so badly and I was for some reason laughing uncontrollably. I wanted to cry, but I just kept laughing. What the fuck is wrong with me? This has happened a lot before like one time I was running and I fell and land on my elbow and the pain god but I was laughing.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's a coping mechanism... it's not that weird at all.

What Guys Said 12

• No my whole family does it and myself included. It happens when I feel a lot of pain

• hahaah I am the exact same way. Wether its physical pain, or maybe i do or say something stupid. I guess im just embarrased and try to mask it by adding humor to the situation, telling jokes about what happened or just laughing and trying to trick my brain that it dosnt hurt or somthing.

• Not weird tbh
    I do the same

• Depends on if I do something stupid. I was doing some martial arts weapon training the other day, and hate myself with a stick. It was fairly stupid, so I burst out laughing. If it hurts a lot I don't like it though. Not sure why you're laughing :)

• I usually laugh and use every cuss word I know in English, Spanish, and Italian, lol.

• I agree with the others. I was laughing when I pretty much cut off my thumb because I felt so stupid that I actually did that. And yes, my thumb is fine and works almost 100%. Lol

• Yes I laugh when I get hurt. I don't really care for people worrying over me, so if I laugh it off they'll think I'm okay.

• nope that never happened to me

• Psycho?

• Well if I'm physco I guess everyone else who this happens to us physco too. (People who commented on this post) I disagree. Someone commented it's just a coping mechanism I guess it's that.

• I guess if it was a minor injury it's understandable. I was thinking something more severe.

• It's just a laugh why is it a big deal, and why would you call someone a physco because of it? just curious, not mad at all.

• meh, it's normal.

• Only if it's because of tickling.
    Seriously I friggin' hate tickling.
    It's horrible.

• not me

What Girls Said 7

• It is not wrong, or weird or disturbing. It is a way of dealing with the pain. Plus, pleasure (laughing etc.) and pain activates the same part in the brain. Maybe this is the reason.

I myself try to laugh at my pain so I feel happy and produce some hormones that will help me cope with my pain.

• I do that sometimes, especially when I am clumsy.
    I also laugh hysterically when I am upset or angry... and then my anger actually shows.

• I usually laugh when I hurt myself because usually the reason that I hurt myself is doing something stupid, and I just think of how much of an idiot I am for doing it to begin with.

• Yea, when i tore my ACL i was laughing so hard that they thought I hit my head on the way down from my fall. I couldnt cry , I dont think I've ever cried from pain i just laugh or just cuss a lot.

• Yes, i usually feel so awful i end up laughing hysterically instead of really crying, it feels quite disturbing and wrong since it's not... What i want to do

• Omg, I trip all the time and I just laugh

• sometimes